Cargo Trailers

bbug
bbug Posts: 83
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Before it's too late, (I'm 61) I'm planning an MTB ('08 Rockhopper Disk) adventure, maybe this summer. I'm thinking cycle/camping for a few days. Don't know where yet. Coast to Coast? I sense another post coming up in the Routes forum.

I need something to carry my stuff and like the looks of the single-wheel trailers. I don't want to spend lots. BOBs are too dear for me. I'm wondering if the BOB lookalikes that someone is selling on ebay are any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cargo-Trailer-Bic ... 35a7e7c154

I guess there must have been some corners cut to get the price down to where it is. The wheels look like kids bike wheels, with butter bearings. Has anybody tried/used one?

Thanks in anticipation

Lu

Comments

• i ordered one from the same seller a few days ago. as far as i can tell the trailer its self is exactly the same as this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f_pg=site_sizing/revolution-cargo-trailer.htm, which has gotten some very good reviews. its only the bag that's different i think. it hasn;t arrived yet so i can't comment any further, but i'm planning on using it for a LEJOG ride in june so i hope it holds up ok. once its arrived and i've had the chance to use it i'll report back and let everyone know how it is.
  • bbug
    Thanks for the reply. I read the reviews with interest and on the strength of them have bitten the bullet and ordered one. I figure it's not a lot of money to take a chance and don't want to delay too long 'cos they'll have all gone if I do.

Thanks again.
  • Hey Guys.

Could you let me know what this trailer's like? I'm also thinking of getting one.
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!
  • bbug
    Hey Guys.

Could you let me know what this trailer's like? I'm also thinking of getting one.

Well I have to say it looks OK. I've had it a while now, but the only thing I've carried in it is my 4 yr old grandson. (helmet on and strapped in, before anyone gets on the safety issue). I guess he weight around 20 kg and while riding, I didn't know there was a trailer behind. This has got to be better than panniers for load carrying, with the centre of gravity so low, streets ahead of a child seat fitted behind the saddle. It does rattle rather a lot when empty, but with a load in it doesn't. (hardly at all)

The trailer itself seems robust enough for the expeditions I'm planning to do, ie. one or two longish distance cycle camping trips. The bag that comes with it may not be waterproof enough for all weather use, but I bought a dry-bag for a tenner to go inside it.

Over all I'm pleased with it even though I had to spend the extra tenner. It may even be used for bringing home the shopping if I get too skint to buy petrol when I retire. :wink:

Hope this helps

Lu
  • i ordered one from the same seller a few days ago. as far as i can tell the trailer its self is exactly the same as this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f_pg=site_sizing/revolution-cargo-trailer.htm, which has gotten some very good reviews. its only the bag that's different i think. it hasn;t arrived yet so i can't comment any further, but i'm planning on using it for a LEJOG ride in june so i hope it holds up ok. once its arrived and i've had the chance to use it i'll report back and let everyone know how it is.

Anymore opinions on these as i am about to press the button and get one for my MTB to help carry the weekly shop home and ferry the odd crate of cider about .