shedding layers to celebrate the arrival of Spring

wantaway
wantaway Posts: 96
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I want to conduct a scientific survey into a subject suitable for a Friday. I've noticed something over the last couple of days. This may just be a male thing but I feel that now I know what tires to buy, that fitted guards are for losers and that anything that does not have drop handlebars is not my cup of tea, I only need to know one last bit of information to make my bike knowledge complete. This will help mark the end of my first full year of commuting by bike at the end of which I will reward myself with a nice new bike. So on to the science.

Is it just me or does....

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Its more comfortable but i don't see how it makes you faster.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cycling shorts are designed to be worn commando. Any other way is wrong.

Your poll title says shedding layers..., that makes a huge difference not being wrapped up in overshoes, leggings, big gloves & a yellow coat.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    CiB wrote:
    Cycling shorts are designed to be worn commando. Any other way is wrong.

Your poll title says shedding layers..., that makes a huge difference not being wrapped up in overshoes, leggings, big gloves & a yellow coat.

+1, I've been in shorts, a baselayer and short sleeved top a couple of days this week. It does make you work a bit harder to stay warm.

I'm not sure a lack of boxers makes me faster though
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    On Monday I dropped overtights, overshoes, skull cap, full-fingered gloves, buff and long-sleeved jacket in favour of bib shorts, gillet, leg and arm warmers and fingerless mitts. Reckon this saves around a kilo. Weight loss plus endorphins from the sunshine mean that I have been fairly flying around the commute 8)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    why would you wear underpants beneath your lycra shorts?

or do you mean commando-pro.....dangling and a gangling the whole way to work...i guess that would make you faster....into a police cell.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sleeveless base layer, 3/4's short sleeve jersey and arm warmers for me... it seems to be freaky cold around keeston mark for some reason

always commando with lycra
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio wrote:
    On Monday I dropped overtights, overshoes, skull cap, full-fingered gloves, buff and long-sleeved jacket in favour of bib shorts, gillet, leg and arm warmers and fingerless mitts. Reckon this saves around a kilo. Weight loss plus endorphins from the sunshine mean that I have been fairly flying around the commute 8)

Still wearing full fingered gloves, but I also dropped the over tights, the over shoes, the buff and long sleeved base layer. Still wearing the jacket, though, it's really windy here in London today. And I wore, for the first time this year, my 3/4 tights! OH, and I'm not going commando! I don't see how that improves speed.

Any excuse, you pervs...! :wink::D
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    You're all a bunch of flowers with your base layers and overshoes. When it's below 5 degrees I'll wear a t shirt and a long sleaved shirt. When it's sub zero I'll wear two pairs of socks. When it's above 5 it's a single layer, and today was the first shorts day of the year....