So I cleaned and oiled...

ropey
ropey Posts: 96
edited March 2010 in MTB general
....the gear cables for my xt shifter and rear mech today(they were pretty covered in gunk) and marvelled at their improved proformance when on a spin tonight!...
It just got me thinking,which would give better shifting preformance:xt shifters and deore rear mech or,deore shifter and xt rear mech?.....getting ahead of myself here and planning my next build :)

Comments

• Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    Hmmh,

Not sure I have xtr shifters, chain and cassette and Xt rear mech on one bike and Xt shifters, chain and cassette with an Xtr mech on the other.

I reckon the Xtr setup shifts a lot better, but I reckon some (quite a lot of that is down to the chain and cassette)

Nick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i would say a xt mech and deore shifter
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Definitely XT shifters and Deore mech. Shifters have a much greater effect on the feel of the shift than the mech does.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Neither.

SRAM up.

*waits for Shimano v SRAM debate to start yet again*
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The Daily Mail said SRAM gives you cancer
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Daily Mail then went on to say gears give you cancer and everyone should go singlespeed.

However don't go fixie as that is just ridiculous and fixie riders are worse than a muslim asylum seeker.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    in that case, based on the daily mail's pattern in the past, in a couple of weeks they'll be saying sram prevents cancer
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    XT Shifters Deore mech (s).
  • ropey
    Reason I asked is I hope to put the funds together for a budget full suss build in the near future,so will have one eye one price and one on performance so will be putting in cheaper spec where I can.

I can only assume bike manufactures will put on a higher spec rear mech to catch your eye on cheaper bikes instead of putting higher spec shifters,which are a less obvious upgrade at a glance
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I can only assume bike manufactures will put on a higher spec rear mech to catch your eye on cheaper bikes instead of putting higher spec shifters,which are a less obvious upgrade at a glance

Spot on!

Manufacturers always spec a better mech despite the fact that the best place to spend money on the drive train is the cranks and shifters
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Not sure about deore, but I have SLX shifter -XT mech on one bike, and XT to XT on the other and can't tell the difference...how about a compromise and use SLX for both ? It's great kit.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    in that case, based on the daily mail's pattern in the past, in a couple of weeks they'll be saying sram prevents cancer

Followed shortly afterwards by a special edition Princess Diana supplement in which they reveal her secret love for X0 :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    shifters far more important than the mech, mech is just a dumb lever tbh.

They spec higher mechs because they're much more visible.
  • ropey
    .how about a compromise and use SLX for both ? It's great kit.

Yeah,have an SLX chainset on my bike and cant fault it,but I'll be looking at second hand parts for the next bike,so I dont think too many people will be parting with their SLX kit just yet as its fairly new stuff
  • joshtp
    infact, if you think about it the new deore means that the only real dif with XT is the weight and look, '010 deore is craking!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    infact, if you think about it the new deore means that the only real dif with XT is the weight and look, '010 deore is craking!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Decent cables made the biggest difference to my shifting on my bike.

Got SRAM ferrite cables haven't touched them in a year really and there still silky. best upgrade once your at a half decent level from my opinion is cables
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT shifters, Deore mech with clean, well finished cables.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235

Followed shortly afterwards by a special edition Princess Diana supplement in which they reveal her secret love for X0 :lol:

isn't it the express that's obsessed with Diana? The mail would have something on 'Cube and Ghost add to rush of immigrant bikes taking over British trails!'
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087

i had some fried SPAM sandwiches the other day, they gave me the shits.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    richg1979 wrote:

i had some fried SPAM sandwiches the other day, they gave me the shits.

That's too much information for somebody who's currently eating their lunch
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano SLX kit will do excellent job and great value for the money, top banana 8)
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    got slx rear mech, ( 8 speed, xtr cables) going 9 speed soon, getting xtr shifters, just the rear, as the alivio shifter will be fine on the front 3!

£55 for the xtr shifter, £35 for the xt shifter , only £20 or so in it
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5