SCR P*ncture Pitstop Thread

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So how quickly can you get going again when ITB's favourite fairy strikes?

Valve......F/R.........QR?.........Repair Location........Method.....Pump.........Time

Presta.....Rear.......QR.......At home with a beer......New tube.....Track.....32 mins (approx)

Slow I know, but in my defence it was only my second puncture in 2 years. Hopefully I won't be getting much practice in.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Presta.....Rear.......QR.......at thre roadside under street lights......New tube.....crappy blackburn minipump....25 mins (approx)

scalp!
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    ITB will take over this thread soon, he must be challenging ferrari for pitstop times :roll:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    As I'm bored, I decided to set myself a benchmark under ideal conditions. Didn't actually have a p*ncture, so just whipped the tyre off. Still did a check of the tyre though.

Valve......F/R.........QR?.........Repair Location........Method.....Pump.........Time

Presta.....Rear.......QR...........Garage.....................New tube.....Track.....5:22
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wha...? Under 6 minutes? My god man.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    my God man - changing a tube just for the hell of it? You're as mad as a badger. What else do you do when your bored - change your fillings with your power drill?

And 5 flippin' minutes...

J
  • tailwindhome
    *Desperately resisting temptation to cut and paste posts into intended table format*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Looks like I'm going to get a chance to beat that time

Rear tyre is flat as a pancake again
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Went down to the carpark to get my bike this afternoon and the rear was flat - flippin nail stuck in it. Whipped off the innertube, started to pump the spare but the pump had packed in. Truflo pumps are crap! Only the second time I'd had to use it. Fortunately, I knew someone in the building who I thought might have a pump and he did. Took me half an hour of faffing with the old pump and finding the colleagues before I got going again.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This is from 'stopping' to chucking the tube in my bag and pump back on the frame ready to ride off again. Would have been quicker but the Crank Bros tyre lever was a little stiff. Using a track pump is cheating IMHO as you don't have one with you at the roadside, do you?

Presta.....Front.......QR...........Kitchen.....................New tube.....Mini.......4.59
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Wha...? Under 6 minutes? My god man.

whats the time to take? flip the QR, pop the tire off, run your hand around the tire, give the new tube touch of air, pop the tube in, and pop the tire on the rim. pump up tire, and then back on bike.

at home with coffee and track pump under 5 mins for the MTB easy and not far off for the hybrid.

the roadie FR is equally easy though the rear, needing the frame sprung open can take a bit of huffing and cursing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    erm if you dont count the finding the hole and pumping the tyre back up about 2 mins, sometimes quicker, sometimes I just sit around enjoying the view and fiddle with my phone :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    anyone tried a C02 cartridge?...half the time am sure :-)
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I've had plenty of practice at this recently so getting much better, it normally takes me about 15 minutes by the side of the road but thats with lots of faffing and swearing, I reckon at home in the warmth and with a track pump I could get close to 5 minutes.

However I'm not about to change a tube for the sake of it!!! :shock:
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • tailwindhome

Presta.....Rear.......QR.......At home with a beer......New tube.....Track.....32 mins (approx)
    Presta.....Rear.......QR.......At home with coffee......New tube.....Track.....12m17s

New PB - get in there!

Anyone able to recommend a source of cheap but good quality inner tubes.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    ........Valve......F/R.........QR?.........Repair Location....................Method.........Pump.........Time

MTB.Presta.....Rear.......QR.......Side of a hill in rain at Afan......New tube.....minipump.....8 mins

Completely blew the tyre out on a large rock at about 25mph, scared the beejesus out of me! These things only seem to happen when the heavens open!!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Does this count?

........Valve......F/R.........QR?.........Repair Location....................Method.........Pump.........Time
    .......Schrader....Rear.......QR.......Red Route Thetford................Tubeless........n/a...........Instant!

Wooha! :lol: We have a winner......

......I'll get me coat :roll:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:

Presta.....Front.......QR...........Kitchen.....................New tube.....Mini.......4.59

Came nowhere near that time today, could have measured the time taken with an egg timer. Coming through the tunnel on the Strawberry Line and I get ambushed by the PF, she must have been lurking in the darkness as I couldn't see sod all with my sunglasses on :oops: Have realised I should have used the 42mm Vittoria tubes and not the standard Specializeds on my Halo wheel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tailwindhome
    *bump

Since punctures and boredom seem to be in vogue
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725

Presta.....Front.......QR...........Canal towpath.........2xpatches.....Mini.......~10mins

Patched a through and through hole (screw through type and both sides of the tube) as I'd used up my last spare tube the day before when the valve separated from the tube. :evil:

Mike
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    whyamihere wrote:
    As I'm bored, I decided to set myself a benchmark under ideal conditions. Didn't actually have a p*ncture, so just whipped the tyre off. Still did a check of the tyre though.

Presta.....Rear.......QR...........Garage.....................New tube.....Track.....5:22

:lol:

You need a hobby
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    No idea how long it took me today - reasonably quick - but it would have been much quicker if my bloody Leyzne pump adaptor tube hadn't unscrewed the Presta valve from the stem as I undid it! How do you stop that happening - short of Loc-Titing the valve in?

Then, as if planned, the bloody pump jumped from my bag and into my derailleur (fortunately not when I was doing 30mph down the Kessock bridge). What I then realised was the adaptor tube was missing so spent lunchtime pedalling at 3mph whilst scouring the 2 miles from the point I got the puncture to where the pump fell out - of course it was only about 100m from the puncture point I found it.

Bought a different pump on the way back to the office....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    jimmypippa wrote:
    What is QR?

Can only assume it's Quick Release

Presta, Rear, Yes, Garage, New tube, Track, about 15.

Why isn't this CSV yet then?! Quite happy to oblige....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Quick release
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    No idea but it's quick on the roadie with Co2 and slow on the SS as it always takes me ages to get the chain tension right again...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    snellgrove wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    What is QR?

Can only assume it's Quick Release

Presta, Rear, Yes, Garage, New tube, Track, about 15.

Why isn't this CSV yet then?! Quite happy to oblige....

That makes sense, cheers