Szczepaniak attempts suicide

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Sad

Young guys pushed into doping and it gets to this.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Very sad story.

Not to be too insensitive, but imagine how the guy who came in 3rd will be feeling right now. 3rd place to World Champ....
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Glad to hear the lad was saved from the worse.

You go from the highs of the podium to being exposed and banned very quickly. Did the rider even know whether they were getting EPO or "vitamins" from the dodgy coach.

Remember, doping rarely happens in isolation. It requires a network of bent pharmacists and crooked coaches. Few riders attempt "DIY" schemes.
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Truly horrible story. As much as I hate doping, it's not worth someone's life.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The manager hit the nail on the head - their Dad earns €250 a month in Poland, they could get €2500 through cycling, possibly even more.

Who wouldn't in those circumstances?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Only they got caught immediately for doping. If they kept working at it they could win clean.
  • Kléber wrote:

You go from the highs of the podium to being exposed and banned very quickly. Did the rider even know whether they were getting EPO or "vitamins" from the dodgy coach.

Remember, doping rarely happens in isolation. It requires a network of bent pharmacists and crooked coaches. Few riders attempt "DIY" schemes.

I do agree but I don't like the double standards here either. If he hadn't of tried to commit suicide then everyone would be raving about them being "dirty dopers". Sympathy where it belongs but it shouldn't cloud everyone's position towards doping and dopers. They tried to cheat and got caught. Try again in two years time.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited March 2010
    €250 a month? No wonder they're happy to undercut locals picking onions or packing meat for UK agri-business.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:

I do agree but I don't like the double standards here either. If he hadn't of tried to commit suicide then everyone would be raving about them being "dirty dopers". Sympathy where it belongs but it shouldn't cloud everyone's position towards doping and dopers. They tried to cheat and got caught. Try again in two years time.

It's hard to believe, considering they're 19 and 21, but both of the brothers have past form.

The older one got a one year ban for testing positive for testosterone at the 2006 Polish cx championships, and the younger one tested positive for something called nikethamide a year later. He got a post-dated TUE and a reduced ban.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Nikethamide? "Just do it".... ?
    Le Blaireau (1)