Funn F2, only 2 weeks old and can't be returned to the shop.

Newton1981
Newton1981 Posts: 32
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, it's out of hours so I cant ring the shop till the morning, and I thought I would ask on here see if anyone can help me out!

I have an Orange G2 from sunsetmtb.co.uk and I think the front brake (hydraulic Funn F2) needs bleeding. My bike is only two weeks old (the lever pulls all the way to the lever and when I move the bike with the lever pulled the brake makes a clunking noise near the rotor/hub), now thing is, Im in Manchester and Sunset are in Cardiff so I don't think returning it to the shop is an option!

Basically, two questions:
Should Sunset take responsibility for the problem and is there a way they can pay a local shop to sort it?

Does it even sound like the brake needs bleeding to you and does this cause the nasty clunking noise?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Definatly sounds like it needs bled.

The cluncking is probably the pads moving or something.

Probably a waranty job so the shop should be able to sort something for you but because the waranty is held with them you may be stuck with them unless you pay
  • Thanks for the quick reply, obviously I will ring them first thing and see what the score is, just wondered if anyone had come across the sort of situation before and got the original shop to pay somehow.

Its not a massive cost, more of a principle thing really, dont see why I should pay for it!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If it is a reputable shop then they should get it done especially since brakes should work well for about a year without needing bled.

Sorry I can't be of any more help :?
  • Check the banjo bolt if it has one , twice in the last 2 months I have seen them knocked loose.Although its usually obvious from the oil spewed out.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited March 2010
    Newton1981 wrote:
    My bike is only two weeks old (the lever pulls all the way to the lever and when I move the bike with the lever pulled the brake makes a clunking noise near the rotor/hub),!

so what have you done to cause this to happen?

did the brakes work before?
    what have you done since?

is anything missing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Newton1981 wrote:
    My bike is only two weeks old (the lever pulls all the way to the lever and when I move the bike with the lever pulled the brake makes a clunking noise near the rotor/hub),!

is anything missing?

they have just got gradually worse, they worked ok at first and when I asked if they were good enough I was told they needed to bed in, but it's got worse and now they hardly work at all!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    you haven't removed the wheel by chance and slotted it back in incorrectly?

Can you take a pic of the brake close up. I don't think this is a bleed issue, I think its an alignment issue. Alternatively it could be that the bleed screw is not tight and that you have drawn air in.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Newton1981 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Newton1981 wrote:

is anything missing?

they have just got gradually worse, they worked ok at first and when I asked if they were good enough I was told they needed to bed in, but it's got worse and now they hardly work at all!

sounds like you need to either adjust the reach adjuster or the pads are worn out/missing.

have you looked to see what the condition is? have you adjusted the reach?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I dont trust my knowledge of hydraulics to be messing with it, and I have a good LBS, will take it round at lunch to get sorted and then approach sunset for a credit note for the value of the works, fingers crossed!
  • Right, Orange have agreed that I get it bled and they will reimburse me, trouble is, none of my local bike shops can fit me in.

Is it possible I could do this myself with a bleed kit and if so, what bleed hit is compatible with the Funn F2?
  • Right, just come back from Evans (nearest bike shop) and they said they couldnt bleed my Funns because they didnt have the kit, but they said they had let some air out of the reservoir by putting the lever upright and removing the top from the reservoir.

This seems to have made the front brakes a lot better, but the back brake is absolutely shite now!

I can tell by the position of the levers that they have moved the entire handlebar and not just the front lever, could this have affected the back brake (as they shouldnt have touched the rear brake)?????

I could always take it back tomorrow, but to be honest, if brains were dynamite they couldnt blow their own caps off, so is the procedure they have done (removing air from the reservoir) something I can do, and will this sort my back brake out?

Bloody hell, any more bother and Im sending it back to Cardiff to get sorted, I just dont want to be without my bike so if I can get it sorted myself I will, any more advice????
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'd take it as an excuse to uprgrade them but seeing as you've not had it long you probably don't want to

you could get a bleed kit and do it yourself, and then you'd be sorted for the future too, or just get a shop to do it

http://www.2026distribution.com/stockists.html

all the shops on that list stock funn brakes so should be able to sort them because they should all have a bleed kit for them, just a matter of finding one fairly local to you
  • What would be the best upgrade, without much cost? Could I trade in or sell the funns? What brakes would be better? I wouldn't mind upgrading to be honest, I've had nothing but trouble so far!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Ummm depends on how good a brake you want, and what you mean by "without much cost" prices are very varied and you'd be looking at £150+

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... rakes.html
  • i also have an orange G2 and my front brake also has this problem, where can i get a bleed kit compatible with funn f2 brakes?
    Tim

''Dude, I'm bleeding! where's the duct tape?''