Etape Caledonia

So what can I expect... Im doing miniimal training I can bang out 50 miles without too much discomfort and Im doing 20 miles each way commute...should I have the fear about the etape caledonia?

I figure theres safety in numbers and only one "hill " of real note... is this the case or am I in for a beating?

Also it looks like I have to use tubs for the event - given last years exploits Im not sure this is a good idea - will mavic sort me if I get a puncture?

Also anyone know of accomodation left in/near pitlochry?

Comments

• BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    You'll be fine on the distance as long as you spend a bit of time working out your eating/drinking. You're right that there's only one hill and it's not that tough if you're doing 40 miles a day 5 days a week.

Might be worth a quick 70 or 80 mile ride if you want piece of mind and to work out the energy intake.

I'd not rely on Mavic, they do run back and forward but the roads are narrow in places and they only have the one car (that I saw) for 5,000 plus cyclists. For me I'd never risk tubs in an event like this.

On accomodation, there's plenty around and you can go as far south as Perth and still not have that early a start, it's no more the 30 mins from there at that time of the morning.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If you want to cruise nice'n'easy, it's a doddle. I've done it twice and tried to push it as hard as I could both times, that hurt a bit but then it would wouldn't it? There are a lot of undulating small ups and downs, a bit of a vicious little hill at about mile 78, most people seem to think that the quoted 1950m of climbing is a bit exaggerated, but if you use software like Memory Map you'll get something like that.

The Mavic car didn't stand much chance last year! I wouldn't rely on it, I think it's really just there to make us feel like we're all pros and so justify the entry fee :wink:

Accommodation might be a bit tight in the immediate vicinity of Pitlochry but BigG is right, Perth is no distance away and there's heaps round there.

Perhaps you could track down some of the moaning proprietors who claim that the Etape C scares away all their business that weekend!
  • I thought I migth get away with tubs with some Stans sealant in them ?!
  • bompington
    The first year I did it, I decided, in my noob wisdom, that I could probably get away without spares - I had run my tyres for a few hundred miles without punctures, I figured it should be OK; so I took nothing, not even a pump & patch. No punctures, everything went fine. Last year I decided this was a bit dicey & took a spare tube plus repair kit, and as it turned out....
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Why would you risk using tubs? Do you not have any clinchers? What do you commute on? It's not a race.
  • bompington
    blorg wrote:
    It's not a race.
    can-of-worms.jpg
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Haha, right. I have started using tubs just this season myself racing (and am still scared of a puncture) but don't understand why someone would risk it in a sportive. OP says he "has to" which is a bit strange, surely everyone with tubs has at least one set of clinchers as well?
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Anyhoo, getting back to the original question. I've never done the whole route on a bike, but I was born in the area and now live in Edinburgh. So a couple of weeks ago I went and did the loop from Pitlochry up to Tummel and then over Schiehallion and back past Aberfeldy. I know all the roads really well but as I had only cycled the loop round Loch Rannoch before I thought it would be a good idea to familiarise myself a bit. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the climb up to Queen's view might be a bit of a pain but it was OK. The climb up Schiehallion (while not the exact route) was not as bad a many I have done (the decent down to Coshieville which is on the route, was a blast!!!). The stretch down Strathtay is a little bit dull in comparison to the rest (maybe that's just me, I'm a bit biased towards Rannoch). But as a few have said when you turn off the main road at Logierait be ready for a steep wee climb, definately a low gear before you hit the corner and then for a couple of hundred metres. There are two more short sharp shocks on that road and I suppose after 75 miles they may be a bit more of a drag than after the 40 I did. I'm pretty confident now that I should have no problem getting inside 5 1/2 hrs, might even get inside 5. So if your less than 46yrs old, haven't suffered broken legs in a motorbike accident in the past , not undergone surgery on your knee 10 days ago and are cycling about 100 miles a week in training you should finish in front of me :-(
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • I have to ride tubs because my clinchers are shagged and Im trying to get them replaced but have been told not to expect a pair any time soon if at all, whihc means saving for a new pair..... which isnt going to happen in time
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    I rode the route last weekend. As a gauge of my level, I'm a relativly fit novice (18 months of cycling) and it's the longest ride I'd done to date (by 20 miles). Was really shattered by the end, but the pace was a little faster in the group small group I rode with than I'm comfortable with - ended up with a 16mph average.

First thing I'd say is that the route is STUNNING, particularly the first 2/3rds. As you're charging along pan flat roads beside the Lochs you'll have a HUGE grin on your face.

The first part is a tad lumpy (but no more than that) but you'll then get a long rest before you start the return leg.

We then had a bit of a headwind in the stretch before Schiehallion, which slowed us down a tad, and tired the legs out a bit before the climb. Schiehallion itself is a slog, no doubt, but once you're over the first sharp bit you're just in for gritted teeth and and a fair bit of groaning when you turn a corner to see the climb continues. However it's not a killer.

The descent afterwards was a blast, and a huge reward.

The latter part of the ride pales into insignificance compared to the first 2/3rds. There's a signpost off to a place called 'Dull', which raised a smile, but it's all relative.

Yes, there's a sharp ramp near the end - you'll reach the top and cheer, before realising there are a few more short 8%-12% bumps that you'll feel, before it's downhill all the way.

