Hardknott Pass

2»

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Done it twice now. Great climb. Anyone says it shouldn't be on the Fred is seriously missing the point IMO. It's a tough, technical climb and is a genuine test of a number of things, which is what the FWC should be.

I've done 4 Himalayan passes above 17,000 feet, Atlas passes in Morocco, Alp D'Huez, Galibier, Ventoux, D'Aspin ..........and Hardknott is up there with all of them. A classic.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'm in the Lakes this summer and am planning a loop that goes up the Duddon valley through Seathwaite and then takes a right onto Wrynose for a first taster of hellish Lakeland steepness.

What's Wrynose like in that direction? It looks steep (double chevron on the OS,) but short (relative to the full Hardknott from the West or Wrynose from the East experience).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Philip S wrote:
    I'm in the Lakes this summer and am planning a loop that goes up the Duddon valley through Seathwaite and then takes a right onto Wrynose for a first taster of hellish Lakeland steepness.

What's Wrynose like in that direction? It looks steep (double chevron on the OS,) but short (relative to the full Hardknott from the West or Wrynose from the East experience).

How are you getting to Ulpha? Theres some nasty steep ways to there?....but if you are heading up the Duddon then its a lovely road....leading to Cockley Beck...Hardknott on the Left and Wrynose to the Right....Wrynose from this approach is not all that bad (relatively speaking)...it has one super steep ramp...but fairly standard to other Lakes killers...out of the 4 climbs associated here (Both sides of Hardknott & Wrynose) Wrynose is by far the easiest....the otherside of Wrynose is a different ballgame....

Heres a wee bit info...

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... =97&page=7
  • Philip S
    I'll be heading in from the east - possibly through Broughton Mills. I'll need to check the OS map to identify the ramps.

The Duddon valley is indeed beautiful - this loop is as much about heading up there as seeing Wrynose.

Thanks for the link - the photo is a good reminder. I've been over there in a car a few times, but haven't attempted it on a bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Philip S wrote:
    I'll be heading in from the east - possibly through Broughton Mills. I'll need to check the OS map to identify the ramps.

The Duddon valley is indeed beautiful - this loop is as much about heading up there as seeing Wrynose.

Thanks for the link - the photo is a good reminder. I've been over there in a car a few times, but haven't attempted it on a bike.

If you are swinging in from the East...then I beleive you will head through Torver and head over Broughton Moor to Broughton Mills...and thats not a stroll....:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... =72&page=1

Then you'll have Stickle Pike to get to Hall Dunnerdale and the Duddon:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... =91&page=6

Lovely route....and worth all the effort...good luck!
  • andybott
    andybott Posts: 22
    we did the fred route last year and I weighed 100kg at the time, madeit up on a triple. My mate said I looked dreadful at the top.I never plan to try it again having done it once, but I have said that before.
  • Philip S
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Lovely route....and worth all the effort...good luck!

Looks fun! I've got plenty of cycling before I go so I should be pretty fit by the time I do the ride. It looks like it should be pretty enjoyable. Quiet too, I'd expect.

Cheers
  • Im doing the lake loop on the 11th of april just wondered what the road surfaces were like pot hole wise.