The Ridgeway accomodation

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Not sure if this counts as an expedition but I am thinking of riding the Ridgeway with a non riding friend in September starting at the southern end and doing it in 2 days with a stop in the Thames valley. Looking for cheap accomodation has anyone got any ideas where to stay. The only place that seems to fit the bill so far is the Youth Hostel at Streatley.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There used to be a YHA right on the Ridgeway at Wantage, but not any more.

I stayed at a decent pub near Avebury - I can't remember the name though.

Sorry. I know that's not much help.

Goring-on-Thames is a good place to start, both because it's easy(ish) to get to and because before it there is a lot of bitting and bobbing.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Plan is to do a 2 car job park one car in Tring then drive to Avebury park up and do ride so only need the one nights accomadation roughly in the middle. My original plan was to have a go at doing it in one day but my mate doesnt think his bum would last, so he wants to have a break. He doesnt realise how sore his bum is going to be on the second morning :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    edited March 2010
    andymiller wrote:
    There used to be a YHA right on the Ridgeway at Wantage, but not any more.
    The former Ridgeway hostel at Wantage still exists, but isn't YHA any more. (The Court Hill Centre)

There's a YHA bunkhouse at the Goddard Arms, Clyffe Pypard, which is about 5 miles north of Avebury. I've never used it, but the pub serves good beer.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    andrew_s wrote:
    The former Ridgeway hostel at Wantage still exists, but isn't YHA any more.

Ah that's good to know. Cheers.