Bike carriers for cars

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I know this could go on the family page, but no-one reads that so am posting here

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap car bike carrier for 2 adult and 2 kids' (12" wheel) bikes? Have borrowed a cheapie Halfords one before (3 bike but took all 4 OK) and seemed fine - is on special offer now so may grab one.

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    SecretSam wrote:
    I know this could go on the family page, but no-one reads that so am posting here

Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't it?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    SecretSam wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap car bike carrier for 2 adult and 2 kids' (12" wheel) bikes? Have borrowed a cheapie Halfords one before (3 bike but took all 4 OK) and seemed fine - is on special offer now so may grab one.

Thanks in advance

Where are you based - i've got a thule one i could sell you cheap. I'm presuming you mean a rear carrier. What car is it for?

Pete
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Have you seen the article in C+ a little while back where they reviewed various different types. Must be on BR somewhere.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SecretSam wrote:
    I know this could go on the family page, but no-one reads that

I do.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    spen666 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy doesn't it?

I blame DDD
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    OK to all you family guys out there

I AM SORRY

Allow me to re-phrase: didn't post on family forum initially 'cos I thought I reach a wider audience here. But I'll put OP on there anyway :oops:

The Halfords one got a good rating in the test in the mag a while back, 9/10 I think. PBo - thanks for the offer, am in Bucks so a bit of a hike from Sheffield!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you have a tow bar, the Pendle racks are awesome.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I had a Halford's one a couple of years back but wasn't impressed and switched to a Pendle one.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    worth mentioning that a lot of the rear racks sold are actually illegal unless you use a number plate / light board on it (as they obscure plate and brake lights). The police don't tend to enforce this but that may change. If you want to take bikes on holiday then the french police do not like any racks except roof mounted or towbar mounted (they have been known to pull cars over); this is on the basis that they don't accept that the racks are adequate to support a load when driving at 90mph.

None of the above may matter if you only want a cheap one for local country runs; but if you have a roof rack already then halfords do single bike roof carriers at £24 per go, so might be worth looking at a few of those and maybe kids bike in the boot with front wheel off.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • M.Cole wrote:

M.Cole - Awesome new profile pic, by the way. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    M.Cole wrote:

Glad you like :wink: Thankfully it didn't hurt :shock:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    M.Cole wrote:
    M.Cole wrote:

Glad you like :wink: Thankfully it didn't hurt :shock:

:lol:

That's an excellent photo. Glad it didn't hurt.
  • M.Cole wrote:
    Featuring at Brands Hatch?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :D
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    SecretSam wrote:

Thanks in advance

In my experience, kids bikes do not sit comfortably on any bike rack, so best to make do in the car. You did not mention what sort of car you have. And yes, most rear bike racks are illegal without plates and lights.

I have the Saris Bones 3 only because it looks cool.