Dumfries Bikefest Sportive

BlueScot
BlueScot Posts: 68
Does anyone know anything about this sportive as part
of the Dumfries Bikefest at the end of May?
http://www.wallacehillevents.info/Dumfr ... _index.htm

I think it might be new this year (maybe a replacement for another event?)
But I can't find much more info about it on the web, other than the
Bikefest's own website.

Comments

• DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    This is causing quite an upsett with the local club in dumfries. Dumfries CC organised the first Solway sportive in 2009 and are running the same event in 2010 on May 16th.

Wallacehill cc have parachuted into the region with some big high profile elite road races which we in Dumfries are pleased about). As part of the end of May races they have included a sportive. DCC expressed reservations about this at an early stage but where ignored. At least we thought the new event would be a different course, so we gave way on the date and programmed ours for May 16th.We have just discovered that Wallacehill have copied our routes vitually yard for yard. :evil:

So it turns out the "new" event is an exact copy of an established event running just 2 weeks earlier. I think this is thwe only instance where a new organiser has come in and "stolen" an existing sportive event and we consifder it very bad practice.

The Dumfries event already has close to 100 entries and if your not doing the etape caledonia, will probably be the best choice, you can enter on www.entrycentral.com . On the other hand, the end of May could make a good weekend with the Dumfries crit on friday night and a premier calender road race on Sunday, but unless something drastic happens with the publicity the sportive could be a flop.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • BlueScot
    Thanks for the insight. It does seem poor form to organise a second ride on the same route so quickly after the Solway run. I'm surprised the local authorities allowed it.

We're already signed up for the Etape, so we'll have to give the Solway Sportive a miss. Also, we're already booked up to stay in Moffat that weekend at the end of May. (Part of our training for a JOGLE.) Perhaps we'll give the town of Dumfries a miss and head out on our own. Can you recommend any good, long rides in the area? Maybe we'll trace the route of the Selkirk Sportive.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    The sportive mix up is just a wee blip,Wallacehill are doing a great job with the races and Dumfries will still be worth visiting that weekend, The crit is part of the elite uk crit series and will have all the top uk pros riding, it's a tight town centre circuit which will be quite a spectacle. And you can enjoy a pint in Robbie Burns' old local. (PM me and I'll give you a guided tour).

For a ride from Moffat, head out of town up the Beeftub on the A701 Edinburgh Road, after decending the other side turn right at Talla and go by the Talla and Meggat resevoirs (this stretch of road is about my favourite in the whole south of Scotland) . When you join the Selkirk road it depends how far you want to go, turn right back to M offat is a brilliant route, but just gives you 50 miles total, turn left then right at the Gordon arms and over to Eskdalemuir, stop at the cafe at the Buddists monestry then on to the right turn to Borland, just after Borland take the right baqck to Moffat.On Sunday you might like to either ride to Dumfies (via Templand and back roads rather than A701) or drive there, then ride out somewhere to see the big race

Don't miss the Bethany sportive from Bonnyrigg in June, see entrycentral
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Dave you "forgot" to mention the Tall Linn is a 1 in 5 for 1 Km :lol:
    I would agree though it is an awesome route.
    To extend, instead of going to the Tall a continue on A701 to Broughton take a right to Peebles then follow the Peebles sportive in the opposite direction (suppose your doing that from starting off in mOffat) then back to Moffat must be around 90 miles.
    http://www.peeblescycling.org/index.php ... &Itemid=45
    You want 90 mile option for what i mentioned
    Peter
  • BlueScot
    Thanks for the local info guys, much appreciated. However, now I can't let my partner read this thread in case she reads the comment about the 20% gradient :D
    She's already stressing about going over the Kirkstone pass in the Lake District this summer after David Walliams fell off his bike going up it!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    BlueScot wrote:
    She's already stressing about going over the Kirkstone pass in the Lake District this summer after David Walliams fell off his bike going up it!

Having 'attempted' to cycle up it i can see why* - I'm not sure which way the sport relief team went up - but *blimey* the way we went defeated me... (even the walk was quite pretty though with views back down over windermere)

*and yes of course it was the boys idea