accident on Upper Thames this morning

boondog
boondog Posts: 205
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone witness me being hit by a taxi this morning on the corner of Upper Thames St and Puddle Dock ?
He decided to ignore the left hand slip road into Puddle Dock off Upper Thames St and go around the concrete island, and then turn left with no indication. I shouted and managed to scrub off some speed, but hit the side of the taxi and then came off. Meanwhile he drove off .. luckily I have his number and have reported him, so lets see what happens.

My bike is mangled and my ribs hurt. I'm annoyed at the prospect of public transport for the next 1-2 weeks !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 03294&z=19

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sorry to hear that.

Good that you got his plates though, if I was you I'd get checked up asap, there could be longer term issues than just bruising & a record of a visit to the doctors could be crucial for any future claims.

Best of luck.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    edited March 2010
    were you on the island there by puddle dock about 8.50? think i may have seen you there on the phone, slowed down and you looked ok, so carried, on. Sh!t sorry to hear that.

lots of taxi's do that, dont think they're officially allowed to take that 2nd left, but its short cut, prpbably why he didnt stop...

just to let you know, i was knocked off by a taxi bout 6 months ago, badly broken arm, still not 100%, but didnt get the taxi reg, so never have been able to do anything, good luck with chasing him up!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Glad it's not worse, boondog. I actually wondered whether the taxi in front of me would do that very same thing at that spot this morning.

Write everything down for the purposes of any witness statement and draw a diagram. Get you and your bike checked out asap and don't post anything else on here which may harm your case (it's a public forum after all) - just requests for info and witnesses - and keep a record of the expenses incurred as a result of the accident and any receipts and invoices etc.

Get a solicitor involved asap. Russell Jones & Walker, Leigh Day and Alyson France & Co are names often mentioned on here.

Good luck and let us know what happened.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I assume you've reported this to the Police? Requested CCTV footage of the accident? If not, do so.

Good Luck with everything, and hope your (and your bikes) injuries are minor!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • flamite
    yes def go back to site and check if there's any cctv footage of site, they only keep it for a week or so i think so if there was a camera pointing at area get the footage sooner rather than later...
  • boondog
    yes flamite, that was me. Livid as a livid thing ! I called 999 but ended up going to Wood St nick as it was quicker.
    I won't post any more details here, just wondered if anyone else witnessed it.
    Sorry to hear about yours, I guess I was lucky and managed to reduce speed drastically before I hit him. Luckily for me I fitted new read brake pads on saturday morning, the old ones were nowhere near as effective..phew !
  • flamite
    there is a camera pointing near the site, looks like a private company one, might be woth seeing if they caught anything..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 97621&z=19
  • boondog
    That looks like a google image, but I will walk down there and look for cameras today/tomorrow.
  • cjcp
    boondog wrote:
    yes flamite, that was me. Livid as a livid thing ! I called 999 but ended up going to Wood St nick as it was quicker.
    I won't post any more details here, just wondered if anyone else witnessed it.
    Sorry to hear about yours, I guess I was lucky and managed to reduce speed drastically before I hit him. Luckily for me I fitted new read brake pads on saturday morning, the old ones were nowhere near as effective..phew !

I must have come through either just after or before you. I didn't see anyone. (Apologies if you were there and I missed you! :oops:) What bike were you on?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • boondog
    I was on a px road, so now I'm beginning to wonder about the integrity of the frame and how I can check that. I'll call Planet X shortly to ask their advice.
    Now everything is starting to ache, my ribs are very sore, so I'm going to head off after lunch and try and sneak the mangled bike on the district line.
  • cjcp
    boondog wrote:
    I was on a px road, so now I'm beginning to wonder about the integrity of the frame and how I can check that. I'll call Planet X shortly to ask their advice.
    Now everything is starting to ache, my ribs are very sore, so I'm going to head off after lunch and try and sneak the mangled bike on the district line.

You must have been just behind me. I was stopped at those lights for about 20 secs and didn't see anyone.

Get yourself to A&E asap.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • boondog wrote:
    That looks like a google image, but I will walk down there and look for cameras today/tomorrow.
    I presume he means the 2 cctv cameras in the centre of the view looking up and down the street.