Argos Racing - thumbs up!

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Just wanted to say what a helpful bunch of chaps at Argos Racing. Phoned them up this morning to get a quote on getting the GT Resprayed. Nowt wrong with it, not a chip but want a 2-pack hardwearing 'gloss finish' got a great quote for the following work:

Respray of swingarm and front triangle (2-pack gloass white - extra hard wearing)
Facing of headtube and BB shell
Removal of old headset and new one fitted on-site
New decals fitted and clear coated.

So now need to get funds together....... :)

And research how to dismantle the i-drive system... LOL

There's nothing wrong with the anodised finish to the GT, but I like 'flash' paintjobs that 'POP' and always liked white...... seems silly to send a brand new frame to get stripped and resprayed...... but yeah, I'm like that ;)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are you after Andy's Tart tag?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    So how much did they quote for that lot then?
  • The Big Cheese
    So how much did they quote for that lot then?

£210 all in which to me (on a 2.5k bike) is worth it?

Thats picked up, all the work above done and droped off back to me ;)

Yes, someone will say "The local powder coater is only £50" but that's not what I want and Argos are legendary for top-drawer paintjobs and it's piece of mind....

nick
    I'm not that bad although I'm having a 'The Big Cheese' graphic somwhere on the top tube ;):lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Is this on your GT? Whats wrong with the current colour, I think it looks awesome as it is.
  • specialeyes
    Sound pretty good! Like you say if your gonna get it done, get it done by the pro's who have the experience with bikes!

Got a mate who needs a respray, he should give these guys a call.
  • The Big Cheese
    Briggo wrote:
    Is this on your GT? Whats wrong with the current colour, I think it looks awesome as it is.

Yep, it's a nice paintjob, but I want something different, it will look great when it's done......

It's a bit 'subdued' for me, I like lairy bikes as you can probably see from the Marin LOL

I'm even now looking at getting a custom headtube badge made for it in pewter ;)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    :lol: You massive tart!

Your credit card company must love you :D
  • The Big Cheese
    :lol: You massive tart!

Your credit card company must love you :D

TBH I don't use them, if I have the spare readies at the end of each month I use it........

Cannot wait, I have found the GT decals already......

Frame is going to be white, red decals, US flag on seatube and *hopefully* a pewter badge, which will either be the GT logo or one that's custom to me.....

Hey, I could have a block of swiss cheese, with 'Big Cheese' over it, it would obviously be 3d........ hey, it's my bike so no laughing, it's tongue in cheek of course ;)
  • specialeyes
    This is gonna look sweet! You have my vote for the custom badge, i actually like the idea of the cheese :D
  • The Big Cheese
    rigto, been making some enquiries and the htube badge aint worth it £80!!

So, leaving it blank

White frame with red official GT decals (just outline) on downtube

And one of these on top tube (near headtube)

sanction4.png

sanction3.png

sanction2php.png

makepngphp.png

On the rear triangle shall have 2x official shimano decals and on the seatube there shall be an american flag

Should look ace ;)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    A. wow, expensive for something so totaly unccassary.
    B. Cool, i want it!!!!! sounds lush!
    C. def this one:
    sanction3.png
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Big Cheese
    Cheers, over the next few weeks shall get the decals made and ordered.

Then, shall get the frame sent off, I want/need to order my new rear mech/gear cables first....

Again, I only spend what I have 'free' each month (this mont not so much as been quiet work-wise)

God, it's an expensive hobby... especially for tarts like me :lol::lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966

Then, shall get the frame sent off, I want/need to order my new rear mech/gear cables first....

Again, I only spend what I have 'free' each month (this mont not so much as been quiet work-wise)

whats wrong with the XT mech? or is it just that its lacking an "r"
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Big Cheese

whats wrong with the XT mech? or is it just that its lacking an "r"

Nothing wrong with it excelpt its a long cage and Im ditching the front mech and shifter, going 1x9 and getting a chainguide (superstar) and a e13 guidering.

So need a short cage ;) So figured Id go for Saint 8)
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    So your not selling it anymore then??? :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bobcheese wrote:

Give it a week or two.... :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Big Cheese
    edited March 2010
    bobcheese wrote:

Noe, was talked out of it, and it made sense. Its too nice to let go for £1300 (and I wouldnt have got anymore than that, if it all)

Couldnt bare to break down a stunning bike, so making some aadjustments and shall keep it.

The thread had 90+ views and noone (unbelievably!! :shock: ) enquired apart from one goon who offered me £800 for the whole bike (I just sent a :lol: back) , I guess they would rather go for something brand new at £1300 that's not even in the same league...

Anyway, was all good as now I'll keep it.
  • The Big Cheese
    bails87 wrote:
    bobcheese wrote:

Give it a week or two.... :lol:

Nope, not this time ;)

Its just not the right time to sell, everyone is skint and they want me to sell it for £800 (yes seriously, that was the webbo offer of the day)

£2.5k bike thats virtually brand new... yeah OK mate, you got a deal.... the forks alone could fetch £400 :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You can sell it at the end of March, thats when most people get their annual bonuses.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    £210 all in which to me (on a 2.5k bike) is worth it?

That's a lot of coin fella, but if it's done to anything like the standard of your Marin, I look forward to the photos :D