Grand union canal from Northolt to Paddington

Tostaryman
Tostaryman Posts: 89
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I live out near Watford and am intending to start commuting into London 1 or possibly 2 days a week (depending on the legs!) now the summer evenings are close. I just wondered what the towpath is like from Northolt into Paddington as that route looks good on paper. I note its an official cycle network so I'm presuming its in quite decent nick. Does anyone here use this regularly and can you confirm what its like?

Cheers

Comments

• I've ridden along it at the weekend and its a nice route, not sure how great for a commuter route though. If I remember right, the bit from Northolt in is in ok shape, the bit where it breaks off the main Grand Union canal (near the M4) can be a bit muddy.

Would love to do the whole length to Birmingham some time though 8)
  • Thanks for that. I agree that miles of towpath probably isn't the ideal commute but due to the distance I'll probably only be doing it once a week tbh so I think that'd be ok. Besides to be able to cycle into central London without traffic sounds like a definite bonus to me! I'm just converted my old mtb back to full rigid and stuck some semi-slicks on so that should be fine for what you describe
  • Yeah, I did in on my commuter (slicked up '95 Kilauea) and its a really nice stress free ride (with the usual give respect to pedestrians clause). Mrs OSK and I rode it last summer all the way from Brentford to Limehouse (along Regent's canal) then back along the river (with a cheeky pint at the Morpeth ;-))
  • Parts of the towpath are gated which can be a drag, but in principle it's not bad. Slicks and rigid forks should be fine.
    "Consider the grebe..."