Tyres

Iceman69
Iceman69 Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all, I need some advice on tyres. I need a dual purpose tyre suitable for commuting and gravel trails. cheers

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Road, mtb or cyclo-cross bike?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Iceman69
    Hi, thanks for the reply, Mtb
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm not up on my mtb tyres, I'm afraid, but semi-slicks (slick in the centre, nobbly tread on the sides) might do the job.

Oh, and welcome. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    halo twinrails work for me
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    continental gator skins might be good for those purposes, haven't had a single puncture in months of using those on my commuter.

going off-topic, but does anyone else find english roads very hard on tyres? i have more punctures here than in belgium, france and holland, the other countries i've ridden a lot in.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I use scwable city jets for my mtb commuter and on the road i can get a good speed going , not sure how they would be on gravel though
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    I swapped my mtb tyres for Schwalbe Landcruisers and never looked back. At the right pressure you ride on the centre ridge of the tyre for tarmac but they have all the tread either side for the off road stuff. I have just replaced a set on the mtb because they have been so good and they are puncture resistant.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Gravel though is evil IMHO.

Just about every visit from the p**** fairy has been caused by a bit of gravel /flint that has got stuck to the tyre and then over the course of a few days on the road worked its way through the layers of kevlar, puncture resistant stuff to delivery it's deadly payload on the tube!

Nothing defeats it, not even the might of Swalbe Marathon Plus!

YMMV - Rufus.
  • Iceman69
    Thanks to everyone for all your advice. Checked out the Landcruisers and they look like they could fit the bill