Saving Weight

2»

Comments

• I did it on a road bike when I was 15. It quickly compacts so you have to keep stopping and restuffing to keep the rim off the tyre, but once fully packed (five or six stops) you can keep going.

I rode from Redcar to Darlington like that, after puncturing on the beach.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Only 5-6 stops?

My £3 repair kit is going in the bin then.
  • Well, it was a long time ago Briggo, and I only remember the painful bits! It was an Elswick bike think, with those solid steel rims and rod brakes. The tyre was scrap, but the rims survived.

I can't imagine it working on an expensive lightweight modern bike without a lot of damage. I was only being facetious.
  • jono986
    jono986 Posts: 103
    njee20 wrote:
    Personally I've never carried a puncture repair kit on the bike, I've never actually repaired a tube... On the MTB I carry a CO2 pump and two cannisters, on the road I add 2 tubes. Never really felt the need for more!

I'm always stunned by people who fill their Camelbak Hawgs to ride for an hour around the Surrey Hills!

Better to carry one and not need it than to get a puncture and have to wheel the bike back with passersby casting aspersions on your ability to repair your bike or prepare for a ride how ever short the ride is :roll:
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i have done that stuff with grass thing in margam park . it worked enough to limp back to the fuel point where i could grab my spare tube.
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Carry a spare bike on your back then you will have no need for tools or tubes. If your bike suffers any sort of malfunction just use the spare.
  • Why on your back? Fit a hydrogen balloon to the handlebars to keep it upright and tow it! :lol::lol:
  • jono986
    jono986 Posts: 103
    Carry a spare bike on your back then you will have no need for tools or tubes. If your bike suffers any sort of malfunction just use the spare.

good idea, sounds like a tip found in the Viz comic?