UK's flattest city?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dav1 wrote:
    cambridge is flatter then norwich.

Norwich has a few short sharp climbs, a few small hills around ringland and some more climbs in the river yare vally around whitlingham broad.

For cambridge it stopps being flat around 10 miles south towards saffron walden.

How about ely? I expect it will be somewhere in the fens.

Ely Cathedral is on a massive* hill, hence it being in Ely....

In and around Ely is flat, but then again, since Ely is so small, the Cathedral hill makes up a sizable portion of it. Edit: Apart from that one tiny little hamlet to the north, which also seems to be on a little hill.

* by Dutch standards.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Manchester is pretty much flat - not many hills around Leeds either. Sheffield is more like Bristol.
    There may be plenty of hills surrounding Leeds but I can tell you from experience having lived there for several yoears there aren't many big hills in the city itself.

Are you insane?!!! Leeds? Flat? Please see sig - that's 1500 feet per day commuting. Next you'll be saying San Francisco is flat :lol: For reference - whether you've lived here or not, there are lots of hills in the city of Leeds (ie within the out ring road). As to what counts as 'big' - I don't think many cities at all have 'big' hills in them. Leeds certainly isn't at the flatter end o the range.

Perhaps you lived here during the Carboniferous period when it was flat!

Hull is pretty flat though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Manchester is pretty much flat - not many hills around Leeds either. Sheffield is more like Bristol.
    There may be plenty of hills surrounding Leeds but I can tell you from experience having lived there for several yoears there aren't many big hills in the city itself.

Are you insane?!!! Leeds? Flat? Please see sig - that's 1500 feet per day commuting. Next you'll be saying San Francisco is flat :lol: For reference - whether you've lived here or not, there are lots of hills in the city of Leeds (ie within the out ring road). As to what counts as 'big' - I don't think many cities at all have 'big' hills in them. Leeds certainly isn't at the flatter end o the range.

Perhaps you lived here during the Carboniferous period when it was flat!

Hull is pretty flat though.

I didn't exactly say it was flat - I just meant that comparitively speaking, it isn't as hilly as Sheffield or Bristol (lived in both these areas too) - sorry if I've offended anyone, I certainly don't want you cursing me under your breath as you toil away on you daily commute! :lol:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    suzyb wrote:
    Is there any of these mapping sites that will give you details of specific sections of a route. Let you zoom in so you can see how long a specific climb is.

Both bikehike & ridewithgps allow you to select a section of the elevation profile which will then highlight the corresponding part of the route on the map.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I certainly don't want you cursing me under your breath as you toil away on you daily commute! :lol:

Too late - that's exactly what I will do as I toil my way up the continuous 3 mile climb to Stanningley top :lol:

Actually, Bristol isn't really much hillier than Leeds - if you plot a ten mile commute through Leeds and Bristol you'll tend to come up with similar overall climbs - it just looks it because the hills are closer in. Not sure about Sheffield though.

Still, if the Bristolians want to prove how hard they are, they can join in the 1000 feet commute mini league on SCS :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I would be surprised to see greater than 5m rise or fall over the whole of Portsmouth. Even Portsmouth mountain struggles to exceed the height of the motorway flyover :-)

Fairly consistent breeze to make up for the lack of hills though.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Stuey01 wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    Is there a nice free way to find out how much ascent/descent on a route (without me having to go and ride the bugger). I am sort of tempted to try a route that doesn't involve Archway Hill, but am not keen on Muswell Hill :-)

bikehike - google it.

or - mapmyride

where are you trying to get to/from?
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    The City of London is pretty much completely flat. But Greater London has hills aplenty - in the north, south and southeast.

What about Exeter - I don't remember it being particularly hilly.

Is Swindon a city? It's pretty flat too.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    topher9 wrote:
    'not many hills around Leeds either'

i can tell you from first hand experience - there are a lot of hills around Leeds.

Ermm... Kirkstall Road up to Burleigh?
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Newark on Trent, Notts. Remember it as being flat in 1981 as a student.

But I was drunk an awful lot...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Except for a couple of hills, York is relatively flat.

