"Instructors" on Thames Street/Southwark Bridge ju

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone see these this morning and what they were to?

I caught a flash of "Instructor" on the reverse of the jacket and he seemed to have been talking to a cyclist at the lights. (I was a few cars and one lorrt behind the ASL box).
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Route instructors to show people how to get from A to B en masse.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    Did you find them helpful? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    you'll regret that one buddy... 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I had a quick chat to one of them. They were handing out leaflets to a bike safety talk, just further down Lr Thames Street at a firestation. Think it was for Wed or Thursday.

They were pretty friendly(who wasnt this morning in the sun), so I offered my advice that the cycle green light for those coming off the bridge should come on slightly earlier than the main green. Most cyclists RLJ this in any case, and I think a few plod were enforcing that this morning also.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I'm a Bikeability instructor and I often do stuff like this.

For example, there's a cycle lane near me with a walking section that cyclists have been ignoring. Residents have complained and are lobbying to have the entire path closed off to cyclists. So me and some other instructors have been pleading with cyclists to obey the rules, so as not to spoil it for everyone else.

We do get abuse from a small minority of the public. But we usually have free bells, lights, fruit'n'fibre bars, batteries etc to sweeten the deal.
  • cjcp
    FM/Andy - cheers. Good on you, Andy.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I'm a Bikeability instructor and I often do stuff like this.

For example, there's a cycle lane near me with a walking section that cyclists have been ignoring. Residents have complained and are lobbying to have the entire path closed off to cyclists. So me and some other instructors have been pleading with cyclists to obey the rules, so as not to spoil it for everyone else.

We do get abuse from a small minority of the public. But we usually have free bells, lights, fruit'n'fibre bars, batteries etc to sweeten the deal.

Why not be even handed and have a road where the car drivers have to get out and push?

It would only be fair...and about as likely to be ignored.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....