Accident car and child riding on pavement, opinions & le

13»

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    suzyb wrote:
    Report it. I'm sure the police will be more interested in her failing to stop than you cycling along a pavement with your two kids. And if they aren't I'd be making sure the press knew about it.

She hit a kid ffs. Regardless of whether you (or a hospitals worth or doctors) were there to make sure he was OK she should have stopped.

Slightly ironic though, you cycle along the pavement to be safer and your kid ends up getting hit anyway.

Couldn't put it any better myself. It seems she could just as easily hit a jogger who would by the sounds of it would have been travelling at the same speed. Report her, then get onto a "where there's blame there's a claim" type lawyer.
  • rf6 wrote:
    then get onto a "where there's blame there's a claim" type lawyer.

:roll:

And don't forget, if you want top compo, you've got to do really good fake injuries.

Get practising!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    OK, I have a slightly relevant question. Does anybody know what the law is regarding reporting an accident when there is no damage or injury if you are the driver?
    Say, for example, you`re driving along and a schoolgirl comes running out from the front of the school bus into the side of your car, you check that she`s ok and she just wants to carry on home. Then a bystander comes along and says "i`m an off duty rozza and you`ve got to report that within a certain time limit {I forget} and i`ll be checking you do and if you don`t i`ll see that you go down, you slag!" So off you goes, rather reluctantly, to the local cop shop and there is only one busy on the desk who has better things to do and so it takes hours to fill out the form.
    So if I hadn`t bothered would I really have been in shtook?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    antfly wrote:
    OK, I have a slightly relevant question. Does anybody know what the law is regarding reporting an accident when there is no damage or injury if you are the driver?
    I don't think there is an obligation to report accidents. However, you have to identify yourself to the other party. Furthermore, an injured person doesn't necessarily know that they are wounded. Adrenaline can make people ignore even very serious injuries. If you drive off, leaving someone who said they were ok, but were injured, you may be in trouble. So my advice is to spend a little time with the 'victim' until the adrenaline wears off and/or under-clothing bleeding becomes apparent. Giving a business card or writing down your details before leaving is also a very good idea. Just because you didn't notice any damage, doesn't mean that there was none.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Can I suggest, and I'm only trying to be constructive, that you take off both the stabilisers and pedals and let him use it as a balance bike. Easier to stop and put a foot down if he needs to. When the confidence and balance comes put the pedals back on.

Did this yesterday. Explained to my son that, due to me allegedly forgetting to pack the pedals and stabilisers on our return from the Isle of Wight, he had to ride it without so I could measure up the new pedals (!), and that I would order a new set of pedals for him... ;-)

He took on it pretty well, went for our usual trip to the recycling centre and he loved it! He was balancing descending the little downhill ramps within 10 minutes.

A couple more sessions like this and this weekend I might be able to put the pedals back on and then he will be off into the distance before I can say the word "STOOOOOOOOOP!"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Funny you should post that. I tried with my boy at the weekend too. He is a Mario Kart obsessive and was sold on the idea that this was his Mario Bike.

A couple of hours practice and he'll be flying.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    fnegroni wrote:
    Can I suggest, and I'm only trying to be constructive, that you take off both the stabilisers and pedals and let him use it as a balance bike. Easier to stop and put a foot down if he needs to. When the confidence and balance comes put the pedals back on.

Did this yesterday. Explained to my son that, due to me allegedly forgetting to pack the pedals and stabilisers on our return from the Isle of Wight, he had to ride it without so I could measure up the new pedals (!), and that I would order a new set of pedals for him... ;-)

He took on it pretty well, went for our usual trip to the recycling centre and he loved it! He was balancing descending the little downhill ramps within 10 minutes.

A couple more sessions like this and this weekend I might be able to put the pedals back on and then he will be off into the distance before I can say the word "STOOOOOOOOOP!"

Right, am going to try this with the eldest tomorrow. Some fettling beckons...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    You should, it really does work.

When they find their balance on the bike, take them someone with a very gentle decline, they'll be able to get up to speed and 'ride 'with their feet off the floor for a good 20 -30 yds.

The next stage is to get the pedals back on. Again you need somewhere with a gentle decline, so they can get the bike rolling and get that second foot onto the pedals

You will also need your 'I'm not really crying, I've got something in my eye' excuse ready.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    You should, it really does work.
    Can vouch for this. Since I have a suitable location just outside my house for this I ended up getting both my nephew and niece riding this way rather than leaving it to their rather less bike keen parents. In the no-pedals phase its a good idea if the saddle is low enough that they can touch the ground. Cuts the fear factor and makes it easier to scoot along to get started. :)

Mind you in both cases I had to fix the bike they were learning on first so it was safe to use. :roll:

Mike
  • Report the bitch. Anybody who hits a 6 year old kid with a car and ten f**cks off w/o a even a glance to see if he's OK should be hung! What a f***ing lowlife! :x

As for riding on the pavement blah blah blah, you don't expect a 6 year old kid to be on the road, do you? I know I wouldn't let mine. And my mum didn't allow me to ride on the road at that age.
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

Right, am going to try this with the eldest tomorrow. Some fettling beckons...

[competitive dad]Pedals back on. Boy cycling solo....[/competitive dad]

Now he just needs to use the flippin' brakes rather than stopping the bike by dragging his feet along the ground,
  • fnegroni

Now he just needs to use the flippin' brakes rather than stopping the bike by dragging his feet along the ground,

Well done!

I going to try and put the pedals back on tomorrow but I don't want to push it too much... as long as he learns before his 4th birthday that's all that matters, really!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni wrote:

Well done!

I going to try and put the pedals back on tomorrow but I don't want to push it too much... as long as he learns before his 4th birthday that's all that matters, really!

Today, we had a spare 10 minutes before heading out by car to pick wife up from station.
    Asked my son if he wanted to try pedalling while balancing down from the ramps.

10 minutes lates, he was cycling solo... mostly!

Needs to practise starting a bit more and also get a bit more confidence uphill but v. happy with the result!

That was 2 hours from removing the pedals and stabilisers to riding with pedals and no stabilisers!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    As for riding on the pavement blah blah blah, you don't expect a 6 year old kid to be on the road, do you? I know I wouldn't let mine. And my mum didn't allow me to ride on the road at that age.

It;s such a shame because a six year old really should be able to ride (supervised) on the road.

Why can't they? Other people acting like tw8ts (or at least fear of it).
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimertogeneral.htm

"You only have to stop and give your particulars if someone (other than you) or something (not in the other vehicle) is injured in the incident, or if you cause any damage to another vehicle or to anything else on or by the roadside (eg a lampost, fence or wall)."

"If you can satisfy the Court that you were unaware that an accident had occurred this may be a defence to the charge."

"The Offence
    Being the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle, owing to the presence of which on a road an accident occurred whereby personal injury was caused to another person, and not having given your name and address to a person having reasonable grounds for requiring you to do so, failed to report the accident at a police station or to a constable as soon as reasonably practicable and in any case within 24 hours of the occurrence of the accident."

If your child got so much as a scratch or a bruise, then failure to stop IMO would have taken place.

Pragmatically, it's only worth reporting to the police if they are likely to take some action. In this case I think they would: they know where the driver lives, so the driver is an easy "mark" for their stats.