Cornwall - Audax Kernow

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
Hi all,

This will be my first year with a road bike so I'm going to try and enter as many audaxs in Cornwall as possible - Just wondering if anyone else from Cornwall is on here and will be entering any?

Just signed up for the New Forest wiggle super series Epic event, cant wait!!

Comments

• flashman469
    flashman469 Posts: 102
    Hi Cornish,
    I live in Newlyn and am a member of Audax UK. I will be doing a few local events starting with a 300k on April 2nd starting from Penzance which is organised by one of our club mates.
    Whereabouts are you located? There are plenty of good audaxes all over Cornwall.
    Cheers
    Nick
  • Cornish-J
    Hi Nick,

I'm at lostwithiel - i saw that event but that one was a little hardcore for me!! I've signed up for the 'bunny hop' which is the shorter of the two rides on the 11th, didnt enter the 100k as i didnt want to over do it before the new forest ride on the 18th.

Are you doing that one? i guess you'd go for the 100k if you are?

Cheers
    J
  • flashman469
    flashman469 Posts: 102
    Not doing it this year J. Have done the 100k a couple of times in the past. A great spread in the cricket club to look forward to on completion. Will perhaps run into you on other events through the year.
    Good luck with the New Forest, looks like an interesting ride.
  • Cornish-J
    I'm sure we've probably crossed each other before, if you can remember anyone doing a few audaxs last year on a focus mountain bike .... that was me :D

I also did the christmas audax - 'ed's mince pie' or something like that....that was the most unenjoyable ride i've ever done! Weather was absolutely terrible, that put me off riding for at least a month lol.

Let me know if you're participating in any as it would be nice to know someone else there, havent seen anyone around my age doing the audax's :(
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208

Cornish-J wrote:
    Hi all,

This will be my first year with a road bike so I'm going to try and enter as many audaxs in Cornwall as possible - Just wondering if anyone else from Cornwall is on here and will be entering any?

Just signed up for the New Forest wiggle super series Epic event, cant wait!!

There are plenty of rides in Cornwall and you double the rides available if you include Devon.

These include three knee-trembler 200K rides in the area with 4000m or more of climbing. My Two Moors Challenge from Launceston (see below), the Valley of the Rocks from Honiton and Capt. Nicks Memorial ride from St Agnes which has a massive 4500m of climbing.

Then there's the Exeter Mad March 200K (at the beginning of this month), Dartmoor Devil, Carnon Downs, the 200K Torplex (from Newton Abbot), a 200K from Penzance and probably more that I missed.

I organise audax/CTC rides from Launceston on the 13th June. They're on the audax web site, Audax Kernow and also my cycling events page at: http://www.wilkinet.demon.co.uk/Cycling ... 10-06.html.

There are 3 rides...

- a 105K hilly ride over Bodmin moor including Bishops Wood hill south of Bodmin - a real stinker,

- a 162K (i.e. 100 mile) ride that goes over Dartmoor to Exeter then returns via Okehampton and Holsworthy. Its got a lot of climbing since it goes over Dartmoor, but it's on fast roads with (almost) no narrow lanes and...

- the 2 Moors challenge which adds a loop around Dartmoot to the Bodmin route making up a 210K ride with 4000m of climbing.

So you have plenty of choices in the area :))