RS Sektor, any early opinions?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    See, the forks are so different there it could be anything, if they did a QR Pike it'd still be pretty damn stiff I reckon. Even my 3 revs are pretty different because the 09 Rev maxle wasn't just a Rev with tweaked lowers, IIRC it was just Pike lowers, whereas the 08 one is all Rev and the 2010 one is a totally different design.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Northwind wrote:
    I quite like their comments, "We don't really want to make a 15mm fork, it's not very good, but people want it so here it is". If they make it in QR it might be the first opportunity for loads of riders to try all 3 and then try and convince themselves they can tell which is which :lol:

Yes, that would be interesting - especially if you tested at different travels too and could somehow hide the set up from the rider.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I thought the TALAS fork is "meant" to be flexier than the Pike in general though. It wasn't when I tried it and as I said that was on XC/Enduro wheels.

I am admitting that the axel does make a difference though as I can tell one when I get on them from my SHORTER travel QR fork
  • supersonic
    It does make a difference yes - but can only really compare to the same fork The F100 is a very light structure, pared down to the minimum.

The point is that a a Pike with QR may well feel stiffer than an F100 with a 15mm axle!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The Fox forks do seem to be particularly twangy, noticeable increase in stiffness on going from QR to 9 mm axle (DTS RWS). It holds a line much better, even over relatively small roots.

Anyway, yes, this should be the first fork that has the three big options: QR, 15 mm and 20 mm. Comparing between them could make for an interesting magazine feature, can you pull some strings supersonic?
  • supersonic
    I'll certainly mention it to Matt and Steve!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Cheers! :D
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Am i the only one who's a bit confused?

It looks like a rev, so its a rev.
    But it's heavyer than a rev, so its a pike.
    But its not as strong as a pike, so its a recon/reba.
    But it's got more travel than a recon/reba, so its a rev...

What is it? and where does it fit in the range? :?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • No, don't worry, I've been watching this thread thinking what the fuck is that and who will buy it too. I wonder if the answer is that no one will buy it, but that it'll be priced wholesale to get it specced on lots of new bikes. Which people will then wonder if they should upgrade to a Revelation at a later date?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would like a QR15 sid fork though

actually i'd be quite happy with a maxle sid :twisted:
  • supersonic
    I'm not sure about that for a SID personally. I'd rather they have kept a slimmer, lighter fork for the racers, and lightened up the Reba (as is no point buying one now when the Rev is about the same price and weight).
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To be hoenst i like the 15mm bolt through i'm seeing it alot on bikes at teh trail. and friends using them.

20mm can be a bit heavier but quick release is alful and flexy it's attempt at a stiff solution and i like it i must admit. really sorts the front out on a bike by so much...
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Slightly OT

Does anyone have experince of a Rev with a maxle vs Pikes?

I run Pikes at the moment and they are great but the new Revs are a chunk lighter, is this down to using lighter flexier lowers?
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • supersonic
    To be hoenst i like the 15mm bolt through i'm seeing it alot on bikes at teh trail. and friends using them.

20mm can be a bit heavier but quick release is alful and flexy it's attempt at a stiff solution and i like it i must admit. really sorts the front out on a bike by so much...

QR still has its place for many users. Some can't even feel a difference as so many other factors too.

Fox claim a 15% improvement in torsional stiffness on a like for like fork. That is why some people can't feel it. (though 25% transverse sheer).
  • supersonic
    RichMTB wrote:
    Slightly OT

Does anyone have experince of a Rev with a maxle vs Pikes?

I run Pikes at the moment and they are great but the new Revs are a chunk lighter, is this down to using lighter flexier lowers?

The Pike does have thicker upper and lower legs, and a stouter crown (and reinforced alu steerer on the 454).
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I fail to be convinced by the figures, but they definately do feel a fair bit stiffer when your riding them hard
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The key difference for me is brake setup, with QR it is impossible to get exactly the same tension each time so always had my brakes out of alignment.

Maxle rear and 20mm front, pop wheels off every weekend, brakes always perfectly aligned.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    cavegiant wrote:
    The key difference for me is brake setup, with QR it is impossible to get exactly the same tension each time so always had my brakes out of alignment.

Maxle rear and 20mm front, pop wheels off every weekend, brakes always perfectly aligned.

interestingly ive never had that problem with qr's and neither have any of my the guys i ride with, and some have been riding for more than 20 years :roll:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    well i always have that problem with qr- thats why i never take of my wheels
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    james you run avid brakes yes???? without wanting to start a war, the spacer system on avid brakes is a pile of poo. far too much to move about imo which would lead to rubbing. ive run shimano, magura and hope brakes and have never had this problem and mates have run hayes brakes and it just seems to be the avids that have this problem
  • supersonic
    I say we revolt and invent 17.5...
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    I say we revolt and invent 17.5...

And then there will be 18.75 and 16.25 :roll:
  • Northwind
    I think the real solution is to go round to the houses of the bosses of every single company that makes nonconvertible hubs, and stab them with a sharpened quickrelease.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    I think the real solution is to go round to the houses of the bosses of every single company that makes nonconvertible hubs, and stab them with a sharpened quickrelease.

Yay that means shimano gets killed :lol:

It does save weight though if you design a hub for little axels sometimes (for the weight weenies out there)
  • supersonic
    I think Shimano are a bit stuck with the cup and cone. As much as I like this design, it does suit 9mm qr better, and I think the main reason SHimano has gone 15mm is because it saves a lot of weight over a cup and cone 20mm.

This has had this knock on for RS ;-)
  • peter413
    Just get Hope or DT Swiss or Chris King and your sorted :wink:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Think Northwind's got it. Convertable hubs make sense, i wait to be corrected, but it looks like Shimano are the only big player who don't make one... which is a bit dissapointing considering their market share.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think Shimano are a bit stuck with the cup and cone. As much as I like this design, it does suit 9mm qr better, and I think the main reason SHimano has gone 15mm is because it saves a lot of weight over a cup and cone 20mm.

This has had this knock on for RS ;-)

Are XT 20mm hubs heavy then?
  • Northwind
    Torres wrote:
    Think Northwind's got it. Convertable hubs make sense, i wait to be corrected, but it looks like Shimano are the only big player who don't make one... which is a bit dissapointing considering their market share.

I think Formula as well? Not totally sure on that, I'm pretty sure the Bontrager hubs are Formula and some of those are convertible apparently, while others randomly aren't.
    Uncompromising extremist