Latest on Valverde vs CAS

13»

Comments

• Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    He was one of my faves...no tears though...you do the crime, you have to do the time.

Well, anyone want to buy a slightly used Cassie Spanish champs jersey.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    iainf72 wrote:

That would explain it... Does Spain have an anti doping authority? And if so where can I apply to "work" there?

:lol:

To be fair, it was the Spanish legal system which said they could not use the evidence for sporting sanctions. The Italians and (chequebook justice) Germans got access to the blood samples through criminal investigations rather than sporting process.

As I understand it, the material that the Spanish court had was released to the Italians by a judge who was covering another judge's leave. This vexed the judge on leave.

Sometimes the Spanish judiciary make Spanish cycling's anti-doping efforts look serious :cry:
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Valverde hasn't presented any good argument (that I've seen) to counter the substance of the evidence against him, only whether such evidence could be used against him. I'm a lawyer, sometimes we try to exclude evidence. But it's not the best way for a sportsman to retain credibility. Far better to fess up like David Millar, take what's coming, and re-build a career that you can take pride in later.

I've said it before, Spanish cycling has a real problem facing up to doping issues. I'm not sure that the public does, as the interest in cycling in Spain is falling rapidly (despite having possibly the best GT rider since Hinault) and judging from letters to a cycling mag after Maribel Moreno's positive in Beijing. But the same mag had articles by riders and former riders (such as Otxoa and Beloki) bitching about doping controls and an editorial ccriticising an (admitedly self-serving) politician who called on Moreno to "name names".

I think the problem lies in Spain's cycling establishment, and its cycling culture. Valverde may be no worse than others, but in future he's not gonna have the respect that a LeMond, Mottet or Gilbert have, or even David Millar.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Dgh wrote:
    Far better to fess up like David Millar, take what's coming, and re-build a career that you can take pride in later.
    Only Valverde's won Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Vuelta and racked up millions in his bank account. Millar wound up bankrupt.

But you're right about institutional collusion in Spain. The judicial authorities sat on evidence but I can understand they didn't want to release the details of the investigation whilst the possibility of legal action existed. But the way the Spanish cycling federation has just sat on the sidelines and tried to deflect criticism of Valverde is disgusting.

Doping is the scourge of our sport, it's bad enough with some riders, doctors and team managers but governing bodies should be taking stand, not defending crooks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Kléber wrote:
    Dgh wrote:
    Far better to fess up like David Millar, take what's coming, and re-build a career that you can take pride in later.
    Only Valverde's won Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Vuelta and racked up millions in his bank account. Millar wound up bankrupt.

But you're right about institutional collusion in Spain. The judicial authorities sat on evidence but I can understand they didn't want to release the details of the investigation whilst the possibility of legal action existed. But the way the Spanish cycling federation has just sat on the sidelines and tried to deflect criticism of Valverde is disgusting.

Doping is the scourge of our sport, it's bad enough with some riders, doctors and team managers but governing bodies should be taking stand, not defending crooks.

A Franco hangover?

(too soon?)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Its a freak of the system, the mans innocent fry Armstrong hes the real cheat or maybe hes had his ban?...................................................................

Oi that's my wild conspiricy theory! 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Never thought of his 'retirement' and comeback along those lines. It's got me thinking now.....
    How long did he 'retire' for?
    What is the usual ban - 2 years?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    THe UCI and WADA have been weak here. To the layman it appears obvious that Spain has shielded its athletes from the anti doping authorities. Italy has been proactive in chasing out drugs cheats, even to the extent of discrediting major stars.Meanwhile Valverde has never protested innocence, he has just argued about technicalities and procedures. Strong rumours from many sources regarding footballers and tennis players have disappeared into the ether.
    Maybe, just maybe, Spanish sporting bodies should be sanctioned, as it appears virtually impossible for the authorities to succesfully proceed against their athletes. If this means that the Tour de France starts without last year's champion, so be it!
    Alternatively, maybe this move should come from ASO. This might concentrate a few Spanish minds, as to the seriousness of the situation.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Some insider info for you all: WADA looked at pushing for a ban on Spain in total but given the lack of evidence, the risk of a member country taking the organisation to court was seen as too great, for the sake of landing a few Spanish cyclists the whole organisation would be on the line. It was seen that threatening the Spanish wouldn't force them to wake up and confront their mistakes but would instead only make them more defensive.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Some insider info for you all: WADA looked at pushing for a ban on Spain in total but given the lack of evidence, the risk of a member country taking the organisation to court was seen as too great, for the sake of landing a few Spanish cyclists the whole organisation would be on the line. It was seen that threatening the Spanish wouldn't force them to wake up and confront their mistakes but would instead only make them more defensive.

How's that working out for them?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber wrote:

How's that working out for them?

quite well so far it would seem