World Championships

JamesPeeler
JamesPeeler Posts: 5
edited March 2010 in Track
Anyone going to the worlds in Copenhagen at the end of the month?

I've manged to combine a work trip with the competition so will be there for the Friday and Saturday...

Really looking forward to it, any other Brits going to be there?

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    TV Coverage reminder - 7pm tonight, Wednesday 24 March 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rqk0s
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Thanks for the nudge, NP

That's my evening planned-out then !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Abergavenny's finest and reigning double junior world champion Becky James goes off second in the women's 500m TT. Should start just after 5.30pm UK time. Eurosport start live coverage at 5.00pm (if you believe their schedules!!). BBC start coverage on the red button at 6.00pm before BBC2 starts at 7.00pm.

Good luck Becky! :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    Abergavenny's finest and reigning double junior world champion Becky James goes off second in the women's 500m TT. Should start just after 5.30pm UK time. Eurosport start live coverage at 5.00pm (if you believe their schedules!!). BBC start coverage on the red button at 6.00pm before BBC2 starts at 7.00pm.

Good luck Becky! :wink:

Thanks for the heads up about second off. I'll have a row if I miss her.
    Hopefully Eurosport will catch it and maybe the beeb will do a re-show.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    Without stating the obvious, what happened to the GB team in the sprint?? They always make the final!!!
  • mens team sprint just won bronze

chris hoy, kenny and edgar. hammered china

good race just a shame they didnt make gold/silver race
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    ... lots of problems with pedals (well 2 for GB)... they looked like 'look' pedals (no pun intended) :(

Chris Boardman said jokingly that he was going to have to start making pedals for the GB team too now!!

But GB went like a train when finally sorted in the run off for bronze!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Dazza2280 wrote:
    Without stating the obvious, what happened to the GB team in the sprint?? They always make the final!!!

A new start man to replace the best in the world - 3rd was pretty good considering. Feel sorry for Wendy Houvenagel, she's turning into the women's track cycling version of Poulidor!

Decent ride by Becky and Jesse Varnish against much more experienced opponents. Chris Newton missed out big time, bet he's happy with the Argie going all out for the final sprint when he hadn't been involved in the race until that point. Meyer was immense and looked capable of taking a lap at will :shock:
  • andy_wrx
    GB men's sprint set 3rd-fastest time didn't they, slower than both Germany and France in their Gold-Silver final ?
    - so Bronze was correct result.

Unreasonable to expect them to win every time and Brailsford's not bothered, Kenny was new as first-man and is up to very nearly as quick as Staff, so they're coming together for 2012 which is the ultimate target.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Pross wrote:
    . Chris Newton missed out big time, bet he's happy with the Argie going all out for the final sprint when he hadn't been involved in the race until that point. Meyer was immense and looked capable of taking a lap at will :shock:

I think the Argentinian rider also contested the penultimate sprint, when on zero points. Wonder if he received some koruna after the race...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    chris hoy's fall in the qualifying, does he get another crack at it since he was obstructed or is that him out of that too?
  • andy_wrx
    Guess you know the answer now !
  • what a race by sir chris hoy!! fantastic last 250M no one could touch him on the last race of the day.

shame bradley wiggins wasnt competing this year in track it would of been fantastic to see him
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bit of a mixed bag of results so far.
    In the team sprint, although DB claims it was positive due to JK start time on first lap, trouble is they would have expected more with such a good first lap!!
    Womens team sprint was not perfect, although Jess Varnish is still young (as is Becky James both good future prospects) she did a decent first lap and Pendleton actually lost time on her lap so not sure if VP is on top form yet, will see tomorrow in sprint final as Anna Myers seems to be going very well so it will be a good final and probably VP's hardest race for years and think it may get a bit rough!!
    Mens pursuit would have been dissapointed but the aussies rode well and GB time was actually very good and it is a young team.
    I am not so sure about the hype about J.Queally being in the squad, I do not see the point with so many good under 20 yearolds either pro or in the accademy who will be flying by 2012.
    Not sure what happened in the womens scratch, Anna Blyth used to be a sprinter but never really broke through so trying endurance? She really struggled, I woyuld have thought there are a few decent young riders could have been blooded in that race.
    Whay a crash though, the yank was very lucky to escape serious injury.
    Looking forward to remainng events.
  • Ouch!* Lucky it wasn't a moment earlier, it can be quite a drop falling inwards if on the main part of the bend.

Anyway, well done girl. Mission accomplished.

(*Womens sprint)
  • Ouch!* Lucky it wasn't a moment earlier, it can be quite a drop falling inwards if on the main part of the bend.

Anyway, well done girl. Mission accomplished.

(*Womens sprint)

Just a thought, but why was it re-run? Surely it was Pendleton's fault? It wasn't a mechanical? Not that I don't want Pendleton to win and don't think it would have made any differance, just don't quite get it.

And very disappointed there was no Team GB in the Madison. Are we going to see more of this in the non-Olympic events? Big shame for British Cycling and track cycling!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think they shpu;d have put some of the accademy riders in the Maddison,maybe Luke Rowe and Mark Christian for experience.
    Some good racing today, Sir Chris was done over by the Germans :D I did not like DB's comments saying it was disrespectful to ride off at the start. Fair play to Hoy he said it was hisfault, but why did he chase? He was on a bigger gear so was never going to close the gap so just did 3 very hard laps for nothing. Then in the repechage the other German did the same almost so Chris used a lot of energy in those two races and I think it showed in the race with bauge. As for the comments by DB, what did he hink the German would do in a race where he would not win with usual tactics? You have to try something different and he did ,fair play I say, nothing illegal and he was fooked at the end, last 200m was 12.2 secs even I can beat that :D
    Pendleton looked much sharper today even though she turned up to fast on the bank and fell off :D Hope she doesn't get boxed in the keirin tomorrow.
    Good ride by Armistead today also.