C2W - two bikes

Mike400
Mike400 Posts: 226
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Isnt strictly in the spirit of the scheme, but is it possible to buy say a mens bike and a ladies bike with the same voucher?

say 'dave' buys a £700 bike for his commute and a £300 bike for the wife?
twitter @fat_cyclist

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    It's all down to how your LBS views the voucher.

Some see it as cash...others stick very stricly to the 'rules'.

Enquire at a few shops to see what their translation of the rules is.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • As far as I am aware, there is nothing in the scheme to stop you getting two bikes through the scheme for one person - for example to be used at either end of a train journey (subject to whatever financial limit your employer has).

However, if I read between the lines correctly, you need to be aware that stretching this further, as intimated, might be more fraudulant than just not 'strictly in the spirit of the scheme'.

I would hope the scheme administrator would query it and that may cause embarassment.
  • oops - duplicate post

trigger happy finger :roll:
  • As far as I am aware, there is nothing in the scheme to stop you getting two bikes through the scheme for one person - for example to be used at either end of a train journey (subject to whatever financial limit your employer has).

However, if I read between the lines correctly, you need to be aware that stretching this further, as intimated, might be more fraudulant than just not 'strictly in the spirit of the scheme'.

I would hope the scheme administrator would query it and that may cause embarassment.
    Spot on, IMO. You could end up in trouble with both your employer and the tax man.

Why not use my wife's logic when it comes to buying bags. Spend a lot on the bike you want and then with the money you 'save' buy your wife a bike. :shock: :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mike400 wrote:
    Isnt strictly in the spirit of the scheme, but is it possible to buy say a mens bike and a ladies bike with the same voucher?

say 'dave' buys a £700 bike for his commute and a £300 bike for the wife?

I'd agree with Specialized Needs that this goes maybe a bit far. It is one thing getting a bike each year on the system whilst still using the first as your commuter but something else using the scheme to buy a bike for someone else who doesn't even work for that company. Of course, from the taxmans perspective, if that bike was used for commuting they shouldn't really have much cause to complain - the only misused party in that case would be your company who would be providing a cyclescheme for another company!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Kinda knew it was a tad silly.......besides I want to spend the entire £1000 on myself ;)

My wife is self employed, works from home so no real avenue for her to do the same.

Will just have to cough up
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Do your company use an intermediary, or do they administer it themselves?

If the latter then it might be possible for you to 'buy' both bikes from the shop (an LBS type might be more flexible with this) at the same time - the company purchasing one, you the other - and see what discount they'll give you on the second bike - see whether they'll give the total discount they would normally give for the two bikes off the one bike. If the first bike isn't discounted, then they might bump up the discount on the second bike more than usual? Might be worth a try.

I hope the above makes sense :?: