Cycling/beach holiday

cycle monster
cycle monster Posts: 448
Here is a tricky one. Two adults plus boys aged 8 and4 need holiday in Europe with cycling and beach options. There are loads of one or the other but something that caters for both needs seem somewhat elusive. Ideally want to be able to wake up and choose cycling/swimming depending on weather/mood without rigid cycling holiday timescales etc. any clues?

Comments

• CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Hi

You could always give Lanzarote a try, particularly Puerto Del Carmen (PDC).
    There's a really nice new cycle path that runs from the old port area (almost) by the Fariones hotel, all the way to Arrecife the capital (approx 10 miles I think). It even takes you along the coastline past the airport.
    The boys could watch the planes take off/land. The flight path passes right over the top, so you can stand there watching them come in over you. You can almost touch them.
    And once you get to Arrecife, you can visit the old fort which is in the middle of the harbour (there's access to it). Oh, and yer missus can go and do some retail therapy !

There's plenty of beaches, naturally.
    There's a bike shop in PDC, where you can hire bikes (Renner bikes - http://www.mountainbike-lanzarote.com/index_eng.html ).

And hey, if you get the chance to have a ride out on your own, you can cycle on up to the volcano, Timanfaya. It's a good run.

I think the northern resorts of Majorca are quite good as well. Supposed to be some good cycle paths, and the beaches are wonderful there.

Good luck. :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Have a look at Sunsail clubs - several options in Greece & Turkey. As well as free sailing, windsurfing, canoeing etc you get free bike use and guided tours as well as pools, private beech, kids club, gym etc.

Do as much or as little as you like - highly recommended.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • MIKE40M
    MIKE40M Posts: 6
    France is great for beech and cycling holiday.

We've been for the last 5 / 6 years.

If you go down to the southwest there are loads of bike paths and you get decent weather. Sea can be a bit on the rough side but if the kids like body boarding then you can't beat it.

Best thing about going to France is you can take your bikes on your car.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You may have already been on your holiday by now, but I've only just seen your thread.

Riccione (in the Emilia Romagne region, Italy) has bike hotels that cater for families and non-cycling partners as well as cyclists.

We go to the Belvedere hotel:
    http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/

It is right on the coast but also has pools and a pretty amazing spa. There are organised rides for different abilities (usually there are three or four different ride options each day) with the option on one day a week of meeting the folk on the sightseeing bus (for non cycling partners) at the restaurant lunch or bbq stop. On most days if you are on a guided ride you are back for the cyclists and families lunch at about 2pm, then you have the afternoons together. The little extras are the beach a 2 minute walk away, local wine with meals, free laundry for cyclist's kit (you actually only meed one lot of kit as it will be laundered and dry, ready for the next day), free recovery service in case of accident/bike problem, baked goods appearing a regular intervals throught the day if you're in the hotel, child care and childrens acitivities, the cyclist/families late lunch around the pool at about 2-3pm each day, a lunch time bbq at the owners house on one day a week, a restaurant meal lunch stop with non cycling family members one day a week, opportunity to go for olive oil, wine and local produce tasting (very good), Italian classes, cookery classes, piadine and varous bar snacks and drinks served ourside around the pool before dinner in the evening etc... its a fantastic place, the food is probably the best I've ever eaten at any hotel (home made pasta, lots of vegetables etc) and I can't reccommend it highly enough for cyclists and their families.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Hi,
    i am very interested in this Hotel or other alternatives, especially in Northern Spain.

Blonde,
    it is expensive though clearly much easier to book than to arrange independently elsewhere. were there no downsides?? and is it at all naff in the way over organised hotels can be? my partner is rather suspicious it might be one of those dreadful places where if you dont take part in everything you are ostracised!
    thanks
    bob