You'll have a blast.
  • thecrofter
    Here is a picture of the view down Loch Rannoch, snapped at about 08.30 on Saturday past (10th April). http://www.uploadgeek.com/share-8CB0_4BC59AFA.html
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    That is a stunning photo! Hope you don't mind me sharing it with my buddies heading up in May?
  • bompington
    thecrofter wrote:
    Here is a picture of the view down Loch Rannoch, snapped at about 08.30 on Saturday past (10th April). http://www.uploadgeek.com/share-8CB0_4BC59AFA.html
    Great pic, be careful looking over your shoulder to see that view when sharing the road with 3000 other riders though!
    Which suggests the obvious point that (like other places TBF) Perthshire is a stunning place to ride, on any route, in any direction. I think the Etape C is a great event but it's not the only way to see the countryside!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bompington wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    Great pic, be careful looking over your shoulder to see that view when sharing the road with 3000 other riders though!
    Which suggests the obvious point that (like other places TBF) Perthshire is a stunning place to ride, on any route, in any direction. I think the Etape C is a great event but it's not the only way to see the countryside!

2 runs.
    One to enjoy the event. One to enjoy the scenery. :P

Worked for me. Now, if only I can get the same weather on the day.........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thecrofter
    Coyote wrote:
    That is a stunning photo! Hope you don't mind me sharing it with my buddies heading up in May?
    Thanks for asking, I am quite pleased with the way that that photo came out. :D
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    thecrofter wrote:

wow! didn't look like that last year - either pre or post tacks :)

hoping to get round uninterrupted this year & I see we have our own polis now
  • Fionnghal
    Fionnghal Posts: 14
    I'm riding in this event for the first time ever and additionally am going to be up on my own. As a relative newcomer to cycling in general never mind the event itself, I'd welcome some company for all or even part of the course. So if anyone else out there is riding it for the first time at a more "leisurely" pace, or even just treating it like the fun event sportives are meant to be, drop me a PM or answer on here and we can discuss me tagging alongside you. My aim is simply to get round the course this year. I'll work on record-breaking some time in the future. Maybe! It's sure gotta be better than going round Millport eight times!
    I'm fifty, ffs! I'm going as fast as I can!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I would wait on getting a start time before arranging to go round with people as that could change plans made beforehand.

Does anyone know when we will be given our start times?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bompington
    daviesee wrote:
    I would wait on getting a start time before arranging to go round with people as that could change plans made beforehand.

Does anyone know when we will be given our start times?
    Mine was emailed 16th April last year, & I've just realised that the organisers don't have a current email address for me this year! Better fix that...
  • Fionnghal
    Thanks Daviesee - it's a fair point you make.

So, next question as I've never done this before: on what basis are start times allocated? I was just assuming they'd put the faster riders off first as that's what I've encountered at the (few) other events I've entered. I would therefore expect to be fairly far down the start times myself. What I can't remember is being asked for any sort of predicted time or other. Wonder if entering thru Team Macmillan route was a different form. Mebbe better try callig the organisers.
  • bompington
    Allocated roughly on estimated time, this is in the normal application form, combined with order of entry (enter later, start later).
    A lot of people seem to get somewhat random times though.

As for calling the organisers, good luck, getting any communication out of them has not always been easy in the past.
  • Fionnghal
    Just read the Event brochure and it states that the start times will be allocated in the week prior to the event and will be posted on the website as well.
    http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/images/PDFs/Etape-Caledonia-Event-Information-2010.pdf
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    My special tactic for the Etape Caledonia is to keep my bike
    in top condition by not riding at all thus far this year. It's going to be interesting...
  • I don't think start times were allocated randomly last year.
    I think it was based on your expected time but the bands were so broad (e.g. 4:30-5:30) there were a large number in each group which were then divided alphabetically. I'm not sure they actually took any notice of the times other than for the first group or two of "elite" riders.
    Also, if you took your time replying to the email asking for your estimated time (like my mate) you ended up in one of the last groups despite being first alphabetically. This meant he gained 30 minutes on me during the wait.
    I also believe that you can alter your start time if you ask when registering, at least someone registering at the same time as me was trying to do this to ride with a friend/family member. I wasn't nosy enough to find out if he succeeded.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • thecrofter
    Alain Quay wrote:
    My special tactic for the Etape Caledonia is to keep my bike
    in top condition by not riding at all thus far this year. It's going to be interesting...

When I was up at Rannoch a couple of weeks ago I saw some poor sod looking red faced and struggling along the side of Strath Tummel (only 12 miles in). Was this you and can I claim my fiver :lol:
  • Fionnghal, this is my first bike ride so you'll probably see me at the coos tail. My goal is to finish it and live to tell the tale. PB's can be destroyed next year!
    53 & counting
  • Fionnghal
    Hah hah! My thoughts exactly.

See you there. Drop me a PM so I know how to get in contact with you - plus I have now got another couple of people lined up for whatever the opposite of pole position is.

Cheers

Fiona
  • neilmacd
    neilmacd Posts: 128
    Fionnghal wrote:
    I'm riding in this event for the first time ever and additionally am going to be up on my own. As a relative newcomer to cycling in general never mind the event itself, I'd welcome some company for all or even part of the course. So if anyone else out there is riding it for the first time at a more "leisurely" pace, or even just treating it like the fun event sportives are meant to be, drop me a PM or answer on here and we can discuss me tagging alongside you. My aim is simply to get round the course this year. I'll work on record-breaking some time in the future. Maybe! It's sure gotta be better than going round Millport eight times!

I'm riding it for the first time and on my tod too, don't reckon my pace will be anywhere near full race speed. Just want to get round the course without killing myself so I'm reckon a nice steady effort rather than going eyeballs out from the start

If you're anywhere near Johnstone there's a bunch goes out for short (30miles or so), easy paced runs on a Sunday at 9 from the Johnstone Wheeleres clubrooms in Miller street. Handy for getting used to riding in a bunch.
    More details here -
    http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
    Scott CR1 Team
    Bitsa training bike. Bitsa this Bitsa that.......
    I'd rather quit than buy from Halfords
  • Hi All
    Anyone from the south west going up able to give me a lift as my buddies are both injured and cant make it ?
    Cheers
    Rick
  • paul1007
    paul1007 Posts: 6
    Start times are up on the web