Quality steel....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Post nicking of carbon road bike - now looking to build up a steel road frame with modern components - any ideas of good, cheap base frames to start from? I will probably use SRAM Rival groupset as I already have allot of stuff.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Cinelli XCR Cristal Mirror frameset? Yours for a mere £2,149.99....

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=chic-CC2
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Cheap AND steel is quite a difficult one for a frame only as the mass market is almost entirely devoted to alu or carbon. This is partly why I have become so attached to my old Giant as I can' find anything to replace it at a reasonable price. Charge do a quite nice looking Scissor frame for £230ish, but this is SS only. Surly Pacer frames are availlable through Wiggle for £350 and seem to have good reviews, or moving up again, Mercian will do you something very nice for £600, but we are out of cheap territory now. Don't know whether you could run to a custom build if kept basic, but these seem to start at around £800 IIRC which isn't exactly cheap either. Might be worth scanning the classifieds for a second hand frame. Probably not much help, but that's my 2p.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    A friend has an old road bike from Dave Yates:
    http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/
    that I've ridden and really like how it feels.
    I'm mulling over a steel frame for my next N +1 bike - probably something that'll take mudguards and a rack too :oops:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    What size are you? I may consider flogging my old 653 at the right price :wink: Very retro too so must be cool, a bit extra and you have the down tube shifters too :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sorry pross - want 130mm rear spacing for a 10 speed cassette and will use STI levers......not too uber cool as I don't want it nicked (like the carbon bike was!)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Short of an eBay classic, I'd suggest a Salsa Casseroll or Surly Pacer. The Condor Fratello is lush.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Thorn Audax Mk3
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    kaffenback?
  • rjsterry
    Roastie wrote:
    Short of an eBay classic, I'd suggest a Salsa Casseroll or Surly Pacer. The Condor Fratello is lush.

Roastie, am I detecting a West Country heritage? That's the second time you've used the word lush (as in gert) today. I get looked at right funny using it in London.

EDIT: Hmm not sure about the geometry on that Fratello, from an aesthetic point of view that is. I prefer the more old skool looks of the Surly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    rjsterry wrote:
    EDIT: Hmm not sure about the geometry on that Fratello, from an aesthetic point of view that is. I prefer the more old skool looks of the Surly.

+1 From pictures on the 'net I was seriously considering the Fratello last year. But in the flesh, I just don't like the funny-shaped top tube - to me, it detracts from the classic-skinny-steel look.
    Misguided Idealist
  • rjsterry
    Yep. Looks like it's trying to be an alu bike.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    rjsterry wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Roastie, am I detecting a West Country heritage? That's the second time you've used the word lush (as in gert) today. I get looked at right funny using it in London.
    Nope, probably just impressionable ;) - have spent a lot of time lately with a colleague from Bristol.
  • rjsterry
    Consider it our gift to the world.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Only one way to do this properly - proper old school British hand made steel frame. Eg aforementioned Dave Yates, a Woodrup or Bob Jackson or any number of alternatives.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    owenlars wrote:
    Thorn Audax Mk3

+1
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Aapje wrote:
    owenlars wrote:
    Thorn Audax Mk3

+1

+2

Or the surly pacer. Or my personal fave, bob jackson. Mmmm
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    From the reviews today - looks like a nice option if you're after a full bike for £1k:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-10-36088
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Something off Flea bay tarted up? Mind you, everyone on there seems to be 6ft tall minimum...

Or you could get a Roberts (might struggle with the budget!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.