A couple of questions about air forks.......

Aud Reekie MTB
Aud Reekie MTB Posts: 164
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Good day to you all!

I have replaced my 2004 Cannondale Scalpel (still to sell the Scalpel!)with a Scott Scale 35 carbon which comes with a Rockshox Reba SL fork.

I love the new bike - feels v agile and the fork tracks great on the downhills.

However, whereas the Scalpel's Headshok Ultra (not the Lefty) was absolutely rigid when locked out, the Rebas still have a perhaps 15mm of travel when locked out. Of course, on a bike that weighs all of 23.3 lbs, it still climbs like a mountain goat with a firework up it's arse, but I do find it a bit disconcerting.

So, are all air forks like this? Are the Fox 32RLs that I've heard about so much about also like this?

Also, I wanted to fit a pop-lock bar mounted remote, but my lbs said because of the design of my particular Rebas I'd need to replace the top part of the fork too - what would that part be called (which the std lock-out screws into)

Cheers folks!

Andy

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's normal, when you adjust the floodgate it'll change how much movement there is when the fork is locked out.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cool.

Can it be adjusted to virtually no movement - and how do I do that - just vary the air in the positive and negative air chambers?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use the lockout?

but why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did you read the instructions with the Reba?

It is designed to have a small amount of travel for traction when locked.
  • you will always have a tiny bit of movement, its to protect the internals of the fork. Although i do find the lockout is better on the fox's over Rockshox. marzocchi are a waste of time when it comes to their lock out (well it was on my old Marathons)
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    supersonic wrote:
    Did you read the instructions with the Reba?

It is designed to have a small amount of travel for traction when locked.

Wow. A front wheel drive bike ? :lol:
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I use my Giant XTC for xc racing fitted with my trusty and reliable Rebas. They came with lockout (poplock) and are useful for uphills and fast straights, if I remember! Unlike a Fox or Headshock the Rebas will not lock solid but still provide some movement. I've never considered this a hindrance for getting uphill but actually a blessing if I forget to unlock going down, as the "floodgate" allows full movement for big hits. Do that on a Fox and you'll rattle your teeth out or even end up over the bars... However, if you are particularly powerful racer with steam driven legs you might benefit from a solid lockout.

To install an aftermarket Poplock seems a bit expensive but you may come across a good deal if your lucky.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Ginjafro wrote:
    I use my Giant XTC for xc racing fitted with my trusty and reliable Rebas. They came with lockout (poplock) and are useful for uphills and fast straights, if I remember! Unlike a Fox or Headshock the Rebas will not lock solid but still provide some movement. I've never considered this a hindrance for getting uphill but actually a blessing if I forget to unlock going down, as the "floodgate" allows full movement for big hits. Do that on a Fox and you'll rattle your teeth out or even end up over the bars... However, if you are particularly powerful racer with steam driven legs you might benefit from a solid lockout.

To install an aftermarket Poplock seems a bit expensive but you may come across a good deal if your lucky.

Cheers mate, that was what I was after!

Yup, I've forgotten to unlock the headshok before - can be an interesting experience!

Did look at Fox forks also - no mention of bar mounted lock-outs - I guess they are available and can be purchased aftermarket?

I was keen to have the "ultimate climber", hence being disappointed in the movement on lock-out. Do uou think that wee bit of movement actually absorbs any energy on climbing?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Do uou think that wee bit of movement actually absorbs any energy on climbing?

It will. But having a locked out fork also absorbs energy because it's more efficient to have a bike that can track over bumps rather than having to bump over the top of everything. The question is, which is less effective... Have to say I don't use my lockouts much at all, I use the propedal on my shock but not the fork lockouts even on the 6 inch one.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Did look at Fox forks also - no mention of bar mounted lock-outs - I guess they are available and can be purchased aftermarket?

I was keen to have the "ultimate climber", hence being disappointed in the movement on lock-out. Do uou think that wee bit of movement actually absorbs any energy on climbing?

Yeah Fox also do a remote lock out.

Agree with NW though, unless you're on a completely flat surface a little bit of movement is beneficial to keep the front wheel planted and pointing straight. I also rarely use lockout - I've taken the poploc off my Rebas because it was just becoming annoying bar clutter and I'll only use the propedal and fork lockout on my Giant when I'm on a long fireroad climb (I don't notice a great difference tbh and my Fox fork will lockout fully).
  • All good advice.

Had certainly noticed climbing on gravel/stoney tracks it works well, but seems less good on hardpack. Can be handy climbing over the wooden bars that they tend to stick over tracks in the Pentalnds!

Has anyone experimented with putting different pressures in upper and lower chambers on Rebas and other air forks? Recommended pressure for my weight is about 130psi, but I'm using 130 in the upper and 110 in the lower to make the fork stiff on climbs. Anybody tried this - what do you find works best?

Incidentally, is it true that a 100mm Fox (eg) fork will be better for climbing that a 140mm, even though both are locked out?

thanks again,

Andy
  • supersonic
    It is best to keep the Reba pressures within 15psi of each other as per the manual.

We have a guide in the FAQ on set up - but the damping and floodgate adjust should be best for stiffening the fork.

Shorter forks mean a steeper angle which can help - plus the harder spring for a given percentage sag.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have experimented with different + and - air but have gone back to running them equal.
    I set my air pressure to give me 25% sag.

More - makes them a tad more responsive on small stuff but also more prone to diving through the first part of travel and reduced the travel slightly.

It is worth tweaking the flood gate so that it has a higher threshold to overcome the lockout.

I rarely use my lock out unless on a long road climb and so have never found the lack of poploc a hindrance.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    In my opinion for the setup of RS forks for xc, you want to leave them locked out but with as low a threadhold on the floodgate as you can get without them moving when you pedal out of the saddle.

Then you've got 15mm travel most of the time unless you're really working the front end. Absolutely lush!
  • So, leading question, Reba SL versus Fox with the same travel - how does the less expensive RS fare?
  • supersonic
    The Fox R? Less adjustable. Only the RLC has the same level of adjustment, and then is not dual air.
  • So the Rebas can be better adjusted for an 88kg rider's weight?
  • supersonic
    Well, you have more tuning ability ie the dual air and low speed damping.