Cycling and Risk taking survey

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
reposted from LFGSS

http://myweb.lsbu.ac.uk/~fringsd/cyclestudy.htm

please take some time to complete this as it's for our own safety
Dear Sir, Madam, Colleague,

Some of you will be aware that I am conducting research into cycling fatalities, if you are not aware then your e-mail address has been supplied to me as someone who may have an interest in the subject area.

In short, I am about to publish a web based questionnaire designed to explore risk taking behaviour in cyclists. The survey will take no more than 10 minutes to complete and is completely anonymous.

I am looking to explore specific data with regards to cyclists and Large Goods Vehicles, although the data I obtain will provide broader information as well. I am hoping that this research will obtain good quality data that can be used to inform road safety projects, aid training for all road users and, ultimately, reduce fatal and serious collisions, especially within the cycling community.

Some of you have assisted me in the preparation of the survey and some of you have taken a pilot study, those that have not are most welcome to complete the questionnaire themselves, but the main reason for sending this circulation is to ask you all to publicise the web link as far and wide as possible. Some of you have already agreed to host the link on a web page relevant to your organisation and I would ask that, if any of you have such a facility, that you do so as well. My target audience is, obviously, cyclists, but I do not want to be too specific about the groups of people I am interested in because people may self-exclude themselves, and I do not want that to happen, as all data will be useful.

You will all be aware that any research is only as good as the information that comes in, so the wider the response the more useful the information will be. I am sending this message out now so that those of you that need to prepare a web slot can do so and to ask those, for whom this is first contact, to consider what they may be able to do to assist.

I am hoping to send the link out very shortly and I will run the survey for a three week period when it goes live.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me, details below. The mobile telephone number is probably the best one.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Andy.

Andy Rose
Detective Inspector

Head of Collision Investigation Unit
Alperton Traffic Unit
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Slightly confused by the "how far from the kerb do you cycle"

mostly several miles. :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    :lol: some of the questions are a little poorly worded but it's worth filling out as they are trying to help the cycling community avoid being squished
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I love this one: How far do you cycle on average each day? Less than one mile 1 - 2 miles 2 - 3 miles 3 - 4 miles 4 - 5 miles More than 5 miles

:lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Done and I offered to take part in any further research.

Anything to help "The cause".

The revolution will not be televised!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Really it needs a better description of the junction, light phasing and the traffic on the other carriageways.

'Cycles down either side of the HGV and stops'; stops where? Opposing oncoming traffic?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good to see the type of involvement from the rozzers though. Duly filled in. Cheers for the repost CP.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Completed, and will forward it to two mates.

Question 3 is invalid if you dont own a license (have added this point in the comments before submitting)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    downfader wrote:

Question 3 is invalid if you dont own a license (have added this point in the comments before submitting)

You could have a provisional license.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • downfader
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    downfader wrote:

True, but not everyone will. :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    downfader wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    downfader wrote:

No-one will. Some will have a provisional licence though.

Sorry. License / licence does my chuffing head in. Verb - noun. I am licensed. I have a licence.

<coat>
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I think it's a pretty good survey. I suspect that they will struggle to get many responses from people who are ignorant of the risks though. It's going to get filled in by experienced commuters
  • Clever Pun
    jedster wrote:
    I think it's a pretty good survey. I suspect that they will struggle to get many responses from people who are ignorant of the risks though. It's going to get filled in by experienced commuters

that's why I've also sent it to all the POB's at work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • downfader
    Clever Pun wrote:
    jedster wrote:

that's why I've also sent it to all the POB's at work

Same here. Though I only have two I can contact, I hope they send this around to other Unis as I have seen some shocking student cycling lately. :?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What's a POB?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Done. I found it very instructive - most of the wrong options were suicidal.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's a POB?

"person/pedestrian on bike"

sometimes even "plonker on bike" depends on who you speak to
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's a POB?

Pedestrian On a Bike - do try and keep up Mr D! BTW did anything happen with that list of acronyms going on the Information for Beginners sticky.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good repost CP, duly filled in.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    downfader wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    downfader wrote:

Just saying that I've driven a car on the road, but don't have a full licenCe (fao CiB:P). So the question is valid.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I love this one: How far do you cycle on average each day? Less than one mile 1 - 2 miles 2 - 3 miles 3 - 4 miles 4 - 5 miles More than 5 miles

At least you get to answer that. My mileage is apparently irrelevant :lol:

Is it worth me carrying on or does it stop being London focussed later on?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Just filled it in too, as have been said to get some decent data from the questionnaire it will need to be filled in people who aren't so interested in cycling.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Rolf F wrote:

At least you get to answer that. My mileage is apparently irrelevant :lol:

Is it worth me carrying on or does it stop being London focussed later on?

Though it's a London university that's carrying out the research, I don't think there were any questions that weren't relevant to people riding outside London. My guess is that the question about distance is to ascertain whether you're commuting or at least a serious cyclist or whether you're just pootling down to the shops. The rules that apply to safe cycling in London are the same as for any city in the UK. It just happens that there are a lot more people in London - and more fatalities, last year at least.

OT: Yesterday I found myself hanging behind an artic that was going straight on at the roundabout in Greenwich that killed Adrianna in April last year. It not only completely obliterated the roadside cycle path but jammed its axle against the raised kerb. And the lorry was going straight on! If I'd used the cycle path I could have died. As it was, I ended up directing traffic because the driver needed to reverse and I was the only one who could see the driver and speak to the traffic behind, which needed to reverse so the truck could renegotiate the bend. The charming people-carrier driver would have saved a good bit of time if he'd stayed in his car and reversed instead of getting out - yea, verily it can stand! - and hurling ''stupid fûcking foreigner'' abuse at the lorry.

I've asked to be given the results/conclusions of the questionnaire.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Filled in and passed round to the seven other cyclists in the office.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Filled this in - felt a bit like they expected different behaviours to essentially similar situations where I see folk make decisions based on contributary factors like space, other cyclists, weather, light and other traffic, anyway!

On the way home last night and within the space of 300 metres
    1. I was right hooked by a LT Taxi thingy
    2. a pedestrian walked out in front of me
    3. and a taxi decided to fling a Uee right near may right flank.

By the time I got to Blackfriars bridge I was convinced they were all out to get me,

Tis the bloody surveys fault.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    Well worth filling out I think, as I put in the comments: people often suggest that all drivers should have to cycle to gain their licence to develop some perspective.

But also us bikers need to be able to read the road and have good road sense to try and predict what the traffic around them is likely to do given the situation - I think that'd prevent a lot of awkward and nasty situations out there. How do we give kids and upcoming teenagers that view point?
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • Clever Pun
    OT: Yesterday I found myself hanging behind an artic that was going straight on at the roundabout in Greenwich that killed Adrianna in April last year. It not only completely obliterated the roadside cycle path but jammed its axle against the raised kerb. And the lorry was going straight on! If I'd used the cycle path I could have died. As it was, I ended up directing traffic because the driver needed to reverse and I was the only one who could see the driver and speak to the traffic behind, which needed to reverse so the truck could renegotiate the bend. The charming people-carrier driver would have saved a good bit of time if he'd stayed in his car and reversed instead of getting out - yea, verily it can stand! - and hurling ''stupid fûcking foreigner'' abuse at the lorry.

I think that's very much on topic
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5