Which Sport Relief Challenge impressed you the most?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,372
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Simple question.

Irrespective of the 'celebs' involved or the money raised, which Challenge impressed you the most.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    Steady Eddie without a doubt
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2010
    Eddie.

What's more I'm pretty sure he didn't do it for publicity (unlike many others), he just seemed to want to do it.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What's also remarkable about Eddie is that on his days off from the marathons, he was still busy - my mum met him (she was rather star-struck) at a D-Day veterans' day out and dinner that he organised, paid for and attended at Duxford midway through the marathons. I'd probably have been lying on the sofa complaining.

I voted for him...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Eddie for me, though Helen from Blue Peter's kayaking was pretty damn amazing too. They all deserve praise though.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    As a runner Eddie Izzard without a doubt.

I've been out injured for a bit with a sprained ankle but watching that show has really pushed me to get back out there.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The crazy-eyed bird with the red "towel" over her shoulder.
    Wankleman or something.
    Think she must have been raising money to wear that rag all night..
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Simple, James Corden showing Tom Daley how to do a proper dive.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    eddie

ok he didnt do the marathons in good times but the pain and injuries he went through were massive. Them blisters looked a killer

To be honest I was a little disapointed with the cycling challenge Lands end to John o Groats. Ok it was good but cycling two hours a time, plenty of time for recovery, Im not bitter they got to do the ride and given all the gear :roll:
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    andy83 wrote:
    eddie

ok he didnt do the marathons in good times but the pain and injuries he went through were massive. Them blisters looked a killer

To be honest I was a little disapointed with the cycling challenge Lands end to John o Groats. Ok it was good but cycling two hours a time, plenty of time for recovery, Im not bitter they got to do the ride and given all the gear :roll:

+1 The only amazing thing about the bike ride was how much they moaned about it. What Eddie did - before you even take into consideration his age and fitness level - was staggering. He did seem to get fatter the more he ran though. :)
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've never really liked Eddie Izzard as a comedian, but I was awestruck by his marathon challenge. The Amazon kayaking was also very impressive.

Eddie's TV programmes following his marathon journey were a lot more entertaining than the bike ride's programme. I haven't watched the TV programme of the Amazon kayak trip yet.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Some really amazing challenges in that list.
    For me, Eddie wins hands down. That many marathons from being a running newbie is stunning. I, too, missed the kayak tv show but remember being impressed when I saw clips at the time. Will catch it on iplayer.

Of the bike challenges the cycle slam gets my vote. That said, I didn't envy the conditions during the reverse lejog. The celebs were still having clipless moments at the start of the event so I'm not sure that much training had been done. I remember when 25miles was a long ride...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,372
    I remember when 25miles was a long ride

For many of us it still is
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    The kayaking for me, I think we can understand how hard the marathon running was to some degree which is why we truly appreciate the effort involved but the Blue Peter girl broke some records in the process of her challenge.

Was the Dayglo ride for Sport Relief? I thought it was for another charity?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Pross wrote:
    The kayaking for me, I think we can understand how hard the marathon running was to some degree which is why we truly appreciate the effort involved but the Blue Peter girl broke some records in the process of her challenge.

Was the Dayglo ride for Sport Relief? I thought it was for another charity?

It was split, half for spot relief, half for the Dallaglio foundation..

My vote goes for Eddie, was a great program to boot.
  • Eddie Izzard by a massive distance.

Having run a number of marathons and completed a Half Ironman I'm reasonably familiar with the physical and mental havoc endurance events can wreak on the strongest of minds and bodies.

His courage was remarkable and the fact that he could run one marathon knowing that the following day he was going to have to get up and do it again, and again, and again, was humbling.

I can only describe it as utterly awe inspiring. The way he kept his mind strong in the face of incredible adversity is an example to anyone who says, "Why" and an inspriation to everyone who says, "Why not".
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I ran past Eddie yesterday at the sport relief run on the embankment.

He had been running the course pretty much continuously all day. Nutter!