Newbie, looking for a bike (predictable I know)

underdog
underdog Posts: 292
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, first, great forum have spent the last 3 night shifts reading it for all the info I could find, sure I didn't understand a lot of it but killed some work time :lol:

Anyway, to the point, a bike. I was looking at around £500 mark, which seems to be a minimum for a decent bike to start on. I live in South Wales in Port Talbot, so places to ride isn't a problem (lucky me), for the start I simply want a bike to ride around the mountains and get use to being on a bike again.

So tried taking in all I can from the many many similar threads on here on what bike to buy and what to look for. A popular choice is the Fury, but I don't like how it looks :oops: Call me a tart but if I am paying £500 for something I want to like how it looks. I also like to be a little different, so the standard beginners bike isn't something I would like to take if there was an alternative.

So I have trawled the sites looking around that price range at things that catch my eye, while trying to keep in mind what I should look out for.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Cube Analog http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Larg ... 4341-1.jpg

Then from reading on here the Decathlon own brand bikes seem to offer a lot too?

So thoughts on the cube (not much in the way of user info on the web), thoughts on the decathlon, and of course other suggestions taking in mind what I said.

right that was a bigger post than I had planned but thanks in advance.

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    edited March 2010
    On looks alone:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-sl-6-2010-mountain-bike-ec020209

But the spec list really doesn't stack up to the Fury. Considering the fantastic riding you have locally I'd want performance over anything else!
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    underdog wrote:
    Hi guys, first, great forum have spent the last 3 night shifts reading it for all the info I could find, sure I didn't understand a lot of it but killed some work time :lol:

Anyway, to the point, a bike. I was looking at around £500 mark, which seems to be a minimum for a decent bike to start on. I live in South Wales in Port Talbot, so places to ride isn't a problem (lucky me), for the start I simply want a bike to ride around the mountains and get use to being on a bike again.

So tried taking in all I can from the many many similar threads on here on what bike to buy and what to look for. A popular choice is the Fury, but I don't like how it looks :oops: Call me a tart but if I am paying £500 for something I want to like how it looks. I also like to be a little different, so the standard beginners bike isn't something I would like to take if there was an alternative.

So I have trawled the sites looking around that price range at things that catch my eye, while trying to keep in mind what I should look out for.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Cube Analog http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Larg ... 4341-1.jpg

Then from reading on here the Decathlon own brand bikes seem to offer a lot too?

So thoughts on the cube (not much in the way of user info on the web), thoughts on the decathlon, and of course other suggestions taking in mind what I said.

right that was a bigger post than I had planned but thanks in advance.
    if you're buying a bike on looks alone then i'd have to agree with you.for £500 thats a beauty
  • underdog
    I'm not buying on looks alone :oops: but I want to spend my cash on something that looks nice and has a decent spec for the price range, not asking much huh? :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Cube is poor next to the Fury. It has one of the worst specs I have ever seen for that money.
  • underdog
    supersonic wrote:
    The Cube is poor next to the Fury. It has one of the worst specs I have ever seen for that money.

Thanks mate, back to the drawing board I guess :cry:
  • i just bought a 2009 kona cindercone for £499 i thought it seemed a fairly good spec for the money, but dont ask me what i think of it yet as i dont get it deliverd until friday :lol:
  • underdog
    Seems like a good buy, be sure to give me your views on it.

Noticed a completely different option of the ugly (in my opinion of course) Giant Yukon FX3 at £350 but all the advice of not buying a full sus bike for that kind of money is haunting me.

It's ugly but for that price I can get it refinished :oops: :lol:
  • just picked up a new kona caldera 2009 from rutlands cycles £550, same spec as the 2010
    and they sell for £850,bullet proof used by most trail hire.
  • underdog
    jackthelad wrote:
    just picked up a new kona caldera 2009 from rutlands cycles £550, same spec as the 2010
    and they sell for £850,bullet proof used by most trail hire.

With the info I have gleaned from here that looks well specd. Cheers for letting me know about at that, I think we have a front runner in my quest, had been toying with the Yukon and upgrades but now you have changed my mind.
  • thats the same place i got my cindercone i was tempted by the caldera but didnt want to spend the extra , & i also liked the white colour of the cindercone :lol: