2010 Roval Traverse EL wheelset 15mm axle caps

koghog
koghog Posts: 5
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've purchased a new set of these wheels off eBay which only came with 20mm axle caps. They supposedly came off a new 2010 Spesh Enduro, hence no QR or 15mm axle caps.
I've been trying to get the 15mm one's from Specialized but the set they sent me don't fit my front hub. Could these be for their '08/'09 models?
Does anybody know if 2010 15mm axle caps are even available separately, or is my front hub some kind of prototype or something? My wheelset looks identical to those in this website - including the 20mm adapters:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Roval-Trav ... -2009.html
cheers!

Comments

• octoboy
    octoboy Posts: 4
    Hi koghog - we may be able to help each other out. I have a set of 2008 traversee's and recently bought a fox 15mm fork. I had previously got hold of some 15mm adapters from a spesh dealer but on closer inspection found they dont fit. seems that spesh changed the internal diameter of the hubs between 2008/2009.

The caps I have are for 2010 and are too small for my wheels. If your 15mm caps are too big, how about a swap?

My 2008 wheels are easily identified by the matte silver/aluminium hub finish. More recent 2009-10 sets have a darker, glossy hub finish. If these sound like yours (as in the pic link you sent) then we should be good to go. I have part numbers if you want to clarify.

if you have already sorted this then please let me know where you got the 2008 adapters from - its driving me nuts trying to track this down!

let me know!

BTW - its just the front hub caps I have for grabs.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    octoboy wrote:

The caps I have are for 2010 and are too small for my wheels.

Hope I'm not confusing the issue here - just trying to help. But the hub caps for the 2010 versions are two different diameters. The non disc side has a larger diameter than the disc side and is the largest cap I've seen in many a wheel.

See picture.

4482383720_5d857edb3f.jpg

The non disc side cap is on the right.

I wouldn't mind the info on the part numbers, especially if you have them for the QR versions.
  • octoboy
    octoboy Posts: 4
    Yep - understood. The 2008 end caps are also different sizes for each side - however both ends are still slightly larger than more recent models. The 2008 caps aIso go deeper into the hub body when fitted. I have QR, 20mm and 25mm for my 2008 rovals if that's any use to you. I only have part numbers for the 2010 15mm caps thatt don't fit mine - since they're on the baggies they came in.
  • koghog
    Hi Octoboy, swap sounds great. My 15mm axle caps are indeed too big to fit my front hub, so fingers crossed both sets will sort the problems.
  • koghog
    For anyone else having problems there are 08/09; and 2010, Roval Traverse 15mm axle cap adaptors to suit the different front hubs. Some gimp at Specialized UK HQ doesn't know this so you have to make this very clear to the Spesh dealer or Concept Store you're dealing with.

Part numbers for the 2010 EL's are: S2030049 and S2030050 -there's a different sized 15mm cap for each side of the hub.

Still having trouble? Try:
    SPECIALIZED UK, LTD.
    29 Barwell Business Park
    Leatherhead Road, Chessington Surrey
    KT9 2NY
    Great Britain
    Tel: +44 (0)20 8391 3500
    Fax: +44 (0)20 8391 3501
    E-mail: sales@specializeduk.com
    E-mail: customerservice@specializeduk.com

I got a reply only from the Customer Service email. They presently only have the 08/09 ones in stock, with the 2010's coming in a few weeks. Ironic that a forum sorted this problem out rather than the stupid manufacturers!Thanks Octoboy -great swap!
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Koghog, did you get the part numbers for the 2010 QR caps by any chance?

I emailed specialized for this info but just got a reply to say that there were no 2010 in stock!

As an afterthought - you don't wanna swap your spare QRs for my 15mm so you have a spare set?
  • koghog
    Sorry Zaskar20, I've only got the 2010 20mm and 15mm(thanks to Octoboy). My wheelset came off a Spesh Enduro and originally only came with the 20mm's.

I'm afraid I don't know what the 2010 QR part numbers are but I sympathise with you. I've been on the hunt since last year for the 2010 15mm's. You'd think Spesh would be a liitle more organised and have all these different axle cap adaptors in stock when the wheelsets became available. They can get damaged, or more likely, lost, so of course folks will want replacements.

I'm beginning to regret buying these wheels - after the trouble written above what will it be like with replacement spokes, hub bearings?!!!

From the Singletrackworld.com forum 08/09 15mm axle cap adaptor part numbers are:
    S2030036 and S2030037 should anyone be interested.
  • N4th4n
    N4th4n Posts: 10
    FYI The part numbers for the QR 9mm caps are S2030046 and S2030045.

Enjoy :D
  • Yep - understood. The 2008 end caps are also different sizes for each side - however both ends are still slightly larger than more recent models. The 2008 caps aIso go deeper into the hub body when fitted. I have QR, 20mm and 25mm for my 2008 rovals if that's any use to you. I only have part numbers for the 2010 15mm caps thatt don't fit mine - since they're on the baggies they came in.

octoboy - I know this is a very old thread, but if you still have those end caps, I would love to help you reduce the clutter in your garage. Let me know, perhaps we can help each other out. I've been scouring the internets to no avail.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As he hasn't logged on for five years you may still have a bit of a wait.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • -cooldad, You are right, this thread is cold and dead and most people have moved on, but I figure it was worth a shot. Your response shows that at least there is a chance that someone might see this and help me out.

If anyone else has some old Roval hub end caps for QR or 15mm hubs, please PM me to work something out.
    Thanks a million.
  • Well, found what I needed. Got this link to a drawing of the pre-2009 Roval hubs and called my LBS with the part number for the end caps I needed. Not too expensive and in stock!

http://service.specialized.com/asc/Content/Drawings/Hubs/Pre-2009/LFM02_QR.htm

Thanks everyone!