Why are people making bikes out of Bamboo

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Why? Is it natures wonder material? What is the fascination?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is straight and hollow and some people think it looks nice.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Why not?

It's low cost (or could be), sustainable and is capable. People build all manner of things out of bamboo, so why not bikes?

I just want one so I can see if it's any good.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I could ask the same question as to why people ride bikes without gears or brakes these days? *runs*

Basically they get publicity at shows, bring in the crowds, get people talking (this), give that modern eco-touch, sustainable materials etc etc.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

They want to be chased by pandas.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mantaray
    mantaray Posts: 28

That's silly. Pandas are slow and lethargic. A panda couldn't chase someone on a bike.

Tut.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Presumably because it works quite well. And because of fashion.

I want a bicycle made from bone. Lighter and stronger than carbon fibre?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just remember to not leave the bike in standing in a field - or else when you come back, your 56cm frame will be a 60cm one :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    The spin says that it is nature’s wonder material. It is fast growing, strong and flexible. It doesn’t rust and is very light. It requires no mining, smelting or other such environmentally unfriendly practices. However, there are some issues which need to be addressed before its green credentials are fully realized. The inability to weld it also means that joints need to be bound and reinforced with other technologies (all of which are still in their early stages) and its organic nature means that each bike is unique – something which QA departments struggle with since what any decent company wants is to know the engineering tolerances of their products. The tolerances have to be wider with bamboo.

All of that said – it’s freaking cool. I would love a bamboo bike! I have some bamboo fibre t-shirts and they are as good as any technical tee – and a lot cheaper.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    mantaray wrote:

That's silly. Pandas are slow and lethargic. A panda couldn't chase someone on a bike.

Tut.

I'm sure it could, if you taught the Panda how to ride properly, give it some tips on aerodynamics etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    Why make a bike out of steel / aluminium / Ti / Carbon etc.? The properties of bamboo are apparently ideal for the job.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Pross wrote:
    Why make a bike out of steel / aluminium / Ti / Carbon etc.? The properties of bamboo are apparently ideal for the job.

how are they ideal?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    I worked with a professor a few years ago who had a side project that focused on the nanostructural properties of bamboo after different treatment. He said, with the right treatment, it could potentially be better than the highest grade carbon fibre in terms of it's engineering properties, i.e. weight, modulus etc. No idea why they use it on bikes now though.

I myself worked on bone regeneration and if you ask me, I reckon within a 100 years time, self regenerating materials could be used for stuff like airplane wings, car chassis and even bicycles frames. Something like bone, it's actually pretty amazing, it's strong, light, stiff in the direction it needs to be, and it can repair itself when it cracks/damaged, why can't we make materials like that? It's simple, not much different from wood, just natural stuff evolved over many thousands of years.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It is not like using Bamboo in bikes is new though.

Biomega have been at it for years.

http://www.biomega.dk/biomega.aspx

but it is also shaft drive.

att732ba.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I had a bowl made from bamboo. It delaminated and fell apart when washed....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    Sounds like carbon in the rain :lol:
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    mantaray wrote:

Tut.

i have a mind to report you to the RSPCA for discrimination against minority animals. the average running speed of a panda is 17mph which would give a few people a good run for their money http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Average_running_speed_of_panda
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    akcc05 wrote:
    I worked with a professor a few years ago who had a side project that focused on the nanostructural properties of bamboo after different treatment. He said, with the right treatment, it could potentially be better than the highest grade carbon fibre in terms of it's engineering properties, i.e. weight, modulus etc. No idea why they use it on bikes now though.

I myself worked on bone regeneration and if you ask me, I reckon within a 100 years time, self regenerating materials could be used for stuff like airplane wings, car chassis and even bicycles frames. Something like bone, it's actually pretty amazing, it's strong, light, stiff in the direction it needs to be, and it can repair itself when it cracks/damaged, why can't we make materials like that? It's simple, not much different from wood, just natural stuff evolved over many thousands of years.

what a cool idea... it'd be a bit freaky riding a bike that was "alive" and that you had to feed a glass of milk every night before going to bed.
  • I'll bite, DDD. I am indeed making a bike out of Bamboo. Why? Well, why not? I'm one of these people who when people say I can't do something, I do it.

The bamboo I'm using is closely related to Meso bamboo, which is used as scaffolding poles in Asia. It has a lot of benefits over steel for scaffolding which transfer over to bikes. Firstly it's very strong (stronger than steel for a given weight), but has better flexibility and crash resistance than carbon. All in all, it a very good material to use. Plus I get to custom design the frame to my specifications and dimensions.

I've bought steel lugs to glue the bamboo into, and will wrap areas of the bamboo in carbon fibre if it need extra strength. I expect to do this on the seat/chain stays and around the bottom bracket.

My entire steel/carbon/bamboo track frame should weigh in at around 1.3 KGs. Roughly the same as a Kuota Kharma. Except mine's a custom build and has cost me about £50 for the lugset and dropouts.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    teticio wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:

what a cool idea... it'd be a bit freaky riding a bike that was "alive" and that you had to feed a glass of milk every night before going to bed.

A bike that is alive might turn its own pedals.....
  • Just to add, the ride on a bamboo bike is meant to be like nothing else. Almost silent, the perfect SCR weapon.

:twisted: