Brief guide on how to get routes into Garmin Forerunner 305

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

It took me a while to work out how to get routes into my Garmin Forerunner 305 so that I can use it for navigation.

Here are the steps that I use....

1 - create the route in BikeHike http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php
2 - click on download route, and select TCX file type. Here you can set the speed of your ride if you like.
3 - you can then 'download route' straight to a USB-attached Forerunner OR save as a file and import into Garmin Training Center. I usually use Garmin Training Center which adds a few steps, but provides an archive.
4 - in Garmin Training Center, switch to courses, click file, import, courses, and then select and import the file.
5 - select the course and click the 'send to device' button.
6 - when you are ready to navigate the course get the Garmin 305 ready to go with satellites located etc.
7 - Push Mode until you see the menu which includes 'Training'
8 - Select 'training', 'courses', and there you should see your course.
9 - Select the course and then 'do course'
10 - ride against the clock according to the speed that you selected in BikeHike

play around with it to get the right screen. You might need to go into options to select the preferred map orientation, for example.

If you get trouble with a long route, then try reducing the number of coursepoints to below 500 in BikeHike, which you can find under 'options', or split the ride into shorter sections.

Hope that helps!