Anyone have a Decathlon Sport 1?

2»

Comments

• fastbatard
    fastbatard Posts: 137
    Bought one from Glasgow this morning, 33 miles run up the campises hills, through the carron valley and back via klysth.

All good apart from maybe so adjustment needed on the front derailuer, time will tell though!

Glad to see you got one and that first impressions are good. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it over the coming weeks.

Enjoy your new bike!
  • alanswalker
    alanswalker Posts: 27
    Hey guys, quick up date.

Bike seems good, adjusted the gears a bit but that bout it, done probably 150 miles in a fortnight and all is well.

Only thing ive dont is fitted some spds.

Seems pretty quick to me but its my first road bike so nothing to compare it to. Brakes arent the best and the bar tape has moved around on one side and i can now see the metal beneath, maybe poor quality tape or maybe it wasnt applied properly.

Saddle is good imho and all round quite please with my first road bike.
  • alanswalker
    Hey guys, quick up date.

Bike seems good, adjusted the gears a bit but that bout it, done probably 150 miles in a fortnight and all is well.

Seems pretty quick to me but its my first road bike so nothing to compare it to. Brakes arent the best and the bar tape has moved around on one side and i can now see the metal beneath, maybe poor quality tape or maybe it wasnt applied properly.

• deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    If it's the Viper saddle, I found it good too but that may be more because it fits my sit bones.

The first thing I replaced after the pedals was the tyres. No punctures for the 1st 1000 or so miles, but after that they started to cut up quite badly. And they're not very secure in the wet. After an embarrassing off on greasy roads, I ended up taking all corners very slowly. I picked up some Rubino Pros a couple of months ago and they feel much more grippy.
  • alanswalker
    Aye forgot to mention the tyres, maybe i was just trying to block out the i was trying to block out the embarrassing skid, sideways skid, skid, fingernails recovery on day one!
    ill check them out.
  • fastbatard
    Hey guys, quick up date.

Glad to hear you're getting on with it ok.

I picked one up last week. They seemed to have trouble setting it up. Two guys worked on it for about an hour before then taking it to the workshop for a mechanic to 'fine tune' the front derailluer for another half hour. The mechanic then talked me through the gears and advised me about avoiding the extremes, ie small cog up front with small cog at back. I was already aware of this but appreciated the advice.

After getting home I went for a very short ride to try it out. I'm finding that when in the middle cog at the front and in the smallest two cogs at the rear the chain is rubbing a lot on the front derailluer. I didn't think this was an 'extreme' as i thought you could use the full range of rear gears when on the middle cog at the front. Is this the case with your bike?

Can I ask what colour are your brake levers? The display model had silver levers that show what gear you're in, but mine has black levers without the indicators. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if this is a money saving spec change?

After they seemed to have trouble setting it up I'm feeling a little fobbed off with the advice on gear extremes. The front brake cable is also not seated properly so that needs sorting too. Plus I've noticed slight damage on the braking surface of the rear rim that must have been there in the shop as I definitely haven't done it.

I'm going to take it back in tomorrow but so far not a happy chappy!

On a plus note though on the short ride I had and apart from these problems the bike felt very good.
  • alanswalker
    Aye i've also had some rubbing on the front derailer, usually only when on the large chain ring and the larger cogs. Its not to noticeable when gently pedaling but get quite bad if you decide to really go for it on the down stroke of the drive side if you know what i mean.

I've played about with it myself and in my opinion its not as bad as when i first picked it up. I defo never had them playing with it for over an hour i was in an out inside 20 mins, not my first visit. I happy enough with it just now and when i take it back for its first free service i'll mention it then, feeling pretty good about that 2 year warranty on the parts.

Also we both seem to be having the same problem so maybe its an issue with the specific derailer. If you let me know how you get on i would appreciate it.

Mine has the silver with indicator but i did notice a couple of others had the black with no indicators.

cheers
  • fastbatard
    I took the bike back today and explained the problems. They changed the back wheel straight away and I left it with them to do the gears and brake. When I returned the gears were done but brake hadn't been touched! :x

A different guy was there so he did the front brake and also adjusted the back brake. When I got it back I noticed the back brake had been adjusted whilst in the open position so needed doing again. I was starting to get annoyed now as there was never a problem with the back brake.