I'd say Sheffield is the hilliest - from about 100ft ASL in the East, to 1800ft in west, and a lot if undulations in between!
  • lfoggy
    lfoggy Posts: 28
    I cycled around Cambridge every day for 15 years and the steepest hill I encountered was the humpback bridge over Mill Road !
    Regards
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Dundee can be relativley flat if you are going East/West. North/South is totally different.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is my favourite Sheffield Hill - just make sure those brakes work ;-)

mjimji_089.JPG
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    lfoggy wrote:
    I cycled around Cambridge every day for 15 years and the steepest hill I encountered was the humpback bridge over Mill Road !

Cycled this many times. Gets you thinking "hey its a hil... No wait, a bridge."

On the pluys side you absolutly fly through cambridge with the generous cycle lanes.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Cambridge is a damn site flatter than Ely. Anybody else from Ely on here? I work in Cambridge so ride there too.
    Ely has Fore Hill and Back Hill (bet they had to think hard about that one :wink: ) that dwarf any climb in Cambridge. Apart from bridges there isnt anything in Cambridge that doesnt count as more than a slope. :roll:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    Porgy wrote:
    The City of London is pretty much completely flat. But Greater London has hills aplenty - in the north, south and southeast.

What about Exeter - I don't remember it being particularly hilly.

Is Swindon a city? It's pretty flat too.

Swindon is a town and I worked there for a while.

really like it tbh and it's only problem is that it always seemed to be blowing a gale!
    literally Swindon!
  • Splottboy
    During WWII, Coventry...
  • Splottboy
    During WWII, Coventry...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    We were in Cardiff last weekend and that is fairly flat. Hilly on the outskirts but the main part is on an alluvial plain. (A Level Geography at Penarth County Grammar School) The Bay Area seems very cycle friendly.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Splottboy
    Now you're talking butt. Splott being the Capital of Cardiff.
    Yeah, the docks is flat, but head North towards Caerphilly and it gets meaty.

If you live in Penarth, it's Pen-arth...( Posh see, look you, there's lovely.)
    If you come from Cardiff, it's Penaarrrrrth.
  • rusty656
    rusty656 Posts: 44
    Peterborough is the flattest without a shadow of doubt its crap if you have a mountain bike like me a couple of my routes start below sea level BEAT THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • easyboy
    easyboy Posts: 33
    In Southampton if a rabbit sticks its head out of its burrow you lose your mobile signal
    2009 Stumpy Elite
    2009 Cube Ltd Race
    Its the little people in my head that told me to do it....
  • rick_chasey
    Dav1 wrote:
    lfoggy wrote:

On the pluys side you absolutly fly through cambridge with the generous cycle lanes.

Cycling in Cambridge is horrible. As are the cycle lanes.

The only flying you do is over car bonnets in Cambridge - as someone who was brought up there.

No idea where you cycle but it's certianly not the centre of Cambridge!
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Dav1 wrote:
    lfoggy wrote:

The only flying you do is over car bonnets in Cambridge - as someone who was brought up there.

Not sure I agree... cyclists in Cambridge are just so numerous that drivers there tend to be more aware of us on the road. In the 4 1/2 years I've lived there I've had no motor vehicle incidents, and I've only heard of one cyclist fatality, which seems like a pretty low figure when you consider the tens of thousands of bike journeys that must be made every day in the city.
  • rick_chasey
    hamstrich wrote:
    Dav1 wrote:
    lfoggy wrote:

Not sure I agree... cyclists in Cambridge are just so numerous that drivers there tend to be more aware of us on the road. In the 4 1/2 years I've lived there I've had no motor vehicle incidents, and I've only heard of one cyclist fatality, which seems like a pretty low figure when you consider the tens of thousands of bike journeys that must be made every day in the city.
    :shock:

We were told at sixth form that Cambridge has more deaths per mile cycled than London.

From my experience that sounds about right. Roads far too narrow to have both cars and bicycles, plenty of bikes, a big town vs gown thing going on with bikes.

I've been involved in a hit and run by the Catholic church which broke my pelvis , I've been pushed off my bike by a guy leaning out of his window passing in a car on huntingdon road, I've been punched off my bike on histon road, witnessed my friend get totally taken out by a car in front of me twice on kings hedges road, and incur daily hassle from bus drivers.

