First tour contemplated

gbs
gbs Posts: 450
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
We will be in easy terrain- Loire valley so I do not expect to re gear the bike but I am fearful of weight of kit and so will endeavour to travel light and will stay in hotels/gites.

What are the recommendations re
1. off duty footwear - I am thinking about the Geoxx trainers - light, breathable and sufficiently discreet for dinner

2. Panniers - light and waterproof recommendation please

3. target weight of kit and panniers bearing in mind that seniority brings the need to carry multiple pairs of glasses, denture fixative, spare wig etc
vintage newbie, spinning away

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'm planning to get a pair of Jingas when the classic black ones are available in my size. I don't know how they compare to the Geoxx trainers, but at 206g a pair they are about the weight of a pair of flip-flops.

Ortlieb panniers.

I'd aim for under 10kgs. Take travelwash and fewer changes of clothes. Merino wool is also good (check out Ground Effect's stuff).
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I have a pair of Jingas which I bought specifically because they pack so small. Beware that the soles are very thin and flexible so you will literally feel every pebble or matchstick you step on. They are fine for short distances but I'd not like to walk far in mine unless on smooth town pavements. Still an excellent space saver.

Weight I don't worry about too much; bulk is more important (see Jinga comment). I would not use panniers for a tour of a couple of weeks (unless camping), only a saddlebag. Complete with tools, waterproofs etc mine comes in around 7kg but I do carry a girt big heavy old cape.

My kit has steadily been thinned out over 40 plus years of cycle touring. The Jingas were the latest addition, previously I carried sandals which were much bulkier.
  • I bought a pair of slip on shoes from a cheap seaside shop for £2.99. They are light, capable of being folded up and look very similar to Jingas.