Had my first "road rage moment"

BigSte27
BigSte27 Posts: 25
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Well been commuting the 34 mile round trip to work for about 10months and today was my first "real moment".

Approaching a roundabout, i indicate right using my arm. White van pulls alongside me at entrance to roundabout not indicating so i assume hes going straight on. As the traffic from our right disperses we both set off round the roundabout....before i know it said white van has passed the straight on and is now turning right parallel to me but isnt indicating. I immediately take avoiding action (i made the assumption he hadnt seen me for whatever reason, wasnt indicating etc). As we both exited the rooundabout, i was a few feet behind the van at which point i said...

"an indicator wouldnt effing kill you c*** " (now i understand my language may seem a bit harsh but the adrenaline was pumping etc.

Next thing i know, said van has stopped. I pull up behind and hear a clunk of a door...then the driver appears and says "you talking to me mate?"....i reply with "yes" and repeat my previous statement.

"But i gave you lots of room mate...."
"yes you did and i appreciate that, however you also failed to indicate...me being flesh and bones, i had to make the assumption that you hadnt seen me and were about to squash me. I havent developed telepathy abilities yet, not to mention the other road users would surely have liked for you to signal your intentions!"

At this point he was quite taken aback, apologised, shook my hand and left!

Im pretty sure he was ready to "give me some" when he got out of his van (afterall what kind of person gets out of there car on a busy road to have a "convo" with a cyclist?), then when he got to the rear and saw a 6ft 5", 20 stone gorilla looking a bit annoyed, i think he had no choice but to calm it!

Had my work colleagues in stiches when i told them! :twisted:

Comments

• Nice one! Maybe he'll investigate that funny thing on a stalk next to the steering wheel next time. We can only hope.... :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Oh you naughty big boy!

Fancy humbling a white van man :lol:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigSte27 wrote:
    and saw a 6ft 5", 20 stone gorilla looking a bit annoyed, i think he had no choice but to calm it!

Yep, I think this clinched it for him.

:lol: Classic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Reminds me of that Dara O'Briain routine about getting beeped at as a learner driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIzoLkStDM
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I can't bring my self to have a go at somebody for not indicating because I rarely do it myself.

I mean I do it as much as possible, but sometimes it's just not safe to do on a bike.
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    rjsterry wrote:
    Reminds me of that Dara O'Briain routine about getting beeped at as a learner driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIzoLkStDM

omg - comedy gold!
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    I had a minor "indicator rage" moment this morning with the "operator" of a double decker bus (I refuse to accept this person has the ability to actually "drive" the aforementioned vehicle).

I approach from the rear, I see the bus brake lights come on and I’m thinking the road is clear ahead so what’s he doing, and unbelievably he begins to make a left turn without so much of a flicker of his indicators.

Now normally I wouldn't shout indicator-use related obscenities at the top of my voice in the street (it shocked a few peds!), but I felt this guy needed to be told how helpful ti can be for peds and other road-users if he signals his intentions of where he’s going in the 7 ton red machine he’s sitting in.
    :evil:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)