Anyway to cut a long story short all seems ok now. There is still slight rubbing on the front derailleur when in middle cog and small cog up back but mechanic explained this is normal. Not sure I 100% believe this but it is a £270 bike after all. I suspect the front derailleur is pretty basic and I may consider upgrading it.

Very hit and miss service from decathlon so far, I did expect better.

I've put on some Vittoria Rubino tyres (they look really cool on the bike in red!) and some crud road racers as I'll be using it mainly for commuting. I'll be doing my first commute tomorrow so will get a better idea.

I'll keep you posted!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have the 7.1 sport - I use it daily to commutte - its been fantastic never a problem in all 4 years I have had it.

Best VFM bikes out there.
  • fastbatard
    I feel I need to provide an update regarding Decathlon's customer service. The cycle manager, who wasn't at work yesterday, phoned me today to apologise for my experiences and offered me a gift voucher as a goodwill gesture. I was really impressed that he took the time, a lot of shops wouldn't bother.

Done 15 miles today and bike feels really good. Definately fantastic VFM. I can't believe I've been commuting on a mountain bike based hybrid when a road bike feels this good. I even went a slightly longer way round on my commute and it took the same time as before.

Definately a case of 'use the right tool for the job!'
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    fastbatard wrote:

can I ask what colour are your brake levers? The display model had silver levers that show what gear you're in, but mine has black levers without the indicators. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if this is a money saving spec change?

The brake levers have not long changed.These are the new levers from Shimano and stock is varying so far depending on the bike size.The Sport 1 originally came with the black levers.The silver levers are now replacing them so its not a cost saving exercise.

The bar tape has been a bit of a problem.I think it stems from the factory as the stores do not apply it.It could be down to the adhesive or not being wrapped tight enough.

The issues you have had with the gears as sadly part and parcel of the groupset.At this level not much adjustment is built into it by Shimano.Its down to both the shifter and the front mech.

Not sure what store you went to but I'm glad they sorted you out and you went away happy.This is always Decathlons policy and one I enforce greatly at my branch in Stockport
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Wappygixer wrote:
    fastbatard wrote:

can I ask what colour are your brake levers? The display model had silver levers that show what gear you're in, but mine has black levers without the indicators. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if this is a money saving spec change?

The brake levers have not long changed.These are the new levers from Shimano and stock is varying so far depending on the bike size.The Sport 1 originally came with the black levers.The silver levers are now replacing them so its not a cost saving exercise.

The bar tape has been a bit of a problem.I think it stems from the factory as the stores do not apply it.It could be down to the adhesive or not being wrapped tight enough.

The issues you have had with the gears as sadly part and parcel of the groupset.At this level not much adjustment is built into it by Shimano.Its down to both the shifter and the front mech.

Not sure what store you went to but I'm glad they sorted you out and you went away happy.This is always Decathlons policy and one I enforce greatly at my branch in Stockport

I've not had much done at Stockport store. But when I have then workshop staff always been very helpful and efficient. Must put somethign more testing their/your way!
  • russelle
    russelle Posts: 46
    Just found this thread as I'm considering either the Sport 1 or the Halfords Carrera TdF Ltd Ed bike.

I take it if you order online for home delivery, the bike arrives as it was sent from the factory & it's up to the buyer to do pedals, bars etc? Not that I'm concerned, more curious!

TBH, if I went for the Carrera, I would rather do it myself anyway!
  • Wappygixer
    The Sport 1 gets built ready to ride, the pedals are removed and the bars turned.
    10 mins after delivery and your up and running.
    The sport 1 and the carrera are pretty much the same bike tbh, they both run the same groupset, the only real difference is that the Sport 1 comes with a triple which is good if you live in a hilly area.
    You also get a better warranty with the Sport 1, 2 years parts and 5 years frame.
  • russelle
    Cheers for that.

Just went to Halfords & saw the Carrera in a large which measures 51cm C-T!

