France on just a racer and a ruck sack?!?!

blueslim03
blueslim03 Posts: 28
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Afternoon all, this June or July i plan to cycle from the Massif central to Loire Valley in France, over a period of say 4-5 days. First time ever i've done (contemplated) anything like this. I'll be doing this on my racing road bike (cube peloton), so the only way i can carry anything is via a rucksack, so obviously i need to travel light. I'm in a very good standard of fitness and quite young, 24. I'll be carrying the majority of my maintenance gear in a saddle bag. I'm planning on either camping wild or campsite. My first thought for sleep/shelter is a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym, which combines a hammock/ basha/ mossie net, packed up it's 7inch by 10 inch and weighs 1.2kg. I'm also going to need a sleeping bag, but i can't afford too much space so i was thinking of using the AMK Heatsheet Emergency Bivvy? Will this suffice? I'm going to need to take excluding what i'll be wearing. spare shorts, spare jersey, spare pair of socks and pants. I'm going to need something warm for the evening also. Add in basic toiletries and a travel towel. In regards to food it'll be a hexy burner, and two 24hr ratpacks in reserve.

Do you think this will fit in a Deuter Superbike rucksack (18l+4) or will i need something larger. Any better suggestions to rucksack choice, sleeping arrangements?!?! Or is my entire idea lunacy?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give.

Comments

• The bigger the rucksack the less fun it will be.

I'd be tempted to stay in youth hostels/bunkhouses/B&Bs thus eliminating the need for a shelter and sleeping bag. Also, one shorts and jersey is fine. Just take anti-sceptic lube for your crack.

For eveining wear, a polo shirt a pair of converse and lightweight hiking trousers is the best you'll get.

I did 10 days unsupported Lejog this way witha 20L Karrimore aero backpack (inc. foul weather gear). My shorts cycled the last 50 miles themselves though :wink:
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Depending where you start in the Massif then you are already at the source of the Loire. Going to the Loire Valley could mean just about anything from a gentle potter to say Saumur or a longer ride to St Nazaire.

Under no circumstances whatever would I consider carrying a load like this on my back. You WILL be very uncomfortable and your backside will take a pounding from the extra weight hammering on the saddle.

Buy a decent saddlebag. A Carradice Longflap with either a Bagman support/QR or an SQR block QR will suffice for you to gain the experience and the bag will possibly be a lifetime investment.

I do have some experience of having a machine that is not best suited - in the early 70s I did a fair old touring trip in the UK on my track bike complete with sprints and tubs so I had the additional bulk of carrying spare tubs - yes I used a saddlebag.

By the way - wild camping is illegal in France. There are many campsites, the least I paid last year was 2.30 Euros which is money well spent for access to washing facilities etc.

Other than that - enjoy yourself.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    blueslim03 wrote:
    First time ever i've done (contemplated) anything like this.

so maybe start with a shorter tour in the spring to test out whether your ideas will work?
    I'll be doing this on my racing road bike (cube peloton), so the only way i can carry anything is via a rucksack, so obviously i need to travel light. I'm in a very good standard of fitness and quite young, 24. I'll be carrying the majority of my maintenance gear in a saddle bag. I'm planning on either camping wild or campsite. My first thought for sleep/shelter is a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym, which combines a hammock/ basha/ mossie net, packed up it's 7inch by 10 inch and weighs 1.2kg. I'm also going to need a sleeping bag, but i can't afford too much space so i was thinking of using the AMK Heatsheet Emergency Bivvy? Will this suffice? I'm going to need to take excluding what i'll be wearing. spare shorts, spare jersey, spare pair of socks and pants. I'm going to need something warm for the evening also. Add in basic toiletries and a travel towel. In regards to food it'll be a hexy burner, and two 24hr ratpacks in reserve.

Do you think this will fit in a Deuter Superbike rucksack (18l+4) or will i need something larger. Any better suggestions to rucksack choice, sleeping arrangements?!?! Or is my entire idea lunacy?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give.

I'm not sure which Deuter bag have, they are comfortable and perfectly usable on for all-day riding, but I don't think 18 litres will be enough.

A lot of people swear by hammocks but there do seem to be some practical issues to consider: eg getting changed in one, or what it would be like to be stuck in one on a day of heavy rain.

I have one of the heat sheets bags (or maybe othe next one up in the range). I keep it as an emergency bag and I'm not sure how well it would hold up in daily use, or whether it is really warm enough to be comfortable at altitude even in summer.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I once did a tour of the south west of England in this manner that lasted a week, and a full week of sun at that :P
    However, and it is a big but, I travelled as light as possible and stayed in B&B's.
    It is extremely do-able and enjoyable but only if you can travel light and certainly not with your bed on your back.

Re-think your sleeping arrangements and go for it!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Doing my first tour this summer on my road bike & I wouldn't consider carrying anything on my back.

I'd either go for a larger saddle bag or stay in B&B's.

Have a look at what this guy has managed to do.
    http://wheelsofchance.org/2010/02/02/ultralight-setup/

I've personally gone down the pannier route but I'm touring for 12-14 days @ 100miles a day.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    iPete wrote:
    Have a look at what this guy has managed to do.
    http://wheelsofchance.org/2010/02/02/ultralight-setup/

I've personally gone down the pannier route but I'm touring for 12-14 days @ 100miles a day.

Igor Kovse (linked from the above site) did a cycle camping trip from Vancouver to New York with a total luggage weight of 5.7kg, out of an all up bike and clothing weight of 15.8kg.

It's more weight saving than I'd like though - saving the weight of stove, pans etc by eating/drinking cold stuff, using bubble wrap for a mattress.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I did the Raid Pyrneen and cycled around Ireland with an in-Sy saddle bag and a bar bag. It is very doable for 4-5 days. Here's a picture of my setup:

th_bike.jpg

1 pair of shorts/jersey and washed them every night. Summer in France they will dry. In Ireland I brought spares.

I would echo what others have said about reconsidering the sleeping bag/hammock idea, I stayed in B&Bs for both these trips. I have carried a tent etc. on my full tourer but you really need to keep it light on a racer.

I had 3.5kg in the saddle bag and around 1kg in the bar bag. I started a previous 3 day "test" trip in Ireland with around 5kg on the back but I found I got really nasty seatpost wobble; actually ended up posting as much as possible back home after the first day.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    recent threads

touring without a pannier?posible
    and kit!touring on a roadie
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow