Tyre width for commuting with 26 inch wheels

supergunn
supergunn Posts: 59
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie to the forum.
I've stripped one of my mountain bikes to prepare it for commuting.
It's a GT arrowhead aluminium frame bought new approx 10 plus years ago
all the componentry has been upgraded since i bought it
I plan to make this a singlespeed as i only have approx 10 mile round trip all flat on smooth traffic free cycle track.
I will be fitting slick tyres but i'm confused about which width is best to use 1.5 1.75 1.85 1.9 or does it matter.
I will be choosing between these brands Continental city ride , Scwalbe city jet , Michelin city , Schwalbe marathon supreme or other suggestions from members.
If I take to this i will probably start looking for a good old roadie frame with horizontal dropouts but I want to try it out on this bike first.
The conversion cost is quite low DMR tensioner kit and pair of slik tyres.
Also maybe a stupid question but will 700 wheels fit a mountain bike frame.
I don't think so but could you confirm.

Your help and replies will be much appreciated.
Kind Regards
supergunn.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Fatter tyres are more comfortable, thinner tyres are faster. I used to run 1.5" slicks on my old MTB commuter and it was lovely, but I think 23mm road tyres are 100PSI are lovely too...

You can fit 700c wheels in a mountain bike frame. They have to be custom built, as the rear hub is a different width for road and mountain bikes. Because of the mud clearance on mountain bikes and the thinner tyres generally used on-road, it's perfectly possible. A friend has a pair of wheels like this with 35mm cyclocross tyres on that I'm borrowing for a while, they fit in my MTB perfectly.
  • supergunn
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I think I will go for inbetweenies at 1.75.
    Kind regards
    Supergunn
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Go with 1.5 tyres, the least resistance the better, 1.5's will be fine all year round, choose kevlar puncture resistant ones.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I put 1.5s on my Kona, and it worked perfectly. I think that Conti Gator Skins come in 26x1.5, and would be perfect.

Hmm. It seems not. Only 1.2. They'll be nice and quick, but might not fit on fat MTB rims.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18801
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fatness depends on road surface - my City Jets are good and fat but the road surface in places on my commute is almost off road in crapness despite being tarmac all the way. A colleague of mine has been running narrow City Jets but, having seen mine, is going fat when he replaces!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    1.5" mate, they'll be comfy enough on what your riding and will be your quickest option. The marathons are recommended.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    i run 1.5 city jets , sweet spot
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    1.5 Marathons - low rolling resistance and bulletproof*

*not literally
  • +1 for 1.5 Marathons - converted my old mountain bike to commuter by putting these on it and it works really well.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • supergunn
    Hi Guys ,
    Thanks for all the replies and advice.
    I done the single speed conversion today , I wanted to tension below the chain and tension up but the frame would not let me , However i tensioned above the chain down towards the ground pumped up the knobbly tyres and took it out for an hour and
    everything was perfect.
    I'm definitely liking this , I'm 50 and I felt like a kid again.
    I could'nt believe how light and nimble the bike felt.
    I used the middle ring and 16 cog rear that was supplied with DMR conversion kit.
    32 front 16 rear ratio.
    This will do for now but it seems I might have to change the gearing in the future once I get more used to this and my legs start going like billyo.
    Has anyone got any advice on this.
    Most of the replies regarding tyres were suggesting 1.5s and I am going to go with this.
    Will I need smaller tubes.
    The scwalbe city jets got a few mentions and funny enough they are high on my list at £20 a pair.
    Also the Michelin City with reflective side wall for £18 a pair have got great write ups
    Does anyone have any advice on them.
    I know the marathons have got great write ups but they are twice the price of the Schwalbe and Michelins
    Thanks again for your helpful advice.
    Kind Regards
    Supergunn.
  • Sleepycol
    Sleepycol Posts: 66
    You will need tubes to go with your tyres. They come with a tolorence printed on the side of the box.
    I run city jet 1.5s on one bike but Continental sport contact 1.3s on my commuter. City jet fine over distance for relative speed and comfort, Contis fine for speed getting there & back.
    Interviewer: ‘So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?’

Frank Zappa: ‘You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?”
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Specialized Fat Boy 26*1.25". Hardcore

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
    <a>road</a>
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The Pig used to run on 1.25 Michelin City. Personally I think 1.25 is a nice compromise between rolling resistance and comfort. Running my Such (700c single speed) on 32c (which 1.25" in metric) - Vittoria Randoneur Hyper, lovely.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    1.5" does it for me ;-)
    Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • 2.35" Schwalbe Super Motos fly! :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo