OS Map and plotting repeat ? no doubt.

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited March 2010 in MTB general
First off sorry as must be a repeat question although I can't find soloution in search.

I already have an os map of the area I ride, I take this with me on rides and will pull it out if I have a problem. I have 6x4 print outs that I put it my pocket and use these for my route BUT I wondered what system could I use to plot the route prior on my computer and find the total distance to be travelled. Any advice?

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    there are various internet ones- bikehike is the first the springs to mind. I use tracklogs, which is 'pay money' software, but I reckon it's worth it for the amount of mapping you get and I prefer the interface. there's also memory map and quite possibly a few others
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    www.ridewithgps.com

Its my favourite, lets you overlay onto a map or satalite image, gives you all the stats you need, milage, altitude gained etc etc

and its free!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    there's no OS on there though, or can I not find it?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i use bikely
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    +1 for Bikehike.co.uk - OS mapping included.
  • TowerRider
    Cheers guys, sure I have been to two of those sites before and not seen an os map to plot against.
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

OS mapping alongside google earth imaging and other map formats, or just single OS map etc. Can plot routes and export them to GPS devices etc.

I've not used the plotting and exporting properly so can't help with any questions/how to's but usefull for finding trails and looking at satellite imagery to look at the actual terrain etc rather than guesswork!
  • TowerRider
    mikeage wrote:
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

OS mapping alongside google earth imaging and other map formats, or just single OS map etc. Can plot routes and export them to GPS devices etc.

I've not used the plotting and exporting properly so can't help with any questions/how to's but usefull for finding trails and looking at satellite imagery to look at the actual terrain etc rather than guesswork!

(thank you everyone)

This is the one I had seen before but couldn't plot a route. Spent a few mins and worked it out. I think it is perfect for me at the moment!
    I have plotted a route (should I plot a node whenever the track changes direction i.e. keep the line on the path? That is what I have done but obviously it takes a lot of time BUT I suppose the data is correct.
    When I came to print the route I was mighty impressed with the sectional printout screens.

Export of route is great as I have just imported the same route to change slightly - might have a look at the others mentioned above.

I am just looking at bikehike and it seems to do the job along with OSMcycle maps.
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    Bikeroute toaster is a favourite of mine, it gives you a 'cycleview' showing recognised cyclepaths and it can be integrated with google earth with a 3d view of the terrain and even a 'fly thru' like a flight simulator. the mapping etc; is a doddle to use and 'cycle' freindly.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • TowerRider
    I'm still messing around and seeing as Wheres the path has reached its OS fetch tiles for the day I thought I would have a look at Google earth 3D. Never used it and after loading a 3D plugin I am blown away. It reminds me of when they brought the Doomsday book into school on some state of the art BBC? computer.