I've heard plenty of stories too from lecturers at the Uni who regularly get knocked off by busses, often in and around bridge street and even on castle hill.

Given the threat to my health, it's not like I go looking for trouble. I avoid gestures, never jump lights, always use lights in the winter, and always look to avoid the confrontation.

Where in Cambs you live then?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, there are plenty more to add to the list.

My sister was nudged off her bike by a bus by the catholic church, only for the driver to gesture for her to get out of the way.

I horribly still remember coming out of my drive only to see a policewomen mopping up blood from a killed student who got hit on his bike by a lorry turning left.

I nowadays only count a hit and run when I am actually injurred as a result.

Nor am I a particularly bad cyclist - I rode the Pyrenees last year pretty well, and regularly race - my bike handling skills are hardly at fault here.
  • Brian224
    Brian224 Posts: 209
    I lived in Hull as a student and took a driving test there. Cars used to queue to use a railway bridge for the hill start!

30 Years since Iv'e been there, but I still remember the wind off of the Humber estuary, so maybe the thread should be looking for flat and windless. :D

All the best

Brian

[/u]
    To answer all the questions I might be willing to answer, 24 miles round trip, 3-5 days a week in a helmet, balance in a car, overweight, over 40 and over Bluebell Hill.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Peterborough..our steepest hills are pedestrian road bridges.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Cambridge is a damn site flatter than Ely. Anybody else from Ely on here? I work in Cambridge so ride there too.
    Ely has Fore Hill and Back Hill (bet they had to think hard about that one :wink: ) that dwarf any climb in Cambridge. Apart from bridges there isnt anything in Cambridge that doesnt count as more than a slope. :roll:

I think thats a given, going by the fact that Ely's Sunday name is the Isle of Ely. as in an island surrounded by flat.

Manchester is the same in reverse, the very compact city centre and a few miles to the south down to the airport sit on a plain and are good and flat but it's surrounded on all sides by hills, south into cheshire being the gentler side to play. more than a mile to the north in any direction and it gets lumpy and your average is well upward.

From my old house 7 miles north I could stand at my back door and watch the planes on final approach at eye level and had a lovely view of which way Joddrell Bank dead opposite 40 miles away was pointing
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    :shock:

We were told at sixth form that Cambridge has more deaths per mile cycled than London.

From my experience that sounds about right. Roads far too narrow to have both cars and bicycles, plenty of bikes, a big town vs gown thing going on with bikes.

I've been involved in a hit and run by the Catholic church which broke my pelvis , I've been pushed off my bike by a guy leaning out of his window passing in a car on huntingdon road, I've been punched off my bike on histon road, witnessed my friend get totally taken out by a car in front of me twice on kings hedges road, and incur daily hassle from bus drivers.

I've heard plenty of stories too from lecturers at the Uni who regularly get knocked off by busses, often in and around bridge street and even on castle hill.

Given the threat to my health, it's not like I go looking for trouble. I avoid gestures, never jump lights, always use lights in the winter, and always look to avoid the confrontation.

Where in Cambs you live then?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, there are plenty more to add to the list.

My sister was nudged off her bike by a bus by the catholic church, only for the driver to gesture for her to get out of the way.

I horribly still remember coming out of my drive only to see a policewomen mopping up blood from a killed student who got hit on his bike by a lorry turning left.

I nowadays only count a hit and run when I am actually injurred as a result.

Nor am I a particularly bad cyclist - I rode the Pyrenees last year pretty well, and regularly race - my bike handling skills are hardly at fault here.

Sheesh, that's pretty shocking. I would say it sounds like you've had some bad luck - but maybe me it's who's been lucky to avoid any incidents so far.

I've lived in a few places in the city but they've all been pretty central - right in the middle when I was at uni, then up on Huntingdon Road last year, and just off Chesterton Road this year. I suppose that cycling in the traffic-restricted central area is a whole different kettle of fish from the busy commuter roads such as Histon Rd, which has perhaps the worst cycle lane I've ever encountered.