At least Decathlon offer a range of sizes in cm rather than Med & Lge. I think my mind is made up!
  • fastbatard
    My bar tape has started to slip as well, can now see the bars beneath it! Wonder if this will be replaced at 3 month service if it's a known problem? I'll certainly be enquiring when I take it in!
  • Wappygixer
    fastbatard wrote:
    My bar tape has started to slip as well, can now see the bars beneath it! Wonder if this will be replaced at 3 month service if it's a known problem? I'll certainly be enquiring when I take it in!

It doesn't need replacing it just needs re-wrapping.
    I think I have tracked it down to the bar tape not having an adhesive backing (not all bartape does).
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    i got a decathlon sport ltd (i think)( red and silver, 16 speed sora group) when i was working at the stockport decathlon (hi Wappygixer) about 3 years ago and untill about a month ago was still useing it as a training bike. i have tryed my hardest to kill the frame, ridden it off road, skatepark, its even been under a car(with me clipped to it) and it just keeps coming back for more. as far as i can tell they havnt changed the frame much from my spost ltd and the new sport 1and i cant recommend it highly enough, rides well, stiff enough to sprint/climb but not to stiff thats its an uncomfortable ride. didnt mean this to be so long :/ sorry haha
  • russelle
    Anyone know what courier Decathlon use to deliver the bikes?

The website says delivery within 5 days, I would liek it delivered when someone's at home so they will actually deliver rather than return to a depot.
  • fastbatard
    Still loving my Sport 1 and truly hooked on road bikes, so much so that I'm now upgrading as my employer has finally started a C2W scheme. One shiny new Specialized Allez on its way!
    Watch this space for a 3 month old, mint, Sport 1 :wink:
  • russelle
    What size is your sport 1?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    A colleague at work rides an older Sport 1 with Sora....... never let them down, despite not being mechanically minded to look after it like I would a bike....

Good bikes, good support. Gears well...come on, you might not get the extremes with a road triple..........you also need to learn how to adjust gears, don't expect a shop to sort it every time.....
  • fastbatard
    russelle wrote:

It's a 57cm.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I have a size 57 sport 1. Has been a little clunky at first but a generous splash of bike oil it all stopped. I don't have much to compare it to - I've only owned like 3 bikes before (2 as a child and one super crappy MTB), but the bike does it's job - it takes me to work and pretty quickly at that. The wheels might get out of true pretty quickly, but hey - I take them do decathlon and get them repaired. Generally good value for money.
    I will soon attach a Adventure AT3 trailer to it and see how it deals with it.
  • Wappygixer
    russelle wrote:
    Anyone know what courier Decathlon use to deliver the bikes?

The website says delivery within 5 days, I would liek it delivered when someone's at home so they will actually deliver rather than return to a depot.

We use Parcelforce to delivery our bikes.As with most delivery companies it gets delivered vwhen it does.If no one is in it will go to the depot.
    The store will contact you though to let you know when its been sent out and also supply tracking details if you so wish.You can then at least plan to have soneone in.
  • russelle
    Cheers, ordered one from Lakeside, apparently it's now at the delivery depot in Liverpool :(

Doesn't inspire confidence!
  • I got myself a sport 1 yesterday :D i got it from the Glasgow store.

There is just 1 or 2 things that i`ll need to sort...

The front derailleur will need adjusted, but i`m unsure what to do with it. Its not shifting from middle to small (well it takes about 10/12 seconds to shift with a rattling noise on the inside of the derailleur) when i`m on the bike tho its fine when on a workstand :? am i really that fat the gears don`t work properly when i`m on the bike :cry: :oops:

And i`m not keen on the pedals with the toe clip so i`ll be changing them soon.

But other that those small problems i`m very happy with it, now i can use the mountain bike for its proper terrain.
  • Wappygixer

The front derailleur will need adjusted, but i`m unsure what to do with it. Its not shifting from middle to small (well it takes about 10/12 seconds to shift with a rattling noise on the inside of the derailleur) when i`m on the bike tho its fine when on a workstand :? am i really that fat the gears don`t work properly when i`m on the bike :cry: :oops:

Are you trying to change gear under load?If so drop the pedal pressure for a fraction of a second, this will help it shift.
    If not return it to the store and ask the workshop guys to have a look at it.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    fastbatard wrote:
    russelle wrote:

It's a 57cm.

my size!
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • fastbatard
    Due to the arrival of my new bike my Sport 1 is now in the classifieds section!