Road/mtb helmet

bushtuckerlad
bushtuckerlad Posts: 52
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Hi i am a newbie to road bikes and sorry for the dumb question but what is different between a road helmet and mtb if any.Got myself a specializes allez elite last saturday and already done 179 miles and love it.thanks

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    edited March 2010
    Wear what ever you feel comfortable in. In answer to your question, perhaps they are more streamlined or lighter - i dont really know either. Personally i just go for what looks good to me.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Hi thanks for that,Im local to you im from cramlington.Yourself? thanks
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    I find road helmets to be better ventillated. used to suffer with a very hot head when i wore a cheap mtb helmet. no problems with my giro ionos which is also really light and looks the mutts nuts ;)
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Hi thanks for that,Im local to you im from cramlington.Yourself? thanks

I live in Jarrow about 300mtrs from the pedestrian tunnel.
    I should be getting my first road bike next week i hope so i will be very new to roadbikes
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    virtually no difference, usually just colour/style and mtb helmets tend to have a visor though you can normally unclip it
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited March 2010
    An MTB helmet will have a peak and on a good quality one the cooling will be optimised for slower speeds.
    Road ones work by drawing air through the helmet using vents in the low pressure area at the rear. This is more efficient at speed.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yes, the more expensive road ones are better ventilated, that`s crucial in the summer.
    Smarter than the average bear.