For sure.

Inovache
Inovache Posts: 61
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Why do so many pros (and commentators for that fact) use the term 'for sure'. Is it a phrase that is peculiar to the enclosed world of the pro cyclist?

Comments

• csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Certaintly.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,572
    maybe it started as a piss take of street culture but the middle class pro peleton didn't realise its actually "fo' sho"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, it's something that Europeans say a lot when speaking English in interviews and it's been picked up by actual real life English speaking people.
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    NapoleonD wrote:
    No, it's something that Europeans say a lot when speaking English in interviews and it's been picked up by actual real life English speaking people.
    :shock: lol
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Isn't it because we have 'for sure' and 'of course' and other languages just have 'for sure' so they translate their native phrase when they mean 'of course'? Just a hunch.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dulldave wrote:
    Isn't it because we have 'for sure' and 'of course' and other languages just have 'for sure' so they translate their native phrase when they mean 'of course'? Just a hunch.

Mais oui.

Strava is not Zen.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    It's an example of the strange new language that seems to be creeping in. Watch F1 it's everywhere! If it's not "for sure" , its now "box" for pits, "T car" for spare car and the worst of the lot is "P1" for what was pole position. Load of bollox. :evil:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dulldave wrote:
    Isn't it because we have 'for sure' and 'of course' and other languages just have 'for sure' so they translate their native phrase when they mean 'of course'?

ça ne fait aucun doute
  • d accord

word
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    dulldave wrote:

Claro
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Just to support my hunch, if a francophone was trying to say "d'accord" I guess they'd say. "yes" or "agreed". If they wanted to say "mais oui" they'd say "well yes". If they wanted to say "ça ne fait aucun doute" they'd say "no doubt". And if they wanted to say "bien sur" they might say "of course" or "for sure" (because it's closer so easier to remember?).

Anglophones might just say "of course" more often than "For sure"

I'm prettty crepe at French so I tend to just translate what I'm trying to say into french (rather than thinking in French) when I speak it. This leads to me choosing bizarre ways of saying things because they come from the words I'm trying to translate. Perhaps other people do the same?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dulldave wrote:
    Just to support my hunch, if a francophone was trying to say "d'accord" I guess they'd say. "yes" or "agreed". If they wanted to say "mais oui" they'd say "well yes". If they wanted to say "ça ne fait aucun doute" they'd say "no doubt". And if they wanted to say "bien sur" they might say "of course" or "for sure" (because it's closer so easier to remember?).

I'm prettty crepe at French so I tend to just translate what I'm trying to say into french (rather than thinking in French) when I speak it. This leads to me choosing bizarre ways of saying things because they come from the words I'm trying to translate. Perhaps other people do the same?

Ce qui dans le monde que tu racontes là M. DullDave? Vous avez confondu la merde hors de moi avec tout ce discours français!

Pouvez-vous le dit en anglais, le capitaine Dave?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    dulldave wrote:

Could come from the German Sicher, which can be translated as sure and is dropped in the conversation a lot when agreeing with the other person. I guess that's why so many German and Dutch people say "for sure" when speaking in English?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Term1te wrote:
    dulldave wrote:

Could come from the German Sicher, which can be translated as sure and is dropped in the conversation a lot when agreeing with the other person. I guess that's why so many German and Dutch people say "for sure" when speaking in English?

Dutch and German aren't the same language....Grr!

The Dutch word you are looking for (or not, apparantly) is zeker.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I like the German theory on this. I first noticed it in Jurgen Klinsmann (he's a famous German footballer for you hardcore cycling fans) interviews.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I think it's all the fault of the Irish and has come into use in cycling via Kelly who says it all the time :wink: