Rear hub engineering drawing required

llamafarmer
llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

This is a long shot, but I'm trying to get hold of an engineering drawing of a rear hub. It doesn't really matter what make, just a standard freehub, ideally with cartridge bearings - Hope Pro 2 would be perfect. I've had a little idea for a new design that I want to explore, so I need to model something in solidworks.

Can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction? I'd rather not have to buy a hub and reverse engineer it! :lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked on any of the makers webbys?

halo have some and i am sure others do as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • llamafarmer
    Hope have a 3D exploded drawing, but I need quite a detailed dimensioned drawing, which is probably asking a lot. I'll trawl a few of the websites, cheers nick
  • nicklouse
    what do you really want?

what are you going to do with it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • llamafarmer
    I want to model it in 3D CAD, in fairness it doesn't need to be exact, just somewhere close. I'm in no rush because I don't think the idea I've had will really work, I just want to explore it a little and see what happens :)
  • nicklouse
    what are you modelling it in?

Pro E, Autocad or....

how far have you got? and how much detail do you want?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    any hub should be pretty easy to knock up in any 3d design program based on rough guesstimates and measurework, if that's all you need. alternatively you might be able to email hope and see if they've got any tech drawings kicking about. a basic model can't be more than half an hours work, surely?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • nicklouse
    huha-6d-mtb-rr-dwg.jpg

have not found the one i am looking for yet.
  • llamafarmer
    any hub should be pretty easy to knock up in any 3d design program based on rough guesstimates and measurework, if that's all you need. alternatively you might be able to email hope and see if they've got any tech drawings kicking about. a basic model can't be more than half an hours work, surely?

I'm not worried about how long it'll take, I use Solidworks every day at work so actually modelling it will be simple. As I said above, it would just make things a lot simpler if I could work from drawings and I didn't have to go dismantling any hubs :wink:

Like I say, this was a bit of a shot in the dark in the hope somebody might have something handy they'd used in the past. What I have in mind is nice in principle, but I think would be too heavy and susceptible to dirt to actually be practical, I just want to explore it a little further and see.
  • nicklouse
    llamafarmer
    if you want any thoughts on your design.

I will accept any UG compatible data. :wink:

I forget what SW can out put but IGES files are good.
  • bike-a-swan
    I've never used SW- I've spent a long time as a cad monkey on catia, done a fair bit of work using Unigrapics and tried some others (I don't miss basic 2d cad training on autocad, one of the most boring things I've done!). How does SW match up?

for a while I was planning on building up a model of my bike gradually as I took bits apart, then last summer arrived and I had something to do with my evenings
  • llamafarmer
    Cheers nicklouse, I might need your technical knowledge later on as I start hitting walls. I'll get an NDA drawn up for you to sign :wink:

bike-a-swan - I trained in Unigraphics at uni as well. I really like SW, it's got a really user friendly interface where you kind of loosely sketch things up and then dimension them afterwards, so you can work really quickly. It probably wouldn't work as well for the kind of high end stuff that Catia can produce, but for small projects it's brilliant - I've done a few fairly complex SP machines on it lately.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    trained in Pro/E here, use SW all the time at home, lots of small engineering firms use SW as it cheap, intuitive and they have no requirements for Pro/E Catia etc, SW has a great rending package built in

OP - aren't the engineering drawings the intellectual property of the manufacturer? they might have simplified details in their brochures, but at the end of the day all the dimensioning is a result of their hard work, designing, FEA etc, and they don't want to just give it away,
    I had to model an MG car at uni and wanted detailed drawings, for a car that is no longer in production, but couldn't get the drawings anywhere
  • llamafarmer
    amt27 wrote:
    OP - aren't the engineering drawings the intellectual property of the manufacturer? they might have simplified details in their brochures, but at the end of the day all the dimensioning is a result of their hard work, designing, FEA etc, and they don't want to just give it away,

Yep, which is why I thought it was unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibillity that a company might release fairly detailed diagrams for mechanics for example. A dimensioned diagram is a long way from a full manufacturing drawing complete with tolerances, materials, finishes etc etc....
  • bike-a-swan
    i never really got on with the unigraphics interface, but for some reason I work really well with catia- it seems to think like me
  • nicklouse
    i never really got on with the unigraphics interface, but for some reason I work really well with catia- it seems to think like me

err catia does my head in.

UG is fun. had a look at autocad for the first time in about 10year the other day.

dont want to see it again.
  • bike-a-swan
    yeah, it seems to be a bit marmite. some of the new autodesk kit looks alright, I saw an article in an engineering magazine (can't remember which one) about whyte's use of it for design.