Embarassing LBS moment

oscarbudgie
oscarbudgie Posts: 850
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
So at 11.30 last night I decide to get round to fitting the new stem I bought months ago. All's fine until I notice a very discernible creak when I moved the bars. Hmmmm. Dismantle the stem, grease everything, bolts, spacers etc. Creak still there. And still there the second, third, fourth, fifth time I stripped it all down and reassembled. 2am. I give up but have another go this morning. Still no joy so I concede defeat and beat it shamefacedly to my LBS worried that I'd at the very least knackered the headset or worse. 'There's a really bad creaking coming from the headset' 'Its the cables' he says. 'Are you sure?' Sure enough a tiny squirt of GT85 onto each of the cable stops on the steerer tube and creaking gone. 30 seconds and some very dented pride. Boy I felt a prat. God bless LBS's everywhere.
Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, had that before. The cable creak not the embarrassment at the LBS bit. You strip and regrease everything you can think of and still the blasted creak. Then you knock a cable while fettling and there is an epiphany moment...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Had that the other week. Had just spent the afternoon with the bike upside down while I replaced the back wheel & gears. Turned it back over, and as the handlebars turned, they clicked and crunched. As they did when I lifted the front wheel and turned it side to side. Shiiiiiiiit more spends.

Found out it was the cables before I put any more orders in to Wiggle.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Really worried after the Evans sportive - hit a pothole coming down hill and the whole front end went 'creeack' - my first experience of carbon forks so thought I'd done serious damage - went out last week and had a similar experience - got onto the workshop on here and explained - certain well know Yorkshireman asked if my headset was tight - checked and found it was OK but I'd forgotten I'd adjusted the angle of the bars just after I bought the bike - checked the four bolts at the front to find that I needed between a quarter and half a turn on each - tightened up - rode today and guest what - silence :oops: