The road pedal debate

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Yesterday my left pedal, at times, wouldn't engage with the cleat, which was hugely frustrating. I have Shimano 105 SPD-sl road pedaels. While I like Shimano-SPD-sl pedals I bought them at a time when I was new and so simply went with a brand name I was familiar with. Also I very rarely need a reason to upgrade/try something new, lighter, faster these days...

What pedal/cleat combination do you use and why?

Please note:
To make it commuter valid for Spen666, I commute and weekend cycle using the same pedals system on two different bikes (this helps with consistency and ensures I don't forget how to use the pedals on either bike) so they have to be suitable for both commuting and weekend rides (that means walking to the second floor of my office) and they also must fit road shoes.

Thanks in advance.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Crank Bros Quattros, if you can still get em.
    Nice wide platform, float etc.

Think you could use em for light off-road if needs be.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I use the same, 105 SPD-SL pedals, i would have gotten ultegra to match everything else but couldn't get them anywhere at the time.

I've used SPD-SL for about 5 or 6 years now, and never had any issues, It has many advatages over the smaller mtb style cleat and as a long time user 80% of the time i can clip in quicker that anyone using mtb style.

I also don't have the issues of walking like a chicken or pegion as many people seam to. Heal then cleat, heal then cleat. very simple.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    For commuting it's standard SPD (Shimano MT40 shoes) & M520s.

Reason is I need to walk in my shoes (taking son to school two days a week, then cycling on to work).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yesterday my left pedal, at times, wouldn't engage with the cleat.

Are you sure that perhaps it is the cleat that needs to engage with the pedal and not vice-versa?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    navt wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yesterday my left pedal, at times, wouldn't engage with the cleat.

Are you sure that perhaps it is the cleat that needs to engage with the pedal and not vice-versa?

Is the cleat worn?

Anyway for non-commuting road purposes there is no debate; the answer is simply Speedplay.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    edited March 2010
    For commuting I use standard SPDs, they last longer and are easier to click into.

SPD-SLs are for the weekend but I fancy a change soon.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Speaking of which, how relevant are cleats to commuting in central London? Not wanting to hijack your thread DDD, someone did pose this question to me in light of recent central London fatalities.

Like yourself, I have more than one bike and use them interchangeably for commuting and weekends/sportives.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    If you were happy with SPD-SL until yesterday + had never had a problem why change? It just sounds like a worn or dirty cleat - although odd it should be the left one...
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For commuting I use SPDs and at the weekends I use Look Keos.

I commuted once in my Keos and it just about destroyed the cleats. SPDs are much more durable and are recessed into my shoes to make walking much easier.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I like standard SPDs for the commute, easy to engage and I can walk properly in the shoes. I have Look Keos on the road bikes, they work fine. Haven't tried Time / SPD-SL / Speedplay so can't really compare those. I'm not convinced road pedals have any great advantage to be honest. If you have the tension on SPDs up high and have stiff soled shoes, they feel more or less the same as road pedals to me. They just don't look as good!
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I have Shimano Mtb clipless jobbies on my mtb and was using them on the Dew Deluxe (RIP) and found them to be fine. I am looking at getting a new road bike, and a single speed cx bike in the very near future. Its a similar set of questions to DDD's. More of my cycling is commuting miles, but I have all Mtb shoes at the moment. Am I really looking at getting all new shoes and pedals for the road bike? I take it that the 3 bolt road cleats give a better surface area and better power transfer than the mtbs style 2 bolt cleats.
    And is better to be using clipless or platform pedals on a fixie? Both seem to be dangerous options, but hey ho! :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I keep it simple with SPDs on road, mtb and tandem. Saves having multiple shoe confusion.

Single sided SPDs let me nip out at lunchtime without having to change shoes.

Never tried anything else other than flats, so probably don't know what I'm missing (but don't really care either)
  • Until recently I was quite happy with my SPDs, that was until I bought some roadie shoes to use them with. Frankly walking in roadie shoes with regular SPD cleats is an experience. I liked the shoes, though.

I bought some cheapie Wellgo SPD-R pedals of eBay which are basically just like SPD, but longer. They work OK, and are much easier to walk in, but I still miss the two-sided SPD pedals. I seem to spend ages clipping in from the lights.
  • I use speedplay zero's on both the road bike and the commuter. I used to use shimano 520's on the commuter but swapped over recently to the speedplay's. I'm a huge advocate of speedplay's they have the easy double sided entry that spd'd have but all the advantages of a road pedal over an spd pedal. I've even found them easy to walk in and this includes having to carry my bike up and down 2 flights of stairs.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Another vote for spd's. Work well, easy to clip into and can walk in the shoes.

As above, could be worn cleat or perhaps something stuck underneath it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DDD, is your left pedal the one you always unclip at junctions? If so this has probably work the cleat prematurely.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've had exactly the same problem DDD. I don't think it's worn cleats, 90% of the time with me it's a failure to engage the front portion of the cleat first. I'm convinced it's to do with a slightly stiff pedal bearing no allowing the pedal to hang properly thus makign engaging the cleat a problem.

I've not tried anything else yet, I'd be interested to see how some of the Time pedals fare
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Asprilla wrote:
    DDD, is your left pedal the one you always unclip at junctions? If so this has probably work the cleat prematurely.

My thoughts exactly!

Get some new cleats and you'll most likely be fine - could even take a sub to C+ as they are giving away a set of SPD-SL pedals and cleats I think :-)

Personally I'm on SPD's for the bike (I have yet to be able to differentiate between weekend and commute bike :-() and haven't had any issues. Replaced cleats once already on these shoes as I'm using dhb R1's with the road-style SPD cleats which have little metal/rubber arms on either side to allow me to walk "properly".
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    RichK wrote:
    For commuting it's standard SPD (Shimano MT40 shoes) & M520s.

Reason is I need to walk in my shoes........

Exactly the same as me :lol:

Use the SPD for commute and road. It just makes life a bit more simpler and has no real disadvantages for me.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    navt wrote:
    Speaking of which, how relevant are cleats to commuting in central London? Not wanting to hijack your thread DDD, someone did pose this question to me in light of recent central London fatalities.

I'd say riding without being clipped in is actually more dangerous, just consider the consequences of feet slipping on wet pedals in heavy traffic! Clipped in you have complete control of your ability to move forwards, you can accelerate harder, pedal with one foot, reverse pedal to get the crank angle set for take off at lights and so on.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I use SPD. All my bikes, weekend and commuting, have Shimano M540 pedals
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Am I the only time user???

ShimaNO.. see?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I use SPDs (mountain bike type), on all my bikes.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Am I the only time user???

ShimaNO.. see?
    Nope. They're ace. Got various versions of the RXS on my bikes. I do have spuds on the main commuter but the times are fine in traffic on the pearson etc.

As to the OP, I find cleat engagement can be fouled sometimes when wearing overshoes. Come on spring. Oh, wait :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I'd always go for MTB style SPDs for commuting as i reckon you can get your foot out of those as quick if not quicker than toe clips. As a one bike person (+ folding Dahon) I don't really have to worry about which shoes/pedals for which bikes. Mind you, I would have said that the majority of roadie commuters on my run also go for the MTB SPD option.

FWIW I have some VP-104 pedals, which are almost as old as the bike (probably 10+ yrs now). They are Shimano MTB clones, but when I bought them, the bearings were a lot smoother than the Shimano equivalent. Sadly VP were bought out by Exustar and then dropped long ago, so when these pedals finally die (not looking like happening anytime soon [nervous laugh]), I will probably end up going for something similar. I also like the fact that the MTB shoes allow me to walk around more or less normally, even run for a train when the need arises. Never tried SPD-SL or other 'road' clipless, so don't know what I'm missing.

BTW the Crank Bros Quattros have been discontinued, but the Acids are very similar
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I have a pair of asics trainers which I have modified to allow them to be used as clipless.

1) Nail 2 (two) kittens to the end of each crank arm.
    2) Smear double cream to the bottom of your old trainers
    3) Watch as the small animals cling desperately to the food source

Of course the real trick is putting just enough cream on the bottom of each shoe to make sure the kittens release at the office. Too much and the cream will stink your locker out.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    symo wrote:
    I have a pair of asics trainers which I have modified to allow them to be used as clipless.

Of course the real trick is putting just enough cream on the bottom of each shoe to make sure the kittens release at the office. Too much and the cream will stink your locker out.

Why do you need two kittens on each crank arm? Wouldn't one on each be lighter?
  • will3 wrote:
    symo wrote:

Double sided. Much easier to use.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    will3 wrote:
    symo wrote:

Double sided. Much easier to use.

Bing!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Asprilla wrote:
    For commuting I use SPDs and at the weekends I use Look Keos.

+1

I used Speedplay for a while last year but found absolutely no advantage over the Looks (and let's face it Shimano SPD-SLs are a Look copy)

Once you're used to a one sided pedal - which I assume you are - there's no advantage in Speedplay.

A £40 cleat with moving parts in it versus a £15 cleat, hmm let me think which one I'd rather stand in the mud on the roadside in during a sportive pee break?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"