T shirt for commute and London to Brighton ride

tatman69
tatman69 Posts: 176
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Now we are fianlly getting some warmer weather and I only started commuting to work last September Im looking for a T shirt to wear which will not soak up sweat etc like my endua Baa Baa I wear as a base layer in winter. As this is merion its going to be too hot in summer so any suggestions please?

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Any of these.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    tatman69 wrote:
    Now we are fianlly getting some warmer weather and I only started commuting to work last September Im looking for a T shirt to wear which will not soak up sweat etc like my endua Baa Baa I wear as a base layer in winter. As this is merion its going to be too hot in summer so any suggestions please?
    You could just get the short sleeve version of the base layer. :) That's what I've been doing for the last few summers.

Mike
  • tatman69
    Thanks Mud I have the short sleeved version...dont you get too hot?

I ride a MTB and those tight lyrcra jerseys just arent my thing to be honest
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    tatman69 wrote:

Endura do a looser jersey, I have one which i use on my mtb http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=273

and the other is what I use on both on it's own in the summer
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... prod_id=46

Both are comfy but obviously the latter one is snug.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Then buy a jersey thats too big for you.
    Any T-shirt will soak up the sweet and smell bad.
    Some people at my office where t-shirts and they stink out the changing room to the point where i want to gag everytime i go in there.
  • tatman69
    Exactly my point I want a jersey that doesnt soak up the sweat but hasnt got zips up the front...just a normal t shirt design.

Will try my baa baa but reckon it will be too hot
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    tatman69 wrote:
    Exactly my point I want a jersey that doesnt soak up the sweat but hasnt got zips up the front...just a normal t shirt design.

Will try my baa baa but reckon it will be too hot

http://www.rapha.cc/products/shirts-and-tshirts

Not cheap though...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Try the Uniqlo Heat-Tech t-shirts. Or get a running t-shirt.

Personally I find any kind of synthetic top stinks after one wear, even if it doesn't feel as sweaty, whereas I can wear a cotton t-shirt till its soaking in sweat and once its dried its fine for the ride home. Merino is probably the best combination of the two.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    tatman69 wrote:

That's why I use the base layers. A bit more T-shirt like than most cycling specific jerseys although you should be able to find an MTB style one that will be looser fit.

I've not found myself getting too hot. I've used various short sleeve base layers (merino & polyester) for indoor sports and don't find myself getting too hot even in the summer.

Most of the cycling jersey's that I have seen are made of a fairly similar fabric design as my polyester base layer so they will have the same smell issues that you get with polyester base layers.

Mike
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Try raceface - got a few loose ss of theirs for comfier rides on and off road in summer.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Any type of running top will do. You can get some cheap ones like Ron Hill or Lite Sports.

This one is a tenner & high viz (if that floats your boat):

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/LIT75/lite-sports-short-sleeve-super-dry-hi~viz-baselayer-running-t~shirt/
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.