An obervation on pootllng....

W1
W1 Posts: 2,636
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Had a professional pootle this morning - lost my bike computer and have been off the bike for 5 days so thought I'd give myself an easy re-launch. Such a great day too!

Does anyone else find that the traffic lights are more in your favour when pootling then when "on it"? I think my commute today took exactly the same time as when I'm SCR-ing a lung up - just lucky on the lights!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Yup, once I hit the city I've started to learn the sequences and when to pootle, its not as much fun though..
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Try commuting fixed, you soon learn when yo go balls out to the lights and when to ease off in order to catch the lights.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I didn't pootle as such this morning, but I actually backed out of SCR action between a Wilier and a TCR. I must have had a reasonable run on the lights because I turned off ahead of the Wilier, so they didn't get very far ahead for the effort being put in.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    W1 wrote:
    Had a professional pootle this morning - lost my bike computer and have been off the bike for 5 days so thought I'd give myself an easy re-launch. Such a great day too!

Does anyone else find that the traffic lights are more in your favour when pootling then when "on it"? I think my commute today took exactly the same time as when I'm SCR-ing a lung up - just lucky on the lights!
    After a couple of days training I pootled this morning. Set off a bit late so, due to the lack of in-for-9 peds at crossings, was actually quicker than yesterday. I think I (legally) get through more lights when I'm "on it" but I care much less about hitting reds when I'm pootling...

It is a lovely day :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    +1 Very dispiriting when you flog yourself for an hour, only to find that you've shaved maybe a minute off your pootle-commute time. The amount of traffic/number of lights you get caught at seem to make the biggest difference rather than your cruising speed.

When I used to go in from Putney to Old Street via Hyde Park Corner (still can't work out why I went that way for so long and didn't try the Embankment) I counted about 75 sets of traffic lights on the route. Assuming you stop at say 1 in 4 sets and wait for 1 minute at each of those, that's nearly 19 minutes stationary for a 10 mile journey!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Asprilla wrote:
    Try commuting fixed, you soon learn when yo go balls out to the lights and when to ease off in order to catch the lights.

Yeah those fixie riders.... Super Hard or what?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:

I just meant that riding fixed occasionally has given me a new appreciation of when it's better to pootle between sets of lights and when it's better to charge.

On my road bike everything is a sprint because it's enjoyable and easy, but when I ride fixed it's more about maintaining a constant pace.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What's pootling?!! Had the satisfaction of blasting past a roadie on a downhill this morning. Have been trying to pootle a bit to look after the knees this week. More spinny than grindy....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Without the bike computer the stats won't count and suddenly it doesn't matter what my average is, what my time is, what my speed is. It's quite liberating!

It helped of course that there weren't many potential "victims" today, and that it was sunny, warm, not windy and I'd had my first decent break off the bike since the new year. Really enjoyable, might pootle home too!
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Rolf F wrote:
    What's pootling?!! Had the satisfaction of blasting past a roadie on a downhill this morning. Have been trying to pootle a bit to look after the knees this week. More spinny than grindy....

I think a pootle is the inner city version of the bimble. Here at the seaside we bimble, but it sounds like the same thing!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I never pootle. My body does though unfortunately ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

When you can't freewheel there's more rub in that area... we can't help it :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)