A little advice needed

TwoWheelDrift
TwoWheelDrift Posts: 20
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Several months ago, I got knocked off on my way to college. A guy was turning right, went across my path and stopped, i had no room to brake or swerve so went into the side of him - fairly classic collision. The bike was totaled - frame and forks bent to s**t - but most of the components on the rear end seem ok.
I am pursuing a claim with a solicitor regarding this, but it seems that they are dragging it out for as long as possible and I'm rather keen to get back to cycling now the nicer weather is here. Basically, I need to know if it would be ok for me to take components off the remains of the bike, or does it need to be in completely the same state it was on the day?

cheers

Comments

• i had a similar accident but on a motorbike, and by the time the guy admitted fault the bike had been repaired (at cost to me) and sold on, i would suggest you photograph extensively the damage, also perhaps take the bike to your LBS for an insurance assesment, then do want you want with whats left thats useable
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • As part of your claim will be for taxi fares, etc as you can't use your bike, it is your responsibility to keep your claim to a minimum. Therefore stripping the bike and reusing bits to get you back on the road as soon as possible to acceptable.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    As part of your claim will be for taxi fares, etc as you can't use your bike, it is your responsibility to keep your claim to a minimum. Therefore stripping the bike and reusing bits to get you back on the road as soon as possible to acceptable.

To get back on the road, the only way you can do this in situations is to pay for the repairs. Get an LBS quote though, then do what you want, and keep receipts. TBH this is typical of any claim.....the insurers deliberately drag it out (barstewards)
  • OK thanks guys, you've been most helpful :)