Disc brakes and full mudguards ?

Bike2work
Bike2work Posts: 79
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Following the very wet winter and poor braking on my current commuting bike, I'm thinking of getting a new commuter with disc brakes (eg Giant Seek or Ridgeback Flight or similar). Despite searching through this forum (and others) I am really unsure..... Can you fit full mudguards to such bikes? Has anybody done this succesfully ?
To my mind there's no point having disc brakes if you're going to get soaking wet commuting in the rain.
Many thanks,

Comments

• fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Guy at work has a Ridgeback Flight and he has mud guards, its a v.nice bike too. :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • I have full muguards on my Scott Sub-10 with disc brakes. I commute everyday in Bristol, so I can assure you this is "road-tested" for wet weather!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My LBS fitted SKS chromoplastics to my disc-bike. The stays at the front had to be bent to route them under the brake.
    I would recommend you look for a bike with the rear disk brake on the chainstay. This will eliminate any interference with luggage rack or mudguards.
  • shortyman
    shortyman Posts: 48
    I have a boardman hybrid (disc brakes) and fitted sks race blades xl mudguards. Works great- I have a nice dry bum even if the rest of me isn't!
  • Bike2work
    Bike2work Posts: 79
    Many thanks. That's really helpful.