The happiest cyclists

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
why is it the cyclists who always have the smiles on their faces are those ones riding the big old heavy dutch style bikes?

I passed one this morning on my way home who was on a Kona Africa, a workhorse of a bike, everytime I have seen her she is loaded down with all kind of everything, and yet has always has a smile on her face and says good morning.

Me on the other hand, while a night shift may be an excuse, I look like death warmed up, put through the ringer and then killed again. It seems those of us on the fancy carbon bells and whistle bikes always look grumpy.
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I actually find the opposite. I'm the only road bike rider who isn't unbelievably cheery.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    maybe she enjoys Dutch "cafe" culture as well as Dutch bicycles
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Saddle adulteration?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • NGale
    Greg T wrote:
    Saddle adulteration?

:lol::lol:

If that's the case more of us need to try that. :wink::lol:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    NGale wrote:

You are well behind the curve in this space.

I've been mounting my bike by jumping off the garage roof onto it holding a bag of cement for ages......
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • NGale
    Greg T wrote:
    NGale wrote:

You are well behind the curve in this space.

I've been mounting my bike by jumping off the garage roof onto it holding a bag of cement for ages......

I had heard this rumour, but then you need to get all the thrills youi can at your age :wink::lol:
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Dutch bikes are very comfortable and relaxing to ride albeit not the most efficient form of bike.
    I chose to ride a rusty Batavus Barcelona instead of my Specialized Crossroads to work until I left the key in and some pikey nabbed it. Had to ride the Crossroads for a few days and hated it. Tried to buy another Barcelona but failed, got a MultiCycle Tour instead but it's a bit small. I am still looking for another creaky old Barcelona in my size.
    Like this but worse condition and less stolen.

I'm getting all misty eyed and nostalgic now.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • NGale wrote:
    why is it the cyclists who always have the smiles on their faces are those ones riding the big old heavy dutch style bikes?

I passed one this morning on my way home who was on a Kona Africa, a workhorse of a bike, everytime I have seen her she is loaded down with all kind of everything, and yet has always has a smile on her face and says good morning.

Me on the other hand, while a night shift may be an excuse, I look like death warmed up, put through the ringer and then killed again. It seems those of us on the fancy carbon bells and whistle bikes always look grumpy.

I got a Spesh Tricross, and I always smile if the sun is shinging! :D
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    NGale wrote:

Thats because they are quite clearly batsh1t insane. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Because they are safe in the knowledge that, with their massive FCN, they are virtually unscalpable, except maybe by one of those Google Streetview trikes
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    rjsterry wrote:
    Because they are safe in the knowledge that, with their massive FCN, they are virtually unscalpable, except maybe by one of those Google Streetview trikes

yep it's usually those beggers on the dutch bikes who pootle past you and you never seem to catch up!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    NGale wrote:

I got a Spesh Tricross, and I always smile if the sun is shinging! :D

+1 I am smiling now...... Might even take in the Renfrew Ferry on the way home - It only has another 2 weeks left :(
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • hipshaker
    hipshaker Posts: 21
    It's probably because she's got a very snassy bike...
    Kona Africabike 3 - 20kgs of love and steel
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Sometimes I miss the days of just being able to hop on a bike and go for a bike ride.

Now with the shoes, and clothes, and fettling of bikes it can seem like preparing for war just getting out the door.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    My girlfriend has a mid 80s Raleigh Caprice that I have been slowly upgrading with modern components. After my weekend fettling I always take it up and down the road and it's great fun.

Unfortunately all the extra weight has made my girlfriend almost a stronger cyclist than I am!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Aidy wrote:
    Sometimes I miss the days of just being able to hop on a bike and go for a bike ride.

Now with the shoes, and clothes, and fettling of bikes it can seem like preparing for war just getting out the door.

when i bike it to the supermarket, it takes me longer to get prepared, then lock up etc,. than the actual journey!!!!

trouble with sheffield, is the hills everywhere, and i only need to look at one to sweat, so i always cycle in proper gear, hence increased prep time...
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes they are smiling because they've probably never had to ride up some of the massive hills in south london on a bike like that.
  • NGale wrote:

I suspect that a lot of people who go for the full lycra/carbon combo regard the ride as 'training' or fast transport and have forgotten that part of the joy of cycling over simply driving is that it offers the opportunity to go as a more sedate pace, to enjoy your surroundings and to have some time to yourself. The obsession with speed means we are no better than the people in the shiny metal boxes in terms of enjoying the journey for the sake of the journey rather than the time it takes.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The obsession with speed means we are no better than the people in the shiny metal boxes in terms of enjoying the journey for the sake of the journey rather than the time it takes.

or we can do both, quite easily. They aren't mutually exclusive until you get to threshold level TT training.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    sooooooooooo many smiley cheery happy cyclist out today it was brilliant, one guy was so happy and enthusiastic about waving to me I thought he was gonna stop and hug me :lol:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes