Confused by wheel options

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Sorry in advance because I think this has been asked before (in a slightly different way) but I'm still confused...

I've ordered some Hope Pro II / Stan's Flow wheels from my LBS today - it was a toss-up between the Flows and the 355s and I took the advice of the LBS. But now I've realised I'm still confused :roll:

As I understand it, the advantage of the Flows is that they're stronger and will take a wider tyre. The disadvantage is that they're heavier. So, some questions...

(If it helps any, I'm 12.5 stone (and reducing :lol:), my riding is pretty much all XC (Tunnel Hill, Minley Wood, Swinley) although the odd trail centre visit may come when I improve, and the wheels I'm replacing are the Bontrager Dusters that were OE on my HiFi)

1. The 355 only takes up to 2.3 tyre size - what are the advantages of bigger than this, and am I ever likely to need them?

2. For what I do will I really need to the extra strength of the Flows?

3. Will I really notice the 0.5lb weight difference between the 355s and Flows?

4. The LBS have recommended going tubeless and putting on some Nobby Nics. The tubeless kit and the UST Nics add £50 to staying with tubes - is it really worth it for a beginner?

Thanks in advance for your patience, tolerance and help with another numpty question.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1) More cushioning as can be ran at lower pressures (and more grip)

2) I'd say no.

3) It can be noticeable, yes, especially when accelerating.

4) you don't meed UST tyres with a tubeless conversions.

I'd stick with the 2.3 tyres, the 355 rims, use tubes, and think about converting in the future.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i cannot remember, is it the kendas or the schwalbe tyres that get eaten really quickly by stans sealant?

Anyway, if you don't get punctures and consider yourself a newbie then i wouldn't worry about going tubeless yet. I'd only recommend tubeless to a customer who is complaining about lots of punctures and has tried everything else that is sensible on the market.

So what super said:

2.3" tyres, 355 rims, tubes and convert later.
  • Thanks for the advice :)

I think I shall be calling the LBS in the morning and getting them to order the 355s instead.

And I owe you both a pint from what I save on not going tubeless :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    i cannot remember, is it the kendas or the schwalbe tyres that get eaten really quickly by stans sealant?

Maxxis ;) Kenda say not to use sealant, Schwalbe say only to use their own brand sealant, but tbh the only tyres I've seen have sealant-related failures were Maxxis. I've had my own Kendas tubeless and sealant'd for ages now, they don't show a single sign of reacting.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:

Maxxis ;) Kenda say not to use sealant, Schwalbe say only to use their own brand sealant, but tbh the only tyres I've seen have sealant-related failures were Maxxis. I've had my own Kendas tubeless and sealant'd for ages now, they don't show a single sign of reacting.

Thats funny because don't Stans say Maxxis are some of the best to use with their kit
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    No idea. But we bumped into some poor bugger at glentress whose Highroller had swelled up like the elephant man's face once :lol: And see quite a few pics of that happening with various tyres on t'internet. Kenda seal up poorly, generally, but once that's done they seem to be OK, I've only done one Maxxis and it went on dead easy and sealed almost straight away but maybe it melted later ;)
    Uncompromising extremist